Climate Change: Scientists Say "Last Chance"

If you wouldn't mind getting him to explain it to me at the same time that would be good.

Not a pisstake (and most of my information is about a decade out of date) but I was under the impression that the ozone layer and temperatures at the surface weren't related. Destruction of the ozone layer was mainly due to chlorine free radicals and the subsequent chain reactions whereas global warming is due to the absorption of IR emitted from the Earth's surface. As far as I understand it anyway.
UV is more energetic than IR, and, obviously the absorption of UV by the ozone layer heats the ozone layer, and that heat, obviously, must be slowly diffused to lower layers. The question to answer would be "How much?"

OneTenner

Old-Salt
I found this quite interesting
Firstly, it analyses the geological record, something the current crop of climate 'scientists' do not, secondly, there's no hint of hysterics and thirdly, the lake has dried up twice in the last seventeen thousand years

I found this quite interesting
Firstly, it analyses the geological record, something the current crop of climate 'scientists' do not, secondly, there's no hint of hysterics and thirdly, the lake has dried up twice in the last seventeen thousand years
Are you a climatologist? Asking as a genuine question.....do you know many parameters (incl geology) go in to their models and forecasting?

craven50

Old-Salt
Are you a climatologist? Asking as a genuine question.....do you know many parameters (incl geology) go in to their models and forecasting?
Not a "climatoligist! That's a new word from my university days! Any computer modeling is open to great errors due to slight errors imputed! Even a GCSE student knows that :D
I am on the fence with this topic. :rolleyes:

Oh no! Don't throw away your thermals yet!
Earth could face frosty weather and biting snow storms over the next 30 years as an ominous "solar minimum" grips the planet, a scientist has warned.
The cold snaps – caused by the Sun entering a natural "hibernation" – threaten to trigger food shortages as temperatures slump across the planet, experts say.
Earth is bracing for a solar minimum: a quiet period in which the Sun fires less energy – or, heat – at our planet than usual. According to Nasa, the Sun will reach its lowest activity in over 200 years in 2020. This could cause average temperatures to drop as much as 1C in a cold spell lasting 12 months, according to Northumbria University expert Valentina Zharkova.

Not sure how she worked that out as the science is settled (allegedly).

Earth could face frosty weather and biting snow storms over the next 30 years as an ominous "solar minimum" grips the planet, a scientist has warned.
The cold snaps – caused by the Sun entering a natural "hibernation" – threaten to trigger food shortages as temperatures slump across the planet, experts say.
Earth is bracing for a solar minimum: a quiet period in which the Sun fires less energy – or, heat – at our planet than usual. According to Nasa, the Sun will reach its lowest activity in over 200 years in 2020. This could cause average temperatures to drop as much as 1C in a cold spell lasting 12 months, according to Northumbria University expert Valentina Zharkova.

And during the solar minimum, as well as when the sun wakes back up from the big nap, it is possible that we will have a significant portion of our Earth's surface scorched. I have mentioned these possible results - increased solar flares of the wake up, the increase in the chance of cosmic rays frying us as the heliosphere is suppressed during the solar minimum, and the cooler temps that we will definitely experience from happy sunny nappy time at least a few times in this thread.

Amazingly enough on my Christmas holiday in Kenya . We were in a camp lodge with a family from the USA. The dad was OK , not your normal loud yank and both the mum and dad hated Trump.

Anyway he has his own finance and insurance company , 400 employees and offices from Florida to New York.

As were enjoying the beautiful Kenyan bush and also the sun downers and dinners. We put the world to rights.

Talking about climate change, he mentioned that most of his wealthier customers with beach front properties, especially in Florida are all selling up there and buying cheaper , if you can use that term, cheaper land way back from the cost. This is really screwing up the poorer folks as , correspondingly the prices for that “cheaper” land is going up . Their long term aim is to rebuild their “beach” front properties when the sea rises.

Love the fact that the Orange muppet is in total denial of climate change but will lose his, or his kids will lose the Mar-e-Lago “White House in the South” in the future.
Will the family lose out though. Probably not if the past has anything to go by.

Trump , crooked . Never....

Hurricane insurance claim
Trump received a $17 million insurance payment for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago after the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, for damage to the "landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion", as he described. Anthony Senecal, Trump's former butler at the resort and later its "in-house historian", said some trees behind the resort had been flattened and some roof tiles were lost, but "That house has never been seriously damaged. I was there for all [the hurricanes]."

anglo

LE

FFS, I've just bought 500 litres of Sun Protect & Moisture Lotion

mutter, mutter Bastards told me it's going to get hot, fecking *******

Sea level rise in Florida you say?
Beach at Fort Lauderdale 1960
View attachment 447857
Beach at Fort Lauderdale 2014
View attachment 447858
Fancy a quick game of spot the sea level difference?
Fancy a quick read of the post. It’s not me stating this , it’s those pesky, no nothing kids, oh sorry scientists with ACTUAL data. Stating that there has been a recorded rise in sea levels and that 61,000 tons of sand is being dumped on Florida beaches to stop it.

Another thing to think about is where the 61,000 tons of sand comes from?

Turns out sand from , say a big fucc off huge desert is the wrong type of sand.
So you have to steal sand from Peter to give it to Paul. Yep the USA can buy cheap sea sand from other places but even sand is now stolen and faked?

