Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clever planning

Back in the day 1985-ish, I was sent from 17 sport and pastime wksp REME, on a course to HMS Sultan to turn me into a marine engineer on the grounds that as a VM it shouldn't be too much of an effort. Top marks really...but after passing the course I went to 4RTR and never saw an Army boat again.

Back in the day 1985-ish, I was sent from 17 sport and pastime wksp REME, on a course to HMS Sultan to turn me into a marine engineer on the grounds that as a VM it shouldn't be too much of an effort. Top marks really...but after passing the course I went to 4RTR and never saw an Army boat again.

Is that not REME SOP's :razz:

I was doing a project to select and buy photo-typsetting and graphics computers for JHQ. It was all running along at the usual slugs pace speed of a civil service financed procurement project. The kit was finally due to arrive about 4 months before I started my terminal leave. What I had kept mentioning and no one paid any attention to was that it takes some skill and knowledge to type set - FFS people do whole apprenticeships for it.

I had some experience of type-setting, and some with photo-typesetting, but I could bluff my way nicely. So that along with the fact I spoke German resulted in me being sent to Frankfurt for 2 weeks training. When I got back I was presented with an individual (civilian) who ordinarily viewed the world through the bottom of a beer glass and could best be loosely described as general admin. First I had to teach them to type, then to try some fundamentals of typesetting - along with getting in my resettlement courses.

I used to wonder how much use that DM300,000 piece of kit was once I left.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My pre joining training for the RFAs included a 30mm guns course, even though the RFAs had their 30mms replaced with 20mms over a decade before.

Rocked up on day 1 of the course and explained that it was a complete waste of time and effort because I wasn’t joining a ship with 30mms and probably never would.

“Ah well you’re here now. Might as well crack on shipmate.”

Came top of the class. Still never been on a ship with that weapons system.

My pre joining training for the RFAs included a 30mm guns course, even though the RFAs had their 30mms replaced with 20mms over a decade before.

Rocked up on day 1 of the course and explained that it was a complete waste of time and effort because I wasn’t joining a ship with 30mms and probably never would.

“Ah well you’re here now. Might as well crack on shipmate.”

Came top of the class. Still never been on a ship with that weapons system.
Top of the Class?

I passed the High Threat IEDD course.

Not the best plan I’ve ever had.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
my old Man joined the REME as a fully qualified toolmaker
they trained him as an electrician for 6 months, before making him an armourer ???
but he can peel spuds like a god

Did you go to Imphal Barracks in Traz with 4RTR?

I was doing a project to select and buy photo-typsetting and graphics computers for JHQ. It was all running along at the usual slugs pace speed of a civil service financed procurement project. The kit was finally due to arrive about 4 months before I started my terminal leave. What I had kept mentioning and no one paid any attention to was that it takes some skill and knowledge to type set - FFS people do whole apprenticeships for it.

I had some experience of type-setting, and some with photo-typesetting, but I could bluff my way nicely. So that along with the fact I spoke German resulted in me being sent to Frankfurt for 2 weeks training. When I got back I was presented with an individual (civilian) who ordinarily viewed the world through the bottom of a beer glass and could best be loosely described as general admin. First I had to teach them to type, then to try some fundamentals of typesetting - along with getting in my resettlement courses.

I used to wonder how much use that DM300,000 piece of kit was once I left.

As a uncivil serpant at DMSTC, Keogh there was a push to network all the individual PC's across the establishment onto one unified network. In reprographics if 1 of the 4 PC's went down there no real problem, the graphics guys could crack on, and photocopying autorisation logs go old school with paper and pen until PC fixed.

We would have been happy to have an extra terminal for work to be forwards, as at the time networking was not particularly reliable. Trying to explain that 'no PC's no worky done' to the IT spod was interesting, despite this he was adament that all pc MUST BE on the network. The IT spod being of the promoted to be posted out type, nice enough guy but a dullard of the first order.

I had resigned by the time they probably got round to it, so I never found out how many days of feet up the graphics guys had once they had a 'computer says no' occurance.

Do you think you paid enough attention?

The thought did cross my mind for several years, then a few years I was talking to some operators at an Association píss up. One of them said it was the impossible job and couldn’t be replicated under training conditions. That helped me a lot.

Did you go to Imphal Barracks in Traz with 4RTR?
yes I did my tiffy course in between but was still there when they disbanded. C Sqn 4RTR's last Tiffy and C Sqn QRL's first.

The thought did cross my mind for several years, then a few years I was talking to some operators at an Association píss up. One of them said it was the impossible job and couldn’t be replicated under training conditions. That helped me a lot.

Being serious for a minute, even if it was not impossible job, I have little doubt that you or any operator would be at fault, when things go pear shaped... For every job that is skills based and regardless of how well skilled and practised we might be, we all need a little luck as well sitting on our shoulder now and again.

For most of us, a bit of a screw up or misjudgement or even just a bit of bad luck have consequences far less dramatic, much easier for me to say, but sometimes shit just happens

my old Man joined the REME as a fully qualified toolmaker
they trained him as an electrician for 6 months, before making him an armourer ???
but he can peel spuds like a god
Work anywhere though couldn't he, I was trained as a VM in REME, have worked as a mechanic, pump fitter, welder,inspector, and driver. all over the world....better value than paying 9k a year for a useless degree.....or what?

Cool - I was upstairs at 12 Armd/1Bn same time.
Commiserations, I managed 20 years in REME without going anywhere near an Armd Wksp, always glad to see an FRG though...******* good lads and what REME is all about.

I passed the High Threat IEDD course.

Not the best plan I’ve ever had.
[/QOTE]
Only ever come across you guys once, as a spanner at 12 Det, busy times.

Latest Threads