Climate Change: Scientists Say "Last Chance"

Oh I do.
But ze Germans get rather preachy, until it comes out that their shit stinks!
Can I correct you.
The German gvmt stinks.
The people are fine.
BTW I have just spent a weekend with an ex Brit who has your attitude to firearm ownership.
He put up a good case.
That is probably the difference in having a conversation face to face over a few Kronenburgs than on line.

Climate Stasis: German Failure on the Road to a Renewable Future - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

Oh the Irony...
People wonder why Merica tends to ignore Europe on much of anything these days.
Germany is not Europe, although many would allege it is depending on who they're blaming and why.

However, the article is about Germany failing to meet its own set goals and targets, contrasting it with Holland, Sweden, etc., also in Europe of course, who are getting on with meeting their environmental goals.

Can I correct you.
The German gvmt stinks.
The people are fine.
BTW I have just spent a weekend with an ex Brit who has your attitude to firearm ownership.
He put up a good case.
That is probably the difference in having a conversation face to face over a few Kronenburgs than on line.
I think face to face is easier. But I am not surprised, once you come here and have these rights most are loathe to give them up. It may sound rather simple, but people who don’t have these rights come here and are mind blown.

Germany is not Europe, although many would allege it is depending on who they're blaming and why.

However, the article is about Germany failing to meet its own set goals and targets, contrasting it with Holland, Sweden, etc., also in Europe of course, who are getting on with meeting their environmental goals.
NY and CA are not America, but in the minds of many they are...

I was looking for an appropriate thread to put this in (possibly the BBC bias thread), but here seems appropriate

The UN’s extinction warning doesn’t add up | The Spectator

Great (mis)use of statistics regurgitated by the BBC. The penultimate paragraph sums it up so well;
Let’s return to the News at Ten. The BBC newsreader, summarising the (unpublished) IPBES report, said that 40 per cent of amphibians are among those species ‘at risk of imminent extinction’. Sure enough, that 40 per cent figure appears in the IPBES press release and on the Red List website. But about a third of those amphibians fall into the ‘vulnerable’ category, so describing their extinction as ‘imminent’ is a bit of a stretch. It’s like saying that because Manchester City faces a 10 per cent risk of being relegated in the next 100 years, the club is ‘at risk of imminent relegation’. For those who don’t follow football, Man City look likely to be crowned Premier League champions on Saturday.

I'm not going to get into the rest of your post as it will just end up going round in circles. However, do you have any evidence for this?

Everything I've seen is that global sea levels have been rising steadily but slowly for the last 200 years or so.
There's very slight gradual long-term rising and then there's hysterical nonsense put about the climate brigade that we're all about to drown. I found this article informative and rather more realistic than most....
http://www.climatechangefacts.info/ClimateChangeDocuments/NilsAxelMornerinterview.pdf

NY and CA are not America, but in the minds of many they are...
So what is "America" in your mind? Our country is so vast and varied it's hard to pin down what "America" is - there will always be differing opinions of what "America" is - will mean different things to different people.

So what is "America" in your mind? Our country is so vast and varied it's hard to pin down what "America" is - there will always be differing opinions of what "America" is - will mean different things to different people.
If I had to sum that shit-heap up in a single word - "racist" would probably do.

My America is the low populated flyover country. Not California or New York, those places are more akin to foreign countries.

Totally agree. I always push back on people who claim something (food, literature, architecture etc) is so 'Americanised'. I say to them which bit of 'America' springs to mind? Alaska, Louisiana, Arizona, or Washington State? It's like saying something is 'European' without considering the differences between Ireland, Portugal, Luxembourg, or Greece

There's very slight gradual long-term rising and then there's hysterical nonsense put about the climate brigade that we're all about to drown. I found this article informative and rather more realistic than most....
http://www.climatechangefacts.info/ClimateChangeDocuments/NilsAxelMornerinterview.pdf
I remember about 10 years ago that the "scientists" were telling us that the Great Lakes were in danger of drying up. But in 2019, we're undergoing a second year of floods. I just look at all these Doomsday scenarios, shrug, and might break wind in way of response.

Climate change isn't just about temperature. That's a massive over-simplification. CO2 also causes acidification of the sea amongst other things.

I spent several years doing computer modelling. One thing that I can tell you is that very large systems do unexpected things. I had a period of modelling very large (>50,000 tons) oil tanks exposed to fires. Nothing much happened until a certain temperature profile was reached at which point a phenomenon called "tank roll-over" occurred i.e. the superheated lower oil would suddenly change places with the cooler upper layer and the tank contents would then boil over.

I won't bore you wil the details, but what I can tell you is that once you start a big system moving, it takes a hell of a lot to stop it and you probably won't like the results. The larger the system the more of a b'stard it is to stop.

Right now we are shagged. It doesn't really matter what the little UK does, the Chinese are building 2x 750 MW coal fired power stations every week. Some crazy kunt in Brazil is talking about razing rain forests to plant palm oil, many people in the UK think having a 3rd runway at Heathrow is a GOOD IDEA [not me] and domestic appliances are obsolete after 3 years.

I'm glad I'm going to be dead in about 20 years, but I fear for my children.

Climate change isn't just about temperature. That's a massive over-simplification. CO2 also causes acidification of the sea amongst other things.

I'm glad I'm going to be dead in about 20 years, but I fear for my children.
Doesn't matter - this shit and debate will go on and on forever long after we are dead. I am 35...almost 36... So I know I will gone soon as well..

Sometimes you have to be sceptical about the sceptical counterclaims.

It seems Dr Nils Axel could be a bit of a nut job conspiracy theorist who thought teaching dowsing should be part of his course. Suffice to say I don’t think he’s a credible expert.

Nils-Axel Mörner is Wrong About Sea Level Rise

Nils-Axel Mörner - Wikipedia

Latest Threads