Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clever planning

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Work anywhere though couldn't he, I was trained as a VM in REME, have worked as a mechanic, pump fitter, welder,inspector, and driver. all over the world....better value than paying 9k a year for a useless degree.....or what?
he joined the REME in 1958
like you say never been out of work, and said he learnt a lot of useful things in his 2 years National Service
His old Sergeant, an ex WW2 chap taught him a few useful skills that he passed on to me
Dad said he was the sort of bloke you wanted with you when things got sticky
that quite air of confidence, cheeky personality, and a hard edge when threatened
he nearly signed on as a regular but mum was preggers with me !!
90 odd years old still going strong

Commiserations, I managed 20 years in REME without going anywhere near an Armd Wksp, always glad to see an FRG though...******* good lads and what REME is all about.
Ahhh, you did well - I'd been Infantry TA before the Regs and after trade, same as you VM, asked for a Teeth Regiment posting, so they sent me to a ******* Armd Wksp - so I made sure I got myself on every course going and spent the next three years teaching people how to Ski (and stuff) in Bavaria and Norway.

Wasn't there very much.

Ahhh, you did well - I'd been Infantry TA before the Regs and after trade, same as you VM, asked for a Teeth Regiment posting, so they sent me to a ******* Armd Wksp - so I made sure I got myself on every course going and spent the next three years teaching people how to Ski (and stuff) in Bavaria and Norway.

Wasn't there very much.
You missed out, fitter sections with teeth arms is the best REME gets. ( Apart from FRG's which you would be glad of anywhere). The best job I ever had was Sqn Tiffy with Cavalry....the next step up from SSgt was a desk.

Last edited:
The thought did cross my mind for several years, then a few years I was talking to some operators at an Association píss up. One of them said it was the impossible job and couldn’t be replicated under training conditions. That helped me a lot.
Is there a thread or post where you have explained / described your ordeal?

Haven't been lurking long enough to remember owt....I'm pretty sure Id've noticed, your pics have quite a way of attracting ones attention!

Sorry if I'm being macabre, I'm not meaning to be.

Is there a thread or post where you have explained / described your ordeal?

Haven't been lurking long enough to remember owt....I'm pretty sure Id've noticed, your pics have quite a way of attracting ones attention!

Sorry if I'm being macabre, I'm not meaning to be.

But if a picture paints a thousand words.

1600467068455.png

That’s the second time I’ve bared my arse on ARRSE in the last couple of days and not a flicker from the moderators.

At least there are no cock shots.

You missed out, fitter sections with teeth arms is the best REME gets. ( Apart from FRG's which you would be glad of anywhere). The best job I ever had was Sqn Tiffy with Cavalry....the next step up from SSgt was a desk.

Guys, what was the REME 432 with the winch/crane on the back? I've seen them used to swap out the power pack on a Chieftain.

Doing a Bn tracked vehicle course and never ever using it.

It was a good swan for a few days.

That's the one, cheers dingerr. A good pal I grew up with was an A mech I think it was but anyhow he was the full screw commander of one those. He'd come and pick me up every now and then to go out for a cabbie.

I was a Radio Tech in R SIGNALS. Not once as such did I actually fix a radio that I’d been trained on.

Between my T3 and T1 courses, I spent probably a year learning the specifics of the Radio equipments, the other aggregate year being theory. At that time, the main sets were the 353 and the 321. You also studied Clansman Radio Control Harness, Clansman Secure Speech Harness, Antenna systems, Commercial Radio (MOULD, Cougar), ATR (basically a modem), BIDs and teleprinters. I came top of both courses.

Despite that, in my 10 years in the Regular Army, the only time I ever took a radio apart and fixed it was before I was even a Tech. My squadron was closing down (Options for Change), I was posted in 6 weeks to re-trade to tech, and so they employed me in TM Tp. I fixed a couple simple faults in that time (With some help). Since then, not once have I taken a radio apart on a bench in a field workshop.

For whatever reason, my postings between T3 and T1 were always to field squadrons doing first line work. I’ve fixed God knows how many faults on installations, special projects to make X work with Y, got stuff working that wasn’t even my trade, but never once had a radio apart.

On completion of my T1, the School claimed me straight back as an instructor. 3 years teaching the same shit to T3 and T1 trainees. My job was basically to introduce faults!

Oh well. I did alright out of it, and didn’t have to put up with the bullshit in TM Tps in those days.

For those who served in Gib in the 70s and 80s you may know that the RA had a Decca Maritime surveillance radar system to watch the border with Spain. I got sent on a course for a few days to learn how to operate it along with a bunch of other lads from my bn. I think the idea was that we could support the surveiilance blokes and spread the workload. I did one or two overnight stags on the radar equipped OP and that was it as it all sort of fizzled out after a couple of weeks. Never found out why...

As a uncivil serpant at DMSTC, Keogh there was a push to network all the individual PC's across the establishment onto one unified network. In reprographics if 1 of the 4 PC's went down there no real problem, the graphics guys could crack on, and photocopying autorisation logs go old school with paper and pen until PC fixed.

We would have been happy to have an extra terminal for work to be forwards, as at the time networking was not particularly reliable. Trying to explain that 'no PC's no worky done' to the IT spod was interesting, despite this he was adament that all pc MUST BE on the network. The IT spod being of the promoted to be posted out type, nice enough guy but a dullard of the first order.

I had resigned by the time they probably got round to it, so I never found out how many days of feet up the graphics guys had once they had a 'computer says no' occurance.

Reprographics did some work?

That could be a lie worthy of "spork" flammenkeks himself

That could be a lie worthy of "spork" flammenkeks himself

Worked my little ass off I did, the same could not be said for some in HQ, the Chief Instructor being top of the list or my immediate Boss who was well I will just say a person who, every instructor across all three services dreaded having to deal with.

Oi, I resemble that remark.

At JHQ my small team printed, photocopied and "diverted" 16 to 18 tonnes of A4 sized xerox paper every month. "Reports R Us". You would not believe some of the shite departments/branches used to bring down for us to repro for them.

Latest Threads