Clement Freud dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad to see him go. A great character. Just a minute will be so much poorer for his passing.

Interesting and pretty full life too . Born in Germany , family fled to Britain , he served in the Royal Ulsters and commissioned in 1947, served as an MP and of course, the highlight for me, a regular contributor to JaM.

RIP Clement, the world is poorer for the loss of another old-school character.

2. A great character. Who is there in Parliament today of his calibre?

RIP

3. Agreed - I didn't always agree with what he said, but as with many of the old-school politicians and vintage characters, I enjoyed hearing his point of view.

4. Yes time is proving to be harsh to the good radio comedy series, Clement was a character on Just a Minute, and as a kid I enjoyed his dog food adverts with his bloodhound. They say that owners look like their dogs!

He will be very difficult to replace, and another classic voice gone from the Just a Minute team, it will be a different programme now. Gone to that great programme in the sky, with no deviation, hesitation or repetition.

5. Sadly, this is just reminding me yet again of what a poor bunch our current politicians are. Most of the ones I grew up with could at least gain respect even if their views weren't always to my taste.

On the plus side, does this mean we'll get to see Emma in black?

6. For a second there I thought Rupert Murdoch was now controlling any afterlife. Can we assume that the Minute Waltz will play at the funeral and that when everyone's time is up a single whistle blows? Don't think I've repeated anything. Fail on deviation everytime.

RIP Clement Freud

7. Henry had more backbone and character than any of that grubby lot in the present Parliament, goodbye Sir, you will be much missed

8. All black, including full webbing :p

9. Sad news, I was sent a sound clip of a joke he told when being interviewed and still remains one of the funniest jokes I've heard

10. Is that the one about the drunk being sick down the front of jacket? If so it is absolutely hilarious.

He was quite a character - and a bit of a polymath. I understand that he was on Monty's Staff at one point in his Army career.

11. gone to join Henry................

RIP

12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sad to hear of the old boy passing. I'll miss him on Just a Minute. I didn't agree with everything he said but I never doubted his integrity.

13. Sad news.

There were certainly some interesting characters who used to visit the so called "Freud set" at Walberswick in the early 70s.

14. The obits will make interesting reading on a man who squeezed a lot in over his lifetime. On the radio today they said he worked for Monty at the end of WW2 and had some small role in the Nuremberg trials.

Being born in Germany, when he was called up his CO asked him if he was sure he was joining the on the right side? :wink:

I loved the way he would refer to his wife of nearly 60 years as 'my first wife' - just to keep her on her toes ............... :D

15. To be fair, Brown has paid tribute -

"Sir Clement Freud made a huge contribution to public life in many different ways and I was saddened to hear of his death.

“I first met Sir Clement more than 30 years ago when he was rector of Dundee University and I was rector of University of Edinburgh. I was proud to have known him and the whole country should recognise the achievements in his life."

Times Link