Climbing exped in Tenerife

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Bedpan2zero, Feb 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone been / organised an Exped to Tenerife for climbing?

Im thinking of getting one of the ground - but I'd rather hear from the voice of experience as to whether or not hte climbing was actually worth it
  2. if I told you all that i was taking a group of nurses on the exped, and would be looking for assistance

would that assist my quest for information??
  3. Bedpan, I've been to South Tenerife twice in the last two years and spent time hill walking. From a climbing view, I'd say you'd have some excellent choices for locations due to the nature of the island (a big, rocky volcano). I spotted a few climbing parties whilst out and about walking, and I understand they choose the Southern part of the island to climb due to the dry conditions (very humid in the North). If you swap the expedition title from climbing to hill walking, you would still get a lot out of it because of the incline of the landscape.

Not sure what you’d do for accommodation, but food and beer is very cheap (breakfast, either continental or English around 3 to 5 Euros, the usual all you can eat buffets = 10 Euros, glass of local beer anything from a Euro to 5 Euros).

Below is a sat image of the Island. The red line was the typical type of route I took whilst walking.

Have fun!

4. Gunny

you're a saint! i knew if i mentioned a group of bondage kitted nurses in tenerife someone would reply :thumright:
  5. When are you thinking of arranging your trip?

I could give you basic advice on some of the kit if you need a hand.
  6. G7 PAT have all the kit here - plenty of plenty!!

maybe mid november - do rememberance then hit the beaches, sorry rocks

wont be climbing for a full week - a days swimming, a day or two walking in hills, as opposed to between bars

sun, sangrea and...

7. This is what UK Climbing have to say about the place.

Try the AMA fastrack if you need qualified bods

Also your G3 PAT at Div may have a list of previous PXR's

Climb when ready....
  8. I stay in Los Cristianos (quit'ish area) which is next to the pub/niteclub district of Playa de las Americas. Around a 45 minute drive from Tenerife South airport (40 Euros in a taxi). Loads of self catering deals as well as bars, shops and resturants. Playa is around an hours walk if you stop at a few bars on the way. Miles of beaches, hills right behind the accomodation, bus station near by and loads of activites (water park, golf, scuba diving, etc). Loads of boat people from Africa wanting to brace your hair, loads of time share Brits after your dosh and loads of Asian shop owners who you can barter with for fake England footie tops or Nike trainers :thumright:
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Dont be fooled, you'd be waiting at the airport for days for the bus to turn up!!