Clearing Snow the rules - spot the mistakes in this article.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Isn't it the rule here that if you clear the snow you become responsible if somebody slips and injures themself?

2. So the journos would have us believe, but if you clear the snow with good intent, no, you can't be sued., and a quick but cursory Google reveals no examples of a successful case here in the UK against a homeowner.

Even in America, the Land of the Lawyer, it's almost impossible to sue someone if you slip on snow as it's an "open and obvious" hazard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. This is from a barrister I asked about it - the story was based on the idea that you become liable for the consequences of your actions but not for your omissions. However, unless you cleared the snow in so stupid and reckless a manner that your action in clearing it created a hazard in itself (I have actually seen one mong in our road clearing his path with kettles of boiling water which then froze into black ice, he later slipped on it and cut his head open), you would not be liable.

4. "I live in Germany And A friend of mine lives in a Third floor flat and is a wheelchair case. He has recently been prosecuted for not clearing the snow from the road. and is being fined about 1000 Euros for this. Only problem is he is currently in hospital (He is a paralysed from the 6 vert down) undergoing treatment. And he will have to pay or go to prison. He has elected the latter..."

Read more: Should you be fined if you don't clear the snow off the path outside your house? | Mail Online

From the comments comes a strong smell of bullshit.

5. From page 9 of today's Torygraph...."Railway station staff have been told by their union, (RMT), not to clear snow from platforms because they have not been trained in "Handling Hazardous Materials".

6. Clear half the road as well???? What a load of bollocks! We are required to clear and grit the path and access to the property, to a width of 1 mtr only! The Stadt does the rest!

7. Well snow does contain Dihydrogen monoxide

Nasty stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  8. In Croatia, we are expected to clear the path directly in front of the property. People in buildings arrange a roster for clearing snow. The idea that people are running to clear snow the instant it begins to fall is ridiculous. No point clearing it in a heavy fall. This is same as in Germany I believe.

The local authority supply 25 kilo bags of salt on the corner of the each street as well each building. Their is a community inspector who is actually a decent bloke keeps an eye on the elderly residents along with his other duties, he has the power to administer penalty notices if the snow is not removed says he has not done so in years as it's considered rude not to do your section.

Myself and some of the neighbours cleared the path for some of the elderly residents and a neighbour who is currently out of town.

So people should be fined for not clearing their path. Its a pity that people dont see that they have some responsibility past their own door step. As for legal action for slips and trips, well thats just typical excuse making for not wanting to break a bloody sweat.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Considering most train platforms stink of tramp piss and vomit, I'd say that was a fair one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NO. That is a total myth.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

The difference is of course, that countries that are prone to heavy snowfall deal with the problem on a much larger scale, on a much regular basis - and in terms of competency, they deal with it as part of their routine in a way.

Whereas we in this country on the other hand, see a snowflake, break into a mild panic, then after more than 1cm has fallen, break into complete hysteria, saturate the news and media with reports of old people unable to afford their heating, chaos for commuters travelling to work, closure of schools, airports, public transport networks, councils running out of grit, and people being advised not to make journeys unless "absolutely essential" (yes, I often take my car out at £1.39/litre for a laugh).

So should we be fined for not clearing our paths? Absolutely not.

Because after all - who would enforce such a thing? Certainly nobody in authority - as they'll all be at home, convinced after 2cm of snow that their world has just fallen apart.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You will however be fined by the municipality. NYC for example gives you about 4 hours after the snow stops falling to clear your sidewalk or its a $125 fine (and I have seen it given out numerous times while living there over 30 years).

from nyc.gov
    Property owners must create a 4 to 5-foot wide path clear of snow and ice on the sidewalk next to their property and clear snow from any bus stops or fire hydrants on those sidewalks. You cannot shovel snow into the traffic lanes of a street.

Property owners must clear snow according to the following rules:

If snowfall ends between 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM, you must clear sidewalks within four hours.
    If snowfall ends between 5:00 PM and 7:00 AM, you must clear sidewalks before 11:00 AM.
    The City may issue you a summons for failure to clear the sidewalks within these timeframes.

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There's a number of Polish and other eastern European shops round my way. All of them have pristine cleared pavements outside the width of the shop, all properly salted. The rest of the pavement is a massive ice hazard. It's a shame other shopkeepres don't take the hint.

• Like Like x 1
  14. They can **** off!!!! I live next to the M1.

• Like Like x 3