Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearing Drains

Hi All,

I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance, as it's less hassle and costs less in the long-run (I'm part northern). Having just moved into a new house, I've been cleaning all the traps out from under the sinks, and the other internal pipework where I can. There was a significant amount of sludge in there (now gone), but it led me to thinking if there was a way in which I could clean out the drain that runs under the back garden, without resorting to rodding it out.

Is there any chemical / solution that you'd recommend throwing down there to break things up / leave the underground pipe sparkling clean?

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hi All,

I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance, as it's less hassle and costs less in the long-run (I'm part northern). Having just moved into a new house, I've been cleaning all the traps out from under the sinks, and the other internal pipework where I can. There was a significant amount of sludge in there (now gone), but it led me to thinking if there was a way in which I could clean out the drain that runs under the back garden, without resorting to rodding it out.

Is there any chemical / solution that you'd

ommend throwing down there to break things up / leave the underground pipe sparkling clean?

PE4?

Dwarf

LE
Trained Hamsters.

If not enough Senyora swears by caustic soda, - just remember to get the hamsters out first.

Slime

LE
Hi All,

Is there any chemical / solution that you'd recommend throwing down there to break things up / leave the underground pipe sparkling clean?

If you only had sludge in the internal pipes that’s not bad. The worst thing to find is a solid sugar like coating, this is often found in houses where an old person lived.

I know you asked about cleaning external runs without rodding, but rods are pretty cheap and fairly easy to use..........

You could always drop a garden hose into the runs and leave it for a while.

Just take up the manholes, flush or use hose pipe, check flow is strong........ drains are designed to be self cleaning, as long as they aren't abused with J- cloths etc.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Trained Hamsters.

I- just remember to get the hamsters out first.

Richard Gere walt (only it was gerbils allegedly but accuracy and/or the truth would ruin this joke)

Dwarf

LE
Richard Gere walt (only it was gerbils allegedly but accuracy and/or the truth would ruin this joke)
I honestly didn't know that, he's in good company then. - Which film?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I honestly didn't know that, he's in good company then. - Which film?

don't google 'gerbil stuffing'

Get the professionals in.

DRAINS_IBG SERVICES_Langford_Grogan_640x427_0_0.jpg

Dwarf

LE

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've just used (catering) citric acid to clean the dishwasher and washing machine, it would appear that our drains are also fairly clean from this (just had a look as the drain cover is just outside my 'sheffice')

Trained Hamsters.

If not enough Senyora swears by caustic soda, - just remember to get the hamsters out first.
I have a very fluffy dog....

Bit of rope round the hind legs, chuck some cooked chicken down there and I'm sorted.

Latest Threads