climate threat activists threatening to shut down heathrow for 10 days.

Slight thread drift:-
In response to your very, by British standards, understated description of us here in gods paradise, having on many occasions met and mixed it with your fellow countrymen, while wearing the queens uniform, I was always taken by their overwhelming generosity towards us, on occasions the language barrier, the accents, and miss use of words and phrases, as in sidewalk, elevator, hood, trunk, and WTF is homily grits?, confused me, but on the whole an interesting experience. One incident springs to mind, a helicopter crew was in our mess tent on exercise,, at the time I smoked, the unwritten thing was to open a packet of cigarettes, and place them on the table, implying that everyone should help themselves, most did, the two aircrew, did not, and so I offered them with the words, Fag? all hell broke loose, and I very nearly became an ex soldier, then it was explained to me. While in their PX in southern Bavaria, I was struck by the sheer volume of goods on display, and the amount of food offered in the restaurants. I like the mind-set, a can do mentality, with an underlying feeling, that if cannot, I know someone who will. If you ever reach these hallowed shores, PM me, and I will show you the real England, the one that is not seen on the travel shows. Be lucky.

Last edited:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sounds like these folks need a bit of a slap. Willingly endangering the public is bad form.
When was this supposed to occur?
They will ensure that its not during during their Mediterranean holiday fortnight!

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
In response to your very, by British standards, understated description of us here in gods paradise, having on many occasions met and mixed it with your fellow countrymen, while wearing the queens uniform, I was always taken by their overwhelming generosity towards us, on occasions the language barrier, the accents, and miss use of words and phrases, as in sidewalk, elevator, hood, trunk, and WTF is homily grits?, confused me, but on the whole an interesting experience. One incident springs to mind, a helicopter crew was in our mess tent on exercise,, at the time I smoked, the unwritten thing was to open a packet of cigarettes, and place them on the table, implying that everyone should help themselves, most did, the two aircrew, did not, and so I offered them with the words, Fag? all hell broke loose, and I very nearly became an ex soldier, then it was explained to me. While in their PX in southern Bavaria, I was struck by the sheer volume of goods on display, and the amount of food offered in the restaurants. I like the mind-set, a can do mentality, with an underlying feeling, that if cannot, I know someone who will. If you ever reach these hallowed shores, PM me, and I will show you the real England, the one that is not seen on the travel shows. Be lucky.

You folks tend to have the curse and are more likable than others to be honest. But we are of two different cultures where miscommunication can and does easily occur. Granted one should also take things with a grain of salt.

Like the whole packet of smokes, ritual you just described. Back when I used to partake folks would just ask to bum one off of you if they saw you burning one down. We do go big and all out, so our restaurants and stores reflect that. Sometimes it is a good thing and sometimes it is still overwhelming and to many choices can be a negative thing at times.

But I also come from a place with very Spartanesque standards in some regards to life. I dress like a hobo at work, but will drop 300 bucks on a new parka for outdoor activities and consider deer camp the place to "dress up". Wealth and status are not determined solely by what one wears or drives.

Generally speaking the salt of the earth peoples get more unsung praise and respect then others. Not all Americans are the showboating gloating types either. Quite a few are very modest and hate the spotlight that we are stereotyped for loving.

[QUOTE

Batons and shields are especially effective against drones I’ve heard.
not that great for drones but bloody brilliant for rouge drone operators skulls:D

NSP

LE
Activists said they will use drones to shut down Heathrow, if expansion plans are not cancelled,. Here's a good opertunity for the thin blue line to practise their search and apprehend techniques, and the RA in some serious Ground to air sniping, and maybe the crabs a bit of air to air destruction, also put a battalion or two of troops on the ground to flush out the operators, using live rounds, the opportunity's are endless for some real training, using live enemy that are putting the safety and economy of UK at great risk Over to you gentlemen.

Mods move this thread if needed, I could not think of an appropriate thread heading.
That's not very green. Think of the carbon footprint from all those fired small arms.

The_Duke

LE
Slight thread drift:-
You have just single handedly killed the U.K. tourism industry.

I'm almost with the protestors. A few months ago I had to attend a meeting near Heathrow at a Regus office.

The traffic was bl**dy awful at 1100 hrs, and the noise and fumes from the airport unbelievable. Much as I love the smell of Jet A1 in the morning, it was pretty horrendous.

And then we're clamping down on cars in cities, but building a 3rd runway so that hoardes of tattooed, shaven headed fat people can go to Marbella. Last I checked you can't put a DPF or catalytic converter on a jet engine.

Whilst I sympathise with their aims, I don't necessarily agree with how they are going about achieving them.

[/sensible off/]

Burn them with fire.
Heathrow has comparatively few flights that cater for the knuckle dragger. For this you need to use Gatwick or that above ground sewer, Luton. Stansted doesn’t count as it’s nearer Rejkavik than London.

Jet fuel is comparatively low polluting, even more so now as modern aircraft are extremely fuel efficient and airlines are re equipping with them as the outlay costs are quickly defrayed by reduced operating cost.

What does increase airport pollution are silly things like not enough runway capacity, runways being closed by muppets flying drones, local “environmental” restrictions that limit operating hours etc. All of these have aircraft flying pointless circles or sat at holding points awaiting departure slot times. Most could be removed by applying common sense and ignoring the Green argument that is largely based on data that is 25 years out of date.

Coming off the Atlantic many mornings when there are strong tailwinds are swarms of aircraft slowing down and going into the hold to avoid night curfews. They can’t leave late to offset this because they get fined for being off slot and they can’t arrive early for the same reason so are forced to fly at inefficient speeds then sit in the hold, all in the name of environmentalism.

