Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Climate Change: Scientists Say "Last Chance"

anglo

LE
But Germany has enough generation capacity, without nuclear and coal. Shed loads of wind farms, especially in the North Sea. Too bad they're not connected to those areas where the power is needed. In fact the North Sea wind farms aren't generating at all, they're even consuming power in order not to sieze up. So when the last coal and nuclear powered stations close in the not too distant future all will be well. Or so gov't sources and the media keep telling us.
What a electric grid systems to keep it stable is what is known as spinning inertia,
the conventional power plants had this due to having rotating machines,
Wind turbines and solar panel have no spinning inertia and if you tie them together
electrically they are unstable, this is just one of the disadvantages of using wind turbines,

This explains it

Whilst I'm never going to become some XR lunatic, I have just watched David Attenborough's latest and it's pretty shocking to see how much of the world's natural habitats we've destroyed as a species in such a short space of time. As is the point of the documentary I'd like to hope that worldwide efforts can reverse it somewhat.
Takeaway point - people need to stop producing so many people!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Whilst I'm never going to become some XR lunatic, I have just watched David Attenborough's latest and it's pretty shocking to see how much of the world's natural habitats we've destroyed as a species in such a short space of time. As is the point of the documentary I'd like to hope that worldwide efforts can reverse it somewhat.

It is a shame that XR (don't know about Attenborough then) were not playing the terrorist game when Brazilian rain forests were being uprooted some ten, twenty and thirty years ago. Still I suppose all that profit would have helped for a lot of their pensions.

It is a shame that XR (don't know about Attenborough then) were not playing the terrorist game when Brazilian rain forests were being uprooted some ten, twenty and thirty years ago. Still I suppose all that profit would have helped for a lot of their pensions.

Perhaps XR should think about actually doing some good by targeting those groups who are breeding like rats. Those with a negative growth rate are not the ones they should worry about, but in their little bubble it's nekulturnyy to address the actual problem.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

I despise the MMGW lobby for two main reasons.

Firstly, if they really believed that CO2 was a threat, they'd have pushed for nuclear twenty years ago.

Secondly, the biggest environmental threat we face, and it's been the case for years, is habitat loss/degradation and the corresponding loss of bio-diversity. This is due in large part to the massive increase in the human population and people looking for somewhere to live.

Of course, population control is the third rail for the environmental movement so it's much easier to jet to conferences in resorts like Cancun to discuss the non-problem of plant food in the atmosphere which is, by definition, unresolvable, rather than flirting with the Adolph Eichmann Award by trying to tackle a serious and demonstrable threat.

It also helps that global warming alarmism is a proven crisis mechanism for raising taxes if you're a government and for turning a shilling if you're a business.

Interestingly, Attenborough tried to make the point about population increase around twenty years ago but did so at the expense of MMGW and the greenies did a number on him (a bit like they did to Bellamy but Bellamy wouldn't recant). It seems he's learned his lesson and is now pushing the over-population message alongside MMGW.

Dread

LE
Were you aware that the Amazon rainforest is not a 'pristine environment'? 600 years ago the region was covered with a network of villages, temples, fortifications and fields that would have made the region utterly unrecognisable to the jungle of today. Public (and most academic) perception of the Amazon basin is of pristine (i.e. untouched) jungle with less that 2 million people hugging the Amazon and its tributaries.

Reality is that the population was more likely between 15 and 20 million people: more than live there today (3.74 million). So what happened? The Spanish and Portuguese happened: their genocidal activities and the diseases they brought with them wiped out the locals. In that part of the world, much of the jungle can grow back within 65 years, and 300 years will see it pretty much indistinguishable from 2,000 year old jungle. Unlike N. American and European forests, trees in the jungle don't live for 500 years. Amazon Jungle Once Home to Millions More Than Previously Thought

It may be interesting to see the global warming nutjobs and Swedish Doom Goblin explain this one:

In fact climate change in more recent times has changed the world.

In the sixth century, Scandinavian society began to crumble. The cause of this sharp decline was a huge series of volcanic eruptions, which took place in what is now El Salvador between the years 536 and 540. The volcano ejected so much ash that it changed the earth’s climate. Dust blocked out the sun, average temperatures fell and harvests failed. Northern Europe was particularly affected and in the famines and migrations that followed, Scandinavia lost around 50 per cent of its inhabitants....
So they got in their boats, and set off for other lands; Britain, Ireland, America, France, Spain, North Africa, Byzantium, Baghdad, Azerbaijan and even settling in The Ukraine.
But an even more profound change was to come. After the battle of Chartres in 911, the French king, Charles the Simple, was forced into negotiations with the invading Viking army. To appease the northerners, he granted them territory, which became known as ‘the land of the Northmen’, or Nordmannia, now known as Normandy. It was the descendants of these Vikings who, in 1066, invaded and subjugated Britain.
Looks like a great book, I just need to think of someone to buy it for for Christmas

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Were you aware that the Amazon rainforest is not a 'pristine environment'? 600 years ago the region was covered with a network of villages, temples, fortifications and fields that would have made the region utterly unrecognisable to the jungle of today. Public (and most academic) perception of the Amazon basin is of pristine (i.e. untouched) jungle with less that 2 million people hugging the Amazon and its tributaries.

Reality is that the population was more likely between 15 and 20 million people: more than live there today (3.74 million). So what happened? The Spanish and Portuguese happened: their genocidal activities and the diseases they brought with them wiped out the locals. In that part of the world, much of the jungle can grow back within 65 years, and 300 years will see it pretty much indistinguishable from 2,000 year old jungle. Unlike N. American and European forests, trees in the jungle don't live for 500 years. Amazon Jungle Once Home to Millions More Than Previously Thought

Yes.

Latest Threads