Cleaning body fluids off the floor.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by maninblack, Jun 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Here is a problem that the forum can perhaps help with.

I have an issue with a polyurethane floor in an casevac helicopter suffering staining from exposure to blood and other fluids after casualty evacuation.

Are there any clever tricks or clever products that people know of that can help avoid this.

cheers

MiB

2. You could try sling the cas under the helicoptor in a stretcher/gurney so that any fluids drip away from the floor.

Sawdust on the floor?

Or lay some sort of covering on top of the floor (or does the existing floor comeout) and just swap it every so often when it can't be cleaned anymore.

The wife suggests wetting the floor with cold water, and placing a fair amount of salt down for a while. Apparently the salt will draw the stain out. Clean the salt out and then hit it with vanish (providing it wont rot the heli) to complete.

3. Have you tried curtains from the QA accomodation block? ideal for absorbing body fluids I've always found...

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Surely Filbert Fox must have a plethra of ways of cleaning blood, poo and bits from a theatre floor. Just use a big sponge.

5. A mixture of Ammonia and cold water does the trick. (NOT HOT WATER - this enables the polyurethane to absorb the blood more)

Wear goggles and hand protection. It fecking stinks and your eyes will smart if you don't take precautions.

Doesn't rot the chopper.

6. my favourite way is to use a scrub nurse or if not available a JNCO, preferably a CMT each with a mop and a bucket filled with whatever solution the local policy allows (ie the cheapest locally available detergent). Blood and poo is easy, semen is a mare!

7. If you want to get rid of those left overs on your nice floor then I suggest using Hydrogen Peroxide, you can get it through the Q chain if your med or buy it off the shelf, it is probably the best for those nasty clots on the floor of your wocka wocka.

8. trouble is that the flyboys may steal the hydrogen peroxide for their hair!! (ive already been pm'd by 3 of them interested in my comment about semen!)

9. Except it eats heli's.

10. What about getting some stretchers on the side ala the Sioux helis from the 4077th MASH? You get more room on the inside, and they get to bleed all over the place on the outside, you can reach out to tend to them from the inside.

11. good idea unless they arrest, need monitoring etc.....

12. Petrol and a lit match removes most stains, works on my pants.

13. Filbert Fox wrote
    Bloodyhell, at least let them get better before they arrest!!!!

Oh, arrest.

14. Smart Price bleach works for me!

15. Call me old fashioned but why not demand a new floor?
    The lazy option works for me!