Climate change may spark conflict between Russia and EU

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Mar 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/10/eu.climatechange

So be ready to visit Nothern Siberia soon.

2. I know that Mr Bliar went to George's aid over some flimsy int on Iraq, but I'd like to think that it'd take more than seven pages to pick a scrap with the Ruskies. Besides, our next 10 years worth of defence budget has been blown on dessert kit, don't think there's much arctic warfare stuff left in stock. So, that means that we'd have to spend several long months in the arctic ciircle doing star jumps in dezzy combats just to keep warm.. :D

3. Looks like you're on your own mate.

4. Morning Sergey
    To be honest I don't think Russia is in a fit state for a war.
    I know that The UK and any proposed Euro Army definitely is not.
    Lets all just stick to protecting our own boarders and let these silly politicians get on with their Political Clap trap.
    john

5. Sergey, China's claims on Russia East of the Urals are as justifiable (in Chinese eyes) as their claim to Tibet. If it paid tribute in the Ming Dynasty, which thanks to the legacy of Genghis and his sons, a lot of areas did, then its part of 'Greater China'.

I've been right up to the Siberian border on the Chinese side and noticed the odd six lane highway the Chinese have built and fully maintain, all pointing North and all stopping three miles from the border.

mmmmm I thought, ominous they have hardly built those for millions of Siberian tourists.....

6. While I agree with the general premise re the potential for there being resource wars at some point, I suspect Russia is one of the lower threats. Those with the resources are unlikely to be the agressor, and russia has plenty and will continue to do so. They are likey to run out of most key resources long after many other countries.

If wars are ignited for the reason of resources then history suggests they are more likely to be those who don't have access or small countries with long running disputes with neighbours that will kick them off.

7. Anyone read Red Storm Rising

8. play the game now. http://www.frontlines.com/

9. Given the parsimony of the MoD/government then I expect it would be like the '50's in Norway when on exercise when we went ashore in BD's, gaiters and studded Ammo Boots!

10. As mentioned seems unlikely that Russia will spark stuff off as they have lots of oil and gas. More likely to be wars in the third world imo. Over-population sparking lots of ethnic/religious trouble and outside countries joining in to secure the resources they need while pretending to be about "bringing stability".

If it was me, defence planning would be based on that.

11. Any clues where we should look on Google Earth? Don't doubt you, and I'd love to see it.

12. Both China and Russia were captured by the Mongolians. So strictly speaking namely Mongolia has historical rights to rule Russia and China as well.

And of course Alaska is a natural part of Greater Mongolia. Mongolia could claim that Alaska was unlawfully sold by Mongolian colony Russia to the USA.

13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Is there much sand there?

14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Trifling sums? Only works on Sundaes? I'm dis-custard!

15. Many times I visited NW Siberia. In the city of Nizhnevartovsk (a centre of huge oil and gas fields) I learned what temperature -55C means. As a rule summer here is short and rainy. Snow in June is not something special and some years heaps of snow survive until new snowfalll.

But once, there was +35C in the same city. Walking along sandy field I had a feeling that I'm in the desert.