Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Clearing Cyprus Customs

So, Currently serving and living in Cyprus due to leave in the next 6 months and I have a conundrum. I bought a duty free car on arrival as a run around and unfortunately the engine blew up so went into a garage for repair. The car took so long for a new engine to become available I decided to scrap it instead. Imagine my surprise when I found out the garage no longer had the car (scrapped apparently) with no paperwork to show what had happened to it. On speaking to customs they have said before I can clear and leave the island I am required to pay the duty on the vehicle which seems absurd to me.

So question, what would happen if I didn't pay the duty on the vehicle and just left Cyprus to return to the UK? Would there be any Civil or Military repercussions?

Many thanks

Duty Free Cars Cyprus

When selling a Duty Free Car, the customer will have to present both the Logbook and the C104 papers to Customs. Duty Free Cars are usually sold to Duty Free entitled people (i.e. British Forces), however should the Duty Free Car be sold to a non-entitled person, then both seller and buyer must head down to Customs Office (Limassol or Larnaka) to settle the payment on the duty.

Scrapping a duty free car - Cyprus Forum

Purchasing a duty-free vehicle in Cyprus - Pafilia Cyprus Property Developers | Pafilia Property Developers | Cyprus Property For Sale in Paphos and Limassol

The duty free replacement of the vehicle is permitted on condition that the alien national continues to reside in Cyprus and has disposed of the duty free vehicle previously cleared by him or her. In case of disposal of the vehicle in question, duties are charged on the value of the vehicle at the time of disposal. Any infringement of the aforesaid conditions constitutes an unlawful act and carries severe penalties.

Many thanks for the above.

Playing devils advocate, how or would they be able to prosecute once you left the island? Plus how can it be justifiable having to pay the Duty on a car that has in essence been stolen!

Playing devils advocate, how or would they be able to prosecute once you left the island? Plus how can it be justifiable having to pay the Duty on a car that has in essence been stolen!
European arrest warrant . Catch you next time you go to Cyprus. Getting MOD plod involved etc etc etc.

If the car has been stolen then you need to report it as stolen, otherwise it’s not stolen.

No matter where you are in the world, the tax man has an inordinate amount of power to get what is owed to them.

Surely as an entitled person that still in essence owns the car I would be doing nothing wrong by just leaving the country and not paying the duty?

Like all of life’s problems, I had a similar issue when I was posted out of Cyprus.

I found that turning up to SBA Customs and explaining the problem to them face to face rather than seeking the advice of anonymous Internet strangers much more productive.

Like all of life’s problems, I had a similar issue when I was posted out of Cyprus.

I found that turning up to SBA Customs and explaining the problem to them face to face rather than seeking the advice of anonymous Internet strangers much more productive.

I have done that but to no avail, no sympathy just the stoic line that it's tough luck and I have to pay the Duty or pay the Duty and a fine!

Wot he said.

OK, your first enquiry to SBA Customs was less than helpful: however, ping them again and go and chat to SBA Police-at the very least, both organisations have close liaison with Cyp Police and customs and questions and advice can be asked and given.

Having been in a slightly similar position when one of mine had got himself into a like situation, it quickly escalated into a CypPol formal investigation as to the activities of a local garage/dealer (this was over a motorbike).

End result was that Andreas and his cronies were busted by both CypPol and Customs.

Happy to chat with SBA Police however I have been told that as soon as it launces into an investigation Both me and the garage will get a fine as well as me having to still pay the duty on the car! sounds like a lose lose situation to me either way!

is the fine bigger than the customs duty - weigh it up

I would have to pay the duty either way, the duty is €600 and the fine around €200. If I don't report for investigation I am the only one getting bummed to the tune of €600. If I do report it I still get bummed but to the tune of €800 and the Garage only €200.

I would have to pay the duty either way, the duty is €600 and the fine around €200. If I don't report for investigation I am the only one getting bummed to the tune of €600. If I do report it I still get bummed but to the tune of €800 and the Garage only €200.
Then report it stolen and claim on your insurance