Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Climate Change: Scientists Say "Last Chance"

Seems those wind turbines are not playing nice atm!

ETA: Well, that didn't embed right, need to find out what went wrong!
EETA: Fixed! And I'm a dumbass.

This winter is going to be interesting

Well with Covid on going it's not going to be the winter of our disco tents, social distancing will put paid to that

Tyk

LE
I admit I was more than a bit concerned by the recent announcement of building a lot more offshore wind farms. Even though there's a fair bit of wind in the UK it's simply not up to the task, maintenance is also a real bastard.

There is only one reliable, rational and effective "renewable" electricity generating source and that's hydro. However that needs a whole bunch of the rainy, hilly and suitably valley shaped bits of the UK to have dams built, the Jocks aren't keen which is a shame as it would give them a serious and viable industry like the Norwegians have done.

Well with Covid on going it's not going to be the winter of our disco tents, social distancing will put paid to that

Groan button, calling groan button....

I admit I was more than a bit concerned by the recent announcement of building a lot more offshore wind farms. Even though there's a fair bit of wind in the UK it's simply not up to the task, maintenance is also a real bastard.

There is only one reliable, rational and effective "renewable" electricity generating source and that's hydro. However that needs a whole bunch of the rainy, hilly and suitably valley shaped bits of the UK to have dams built, the Jocks aren't keen which is a shame as it would give them a serious and viable industry like the Norwegians have done.
After all the rhetoric about British jobs in renewables, I would be interested to know the proportion of equipment deployed in the UK and in UK waters, that was/is manufactured in the UK as opposed to imported. My understanding is that the bulk of wind generators are provided by mainland European countries such as Netherlands, Denmark and Germany and that the majority of solar panels and batteries are manufactured in China. Happy to be corrected.

Tyk

LE
After all the rhetoric about British jobs in renewables, I would be interested to know the proportion of equipment deployed in the UK and in UK waters, that was/is manufactured in the UK as opposed to imported. My understanding is that the bulk of wind generators are provided by mainland European countries such as Netherlands, Denmark and Germany and that the majority of solar panels and batteries are manufactured in China. Happy to be corrected.

Not that solar matters in the UK, but I believe you're right on both counts. There was much fuss made about British manufactured wind turbines, basically a bolt or two applied in the UK qualified as "manufacture".

I'm utterly unconvinced that wind generation is meaningful, if it was all the hills round me would be heavily populated, sure there are some, but not a whole lot and I'm in the middle of the freaking Pennines which are damn windy. I actually see more wind turbines driving to Brussels from the Chunnel than I do round here.

If we're not going to get more Nuclear and coal fired is going out, with the demand for electric vehicles (yeah right, like that's sensible) we're at some risk generation wise, major scale Hydro would not only work it would be sensible and we'd even be able to export power which Germany and France need badly.

Not that solar matters in the UK, but I believe you're right on both counts. There was much fuss made about British manufactured wind turbines, basically a bolt or two applied in the UK qualified as "manufacture".

I'm utterly unconvinced that wind generation is meaningful, if it was all the hills round me would be heavily populated, sure there are some, but not a whole lot and I'm in the middle of the freaking Pennines which are damn windy. I actually see more wind turbines driving to Brussels from the Chunnel than I do round here.

If we're not going to get more Nuclear and coal fired is going out, with the demand for electric vehicles (yeah right, like that's sensible) we're at some risk generation wise, major scale Hydro would not only work it would be sensible and we'd even be able to export power which Germany and France need badly.
Storage is the issue for wind in particular but also solar power. I found a list of the top ten lithium "projects". Five in Australia (at least one is Chinese owned) and one each in Canada, US, Mexico, Mali, Zimbabwe.
Top ten biggest lithium mines in the world based on reserves
There is some lithium in Cornwall but I don't know it's scale Cornish Lithium Ltd | Lithium exploration within Cornwall, UK
Hydro pumped storage could use renewables as well as or instead of nuclear.
Other battery technologies exist. RR micro nuclear will be interesting.

Tyk

LE
Storage is the issue for wind in particular but also solar power. I found a list of the top ten lithium "projects". Five in Australia (at least one is Chinese owned) and one each in Canada, US, Mexico, Mali, Zimbabwe.
There is some lithium in Cornwall but I don't know it's scale Cornish Lithium Ltd | Lithium exploration within Cornwall, UK

Well, there's always the Dinorwig style storage solution (Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia), but why bother, cut out the intermediate engineering and just do hydro in the first place. Dinorwig was built for a damn good reason at a time when the UK had a seriously large capacity to overproduce electricity.
Battery storage isn't a sensible long term solution, especially if you're doing the renewables to avoid pollution. Batteries look very innocuous, but there's no shortage of odd stuff that's damn hard to get in them.

Well, there's always the Dinorwig style storage solution (Dinorwig Power Station - Wikipedia), but why bother, cut out the intermediate engineering and just do hydro in the first place. Dinorwig was built for a damn good reason at a time when the UK had a seriously large capacity to overproduce electricity.
Battery storage isn't a sensible long term solution, especially if you're doing the renewables to avoid pollution. Batteries look very innocuous, but there's no shortage of odd stuff that's damn hard to get in them.
ISTR that we’ve tapped most pump storage sites up all ready.

Not to mean ruin that that kind of stuff would be almost impossible to get through planning.

Pump storage is also excessively expensive to pump in the first place .

ISTR that we’ve tapped most pump storage sites up all ready.

Not to mean ruin that that kind of stuff would be almost impossible to get through planning.

Pump storage is also excessively expensive to pump in the first place .
It is tricky. Smaller, more localised projects are probably about the limit in the UK these days. Tidal has already been demonstrated to be a fairly reliable method but there has been a lot of opposition.

Exactly how California has screwed the pooch. Lots of Solar energy but storage issues. Same with Wind ( but maintaining them is $ and its killing birds by the thousands, upsetting the Greenies ironically). So we are left with a small amount of Hydroelectric.

Hence the 'brown outs' and the highest energy costs in the U.S. That's progress. Also the Govenor pledged no more Gasoline engines by 2035.... That wont put a strain on an already crippled system...

Capacitors instead?

Exactly how California has screwed the pooch. Lots of Solar energy but storage issues. Same with Wind ( but maintaining them is $ and its killing birds by the thousands, upsetting the Greenies ironically). So we are left with a small amount of Hydroelectric.

Hence the 'brown outs' and the highest energy costs in the U.S. That's progress. Also the Govenor pledged no more Gasoline engines by 2035.... That wont put a strain on an already crippled system...
Wind farms are being built out here to supply California with electricity. But if I were you I would move. Your state is going to be at the mercy of others who hate it with a passion.

Wind farms are being built out here to supply California with electricity. But if I were you I would move. Your state is going to be at the mercy of others who hate it with a passion.

Applied for a job in TX yesterday.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It is tricky. Smaller, more localised projects are probably about the limit in the UK these days. Tidal has already been demonstrated to be a fairly reliable method but there has been a lot of opposition.

A suitable project was in use in 1951 using the water from the Thames to heat the Royal Festival Hall.

Latest Threads