Google “irony”.

NAAFI Check? Melt them down for tallow and their mates can offset their carbon footprint by switching the lights off and making tallow candles.

You have just single handedly killed the U.K. tourism industry.

I don't really know how to answer that, only that the usual tourist spots are well known, and that I tend to favour the older buildings and more obscure venues,. Not many septic's head into the Cotswolds, or the medieval piles that cover these islands, and how many venture into the back streets of old london.

In the square mile there are alley ways and courts that are not readily visible, one of them houses the diamond exchange, its behind the mansion house, some of these narrow walk ways ( New change) have existed for a 1000 years, containing bow fronted shops that dickens and Mayhew would recognise, in my part of the old east end, in the courts and alleyways off Middlesex street ( Petticoat lane) still stands the original buildings that the French Huguenot's lived in, and the area in 1888, was the location of the Whitechapel murders( Jack the ripper), and the surrounding area was also the stomping ground for the kray twins, ( Blind beggar pub) who had 79 evering road in stoke Newington as their house of horror, that saga is a whole story in itself, and one in which my wifes family is involved. behind St Pauls, there is Chuffs, a shop dedicated to steam trains, in lothbury, behind the bank of England, the road descends into the gold vaults, the whole road is one giant lift. This and other places, venues are what I mean, the things that are not seen or shown in the travel brochures and TV advertisements. St Mary Axe, now totally swamped by glass and concrete, the only place that you can photograph it in its entirety, is from the Lloyds car park. who would know where the london stone is situated? its in cannon street its visible, if you crouch down and look through the grill, now part of the bank of china, and the temple of Minerva, also in the square mile, as is the wonderful leadenhall covered market, all these places, lost to big ben, Harrods, Piccadilly circus, the tower of london, ( In 1975 I gave the fire order on the gun park) and tower bridge ( My great grandfather was a Forman builder on the bridge) and Buckingham palace, ( Did duty there)

This then is my london, where I worked and was brought up in. where the film, TV and theatre, have their main offices in wardour, Denmark and surrounding streets & soho square and, the famous Carnaby street, originally a plague pit, the only shop to survive there now is Inderwicks at 45 Carnaby street, the tobacco and cigar shop, now, 200 years old. ( My fathers shop and offices were at 47, above a boutique) When working all over this island, I made a point of visiting the places of interest where I was working, weather it be Scotland, Yorkshire or the west country. Now I am retired, and have time to visit the more obscure delights of this island, that is what I meant when I mentioned," The places the tourists never see."......or know about.

Last edited:
The protestors should all be rounded up and made to help aviation safety. By launching them into fully burning and turning engines to test for FOD damage.
This test has been done. It was a suicide, iirc a gay chap had been binned by his partner and they both worked at an airport (Caribbean?) and puréed himself in an RB211. I know the guy who was pilot and apparently the engine gauges barely flickered....

An earlier poster mentioned the cost of diverting flights from their intended destinations...perhaps a little pre emption by the airlines stating that they will sue for all costs incurred due to climate change activists, and in addition will support any class and individual claims by passengers.
Unfortunately the environmental lobby has the ear of the general public and airline travel for many is an annual event when airlines generally don’t treat their customers that well. Air travel is generally an ordeal for many reasons but the airlines usually get the blame as it’s them that sell the ticket.

Airlines are therefore w@nkers and disruption of their business is of little interest to the general public as long as it doesn’t happen on the two days a year that most of them actually set foot in an airport.

For an airline to therefore make threats against a movement that the public are broadly supportive of is likely to backfire.

As for the costs of a diversion, not huge because the fuel is already carried but what does cost is that you now have an aircraft, crew and two sets of pax in the wrong place. The £ cost is insured and that cost is eventually passed on to the unsuspecting punter but the risk of reputational damage in how you subsequently deal with the mess is significant.

Soapy tit w@nk etc

Edit to add: When this circus recently swarmed London the complaint from Joe Public wasn’t against the stance they were taking, it was against the inconvenience they caused to those affected. Commuters in say Manchester couldn’t have cared less; it didn’t affect them.

these cockwombles are the reason the dept for transport have got their claws into the radio control aircraft world , after December any of us flying a plane over 250 grams need to be registered , and the annual fee £16.50, and we have to take an on line test (that's going to be difficult to cheat!!)
all because these cnuts fly a drone where they shouldn't
It's not as if anyone that is going to try and close an airport down , or fly drugs into a prison is going to think " wait a mo , I think my annual subscription has expired!"
No but it does make them easier to prosecute on specific legislation. Sorry, I was part of the lobby to bring some control to this!

No but it does make them easier to prosecute on specific legislation. Sorry, I was part of the lobby to bring some control to this!

Do not apologise for trying to get some sort of control, unfortunately its the small minority in any pursuit, sport, or hobby that screw it up for the majority by acting like knobs, we have seen it with firearms, blade collectors (Me) and air weapons, now its drones and all beacause a handful of dickheads insist on their god given rights, to disrupt normal day to day working.

Like the whole packet of smokes, ritual you just described. Back when I used to partake folks would just ask to bum one off of you if they saw you burning one down.
Ah yes, bumming fags, I sometimes do that at bike rallies, off my friends.
I will leave it at that.

Ah yes, bumming fags, I sometimes do that at bike rallies, off my friends.
I will leave it at that.
Oh you went to Public School as well did you?

Latest Threads