Climate Change: Scientists Say "Last Chance"

Climate change scientists have told politicians they need to act NOW:

It's the final call, say scientists, the most extensive warning yet on the risks of rising global temperatures.

Their dramatic report on keeping that rise under 1.5 degrees C states that the world is now completely off track, heading instead towards 3C.

Staying below 1.5C will require "rapid, far-reaching and unprecedented changes in all aspects of society".

It will be hugely expensive, the report says, but the window of opportunity is not yet closed.
They go on to give a list of items that MUST be addressed:

1. Global emissions of CO2 need to decline by 45% from 2010 levels by 2030.
  2. Renewables are estimated to provide up to 85% of global electricity by 2050.
  3. Coal is expected to reduce to close to zero.
  4. Up to 7 million sq km of land will be needed for energy crops (a bit less than the size of Australia).
  5. Global net zero emissions by 2050.
OK, so what's the game here - no mention whatsoever of the greatest driver of increased CO2 emissions: There are far too many humans on the bloody planet already!

They really do seem to be ignoring the proverbial elephant in the room.

And cows. Cow farts add huge amounts to CO2 emissions. However I wholeheartedly agree, there's way too many humans on the planet. We're long overdue a big war or pandemic.

Not to mention that the earth is naturally getting warmer. Its only 10,000 years since Scotland was covered by an ice sheet a mile thick.

I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now anyway,something to do with holes in the ozone layer?or was it drowned by the melting icecap?

And cows. Cow farts add huge amounts to CO2 emissions. However I wholeheartedly agree, there's way too many humans on the planet. We're long overdue a big war or pandemic.
Has brexit been blamed yet?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Difficult one to address in many countries. The Orange One in the White House refuses to acknowledge the issue. Meanwhile, religious fundamentalists are still trying to outbreed each other, safe in the knowledge that their gods will provide.

Find me the politicians in all those cases with the sphericals to tell it like it is.

NSP

LE
We're long overdue a big war or pandemic.
Mother Nature seems to be having a go by making the ground shake in various places at the moment. A bit harder for us to interfere with after our scuppering her attempts to thin out the numbers with an Ebola outbreak a few years ago.

Difficult one to address in many countries. The Orange One in the White House refuses to acknowledge the issue. Meanwhile, religious fundamentalists are still trying to outbreed each other, safe in the knowledge that their gods will provide.

Find me the politicians in all those cases with the sphericals to tell it like it is.
You forget that things like this are happening as well.

Angela Merkel 'blocks' EU plan on limiting emissions from new cars

I’m not wanting to get into a debate about climate change. Some think it’s hapoeninh, some think it’s not, most people fall in between the two camps.

You need cheap power to drive the global economy. The only effective way of that is an energy mix combining fossil fuels to meet peak demand, renewables and nuclear.

The renewables lobby have hijacked the debate claiming nuclear is bad to promote there concerns.

Renewables won’t meet power generation levels to the lack of reliability.

Fossil fuels are the only effective means of meeting peak demand.

I’m not wanting to get into a debate about climate change. Some think it’s hapoeninh, some think it’s not, most people fall in between the two camps.
I disagree. I think most people are very aware that there is global warming and most can see the pollution being caused by humans, most would agree that we have to cut back on sh1tting on our own front doorstep (indians excepted). The 'debate' is around how much human pollution is increasing the rate of warming. Some scientific essays give the impression that its all mans fault and if only we stopped polluting we could arrest the warming. That's total nonsense as the earth is warming anyway (see my earlier comment about Scotland).
Some scientists are over egging the pudding, much like the previously mentioned hole in the ozone layer where we were all going to get fried.

NSP

LE
Some professor on the radio just now claiming that increased CO2 drives temperature because Venus has a 100% CO2 atmosphere and a temperature of 200°C.

Erm, isn't Venus substantially closer to the Sun than Earth, and with a much thicker, denser atmosphere...?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The government just needs to stop wasting millions on shit. If they really wanted to achieve those kind of goals they'd heavily subsidise and regulate renewables such as solar thermal, ground air heat pumps, etc.

Do they? Naw..the cnuts.

Hence why In paying £3500 pa for my leccy bill in Aviemore.

ugly

LE
Its all an excuse to tax us more!

As much as I loathe his politics and his brother, Piers Corbyn does seem to have nailed this man-made climate change rubbish. And his twitter feed is always entertaining.
img_20150902_2051391.jpg

I disagree. I think most people are very aware that there is global warming and most can see the pollution being caused by humans, most would agree that we have to cut back on sh1tting on our own front doorstep (indians excepted). The 'debate' is around how much human pollution is increasing the rate of warming. Some scientific essays give the impression that its all mans fault and if only we stopped polluting we could arrest the warming. That's total nonsense as the earth is warming anyway (see my earlier comment about Scotland).
Some scientists are over egging the pudding, much like the previously mentioned hole in the ozone layer where we were all going to get fried.
Correct.

The government just needs to stop wasting millions on shit. If they really wanted to achieve those kind of goals they'd heavily subsidise and regulate renewables such as solar thermal, ground air heat pumps, etc.

Do they? Naw..the cnuts.

Hence why In paying £3500 pa for my leccy bill in Aviemore.
FKinHell @MrBane, You need to swap those NiteSun lamps over to LED bulbs.

I know there are some who wholly dispute human involvement in climate change - whilst I, and the weight of scientific opinion disagree with them, if there are any on here I can’t see why they wouldn’t want to reduce pollution (of all sorts) to make the place a bit nicer to live.

Except for @Bushmills there can’t be many who enjoy going into a city and breathing the minging air in the centre.
You’ve nailed that.

Environmental issues are good good for the environment and in many cases can be good for the economy.

Sadly, I’m not seeing evidence of coherent discussion.

You’re average die hard environmentalist seem to be afflicted with the same amount of wibble as a die hard remainer.

I was explaining to one SJW once about the advantages and disadvantages of various energy sources. Words such as peak power and baseline power went over their head and they were almost crying when I explained that as of now and for the foreseeable future that renewables can’t do what they need to do.

There seems to be some misguided belief that throwing money at technology that does not exist will overcome issues that scientists realised two centuries ago weren’t viable.

Latest Threads