Maybe read the last article to see how taking sand from the San Jacinto River made floods worse in Huston .

Barack is so worried about sea level rise that:
Meanwhile an inconvenient truth for a previous presidential hopeful turned Climate God

Last edited:
Fancy a quick read of the post. It’s not me stating this , it’s those pesky, no nothing kids, oh sorry scientists with ACTUAL data. Stating that there has been a recorded rise in sea levels and that 61,000 tons of sand is being dumped on Florida beaches to stop it.

Another thing to think about is where the 61,000 tons of sand comes from?

Turns out sand from , say a big fucc off huge desert is the wrong type of sand.
So you have to steal sand from Peter to give it to Paul. Yep the USA can buy cheap sea sand from other places but even sand is now stolen and faked?

Maybe read the last article to see how taking sand from the San Jacinto River made floods worse in Huston .
Ok. Did you miss this bit?
Generally speaking, the sea level is rising faster on the US east and Gulf coasts compared with the US west coast, partially because land on the eastern seaboard is gradually sinking.
Think we can prevent the land from sinking by cutting Co2 emission?

I also notice that, in common with many of these climate panic stories, it is chock full of “probably” and “our models predict”.

A nice quote to end this post

The prospect of domination of the nation’s scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present – and is gravely to be regarded. Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

– President Eisenhower 1960

Sea level has been rising for 20,000 years. Apparently everything to the left of just beside zero on the sea level change axis was natural but the very last little bit covering the last 100 years is man made due to climate change.
3C35219A-E8F4-40EB-9FE3-6017B1F83BE6.png

Sceptical? Me? Just a little

Amazingly enough on my Christmas holiday in Kenya . We were in a camp lodge with a family from the USA. The dad was OK , not your normal loud yank and both the mum and dad hated Trump.

Anyway he has his own finance and insurance company , 400 employees and offices from Florida to New York.

As were enjoying the beautiful Kenyan bush and also the sun downers and dinners. We put the world to rights.

Talking about climate change, he mentioned that most of his wealthier customers with beach front properties, especially in Florida are all selling up there and buying cheaper , if you can use that term, cheaper land way back from the cost. This is really screwing up the poorer folks as , correspondingly the prices for that “cheaper” land is going up . Their long term aim is to rebuild their “beach” front properties when the sea rises.

Love the fact that the Orange muppet is in total denial of climate change but will lose his, or his kids will lose the Mar-e-Lago “White House in the South” in the future.
Will the family lose out though. Probably not if the past has anything to go by.

Trump , crooked . Never....

Hurricane insurance claim
Trump received a $17 million insurance payment for hurricane damage to Mar-a-Lago after the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, for damage to the "landscaping, roofing, walls, painting, leaks, artwork in the tapestries, tiles, Spanish tiles, the beach, the erosion", as he described. Anthony Senecal, Trump's former butler at the resort and later its "in-house historian", said some trees behind the resort had been flattened and some roof tiles were lost, but "That house has never been seriously damaged. I was there for all [the hurricanes]."
You cant be serious? Inland property that will soon be beach property? Jeezus Christ, I have some land to sell to the spackers too.

You cant be serious? Inland property that will soon be beach property? Jeezus Christ, I have some land to sell to the spackers too.
Read the post , it’s not about tomorrow , like the 5th of Feb 2020. It’s about the long term. No idea where you live , hope it’s not close to the sea front.
Mind have a look at the Australian fires. Or the melting of the Greenland Glaciers. All these scientists must be drinking drain fluid to make “up” these stupid facts.

Read the post , it’s not about tomorrow , like the 5th of Feb 2020. It’s about the long term. No idea where you live , hope it’s not close to the sea front.
Mind have a look at the Australian fires. Or the melting of the Greenland Glaciers. All these scientists must be drinking drain fluid to make “up” these stupid facts.
Haha - I am blessed to have my office located 8ft from a seawall and live close ( not close enough for me ) to the ocean. I can see the current water levels from my desk - and also have pictures the marina from 1963 ( when it was finished). Guess what - the levels are not higher (from looking at it with my eye) and actually look lower.

Property values.... Massively higher at the ocean. Made up facts? I look out of the window.

No. Just ensuring the continued receipt of all the benefits of government grant and study money possible.

Read this 78 page thread... all the same assertions you are bringing up, refuted multiple times, yet the same people keep bringing the same lies back up time and time again when they are proved to be lacking in basic scientific rigor.

BTW... Ocean levels rise and fall creating erosion every day... it's called the Tide. Mostly influenced by the mass in our orbit known as the Moon. Perhaps carbon taxes will get it to "stand still" in orbit so that we can know where the water will be every day... oh, we do? You mean there are charts of that type of stuff from observations made for thousands of years by people that just look at water every day? That isn't very exciting...

Haha - I am blessed to have my office located 8ft from a seawall and live close ( not close enough for me ) to the ocean. I can see the current water levels from my desk - and also have pictures the marina from 1963 ( when it was finished). Guess what - the levels are not higher (from looking at it with my eye) and actually look lower.

Property values.... Massively higher at the ocean. Made up facts? I look out of the window.
Keep burying your head in the sand outside your window.

Latest Threads