Clay shooting in Wiltshire?

tHERE IS A MASSIVE CLAY GROUND BETWEEN tIDWORTH AND aNDOVER, CAN NOT REMEMBER THE NAME FOR THE LIFE OF ME , ON THE RIGHT AS YOU HEAD TO aNDOVER.

P

PrinceAlbert

TRAZTAZ said:
tHERE IS A MASSIVE CLAY GROUND BETWEEN tIDWORTH AND aNDOVER, CAN NOT REMEMBER THE NAME FOR THE LIFE OF ME , ON THE RIGHT AS YOU HEAD TO aNDOVER.
I'd recommend pressing the Caps Lock button :D

PrinceAlbert said:
The Royal School of Artillery, at Larkhill.
Ain't that cloud punching as opposed to clay pigeon shooting ?? :wink:

Not a military friend and doesn't fancy mixing with the green...

So, thanks for both the Larkhill and Tidders suggestions.

Any civvie outfits out there?

Litotes

P

PrinceAlbert

Litotes said:
PrinceAlbert said:
saintstone said:
PrinceAlbert said:
They can't hit a gridref let alone a clay :D
I thought the idea behind the Gunners was that they removed the grid reference? Always was in my day, anyway...

Litotes
Granted, but that depends on wether they hit the right grid reference :D

PrinceAlbert said:
Litotes said:
PrinceAlbert said:
saintstone said:
PrinceAlbert said:
They can't hit a gridref let alone a clay :D
I thought the idea behind the Gunners was that they removed the grid reference? Always was in my day, anyway...

Litotes
Granted, but that depends on wether they hit the right grid reference :D
You have a point, dear boy, you have a point!

Litotes

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Where in Wilts? There used to be one at Yatesbury just off the A4 between Calne & Marlborough (old airfield site).

napier said:
Where in Wilts? There used to be one at Yatesbury just off the A4 between Calne & Marlborough (old airfield site).
Savernake forest between Burbage and Malbrough, always clay pidgeon shooting advertised off on the left hand side. Never tried it myself though......... Just drive through the forest, can't miss it.

Litotes said:
Not a military friend and doesn't fancy mixing with the green...

So, thanks for both the Larkhill and Tidders suggestions.

Any civvie outfits out there?

Litotes
There's no need to worry about mixing with Green-jobs as Larkhill Clay Target Shooting Club is run as a civvy club, but is located on the RSA at Larkhill. It's open 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month. E-mail Keith Howe at kmhowe@ntlworld.com or 07751 167883 for details. It's a good ground with decent targets, but very flat and open. There's a scoff hut on site, no restriction on plastic wads and is generally quite cheap: £20 for 100 birds sporting, IIRC.

A bit further north, on the A345 is The Shooting Club at Upavon. Another nice ground with a decent club house, good targets and use of topography - open 6 days a week (closed on Tuesday). £25/100 sporting and (I believe) no restriction on plastic wads.

Alternatively, Laines Shooting School just off the A303 near Andover is open weekly Mon - Sat (although it's closed on Sat 21st Feb for a charity event). Nice ground, good facilities but costs more per round and you have to use their (low noise) ammo due to locally enforced noise restrictions. Last time I shot there was 2007 and I believe the cost of 100 birds plus their ammo was around £45.