Clay Shooting at Sandhurst

Hello
I am looking to join as an officer and am just wondering if anyone knows if Sandhurst offers clay and/or game shooting as part of its sports as it is something I'm quite passionate about.
Thanks

Hello
I am looking to join as an officer and am just wondering if anyone knows if Sandhurst offers clay and/or game shooting as part of its sports as it is something I'm quite passionate about.
Thanks
As long as you own a brace of antique purdys and a well worn Barbour then you'll fit in nicely.

As long as you own a brace of antique purdys and a well worn Barbour then you'll fit in nicely.
A brace refers to game , ie two dead pheasant , grouse or partridge .
Two matched guns are a pair .
"Antique " guns are most likely out of proof and unable to shoot steel shot and well worn Barbours went out of use in the shooting field over three decades ago with the invention of far better water proofing and warmer materials
Shooting is enjoyed by over 500,000 people in this country , not by a few fictional toffs , and in the Forces these days you'll find more keen shots amongst the ranks and NCO's than the officers .
But do keep the red flag flying high .

mad_collie

War Hero
This thread is not as exciting as I'd hoped......

A brace refers to game , ie two dead pheasant , grouse or partridge .
Two matched guns are a pair .
"Antique " guns are most likely out of proof and unable to shoot steel shot and well worn Barbours went out of use in the shooting field over three decades ago with the invention of far better water proofing and warmer materials
Shooting is enjoyed by over 500,000 people in this country , not by a few fictional toffs , and in the Forces these days you'll find more keen shots amongst the ranks and NCO's than the officers .
But do keep the red flag flying high .

Not at the moment it isn't, my local club and the National Shooting Centre are shut for COVID. The Barbours will have to stay in the wardrobe for some time yet I think.

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
When the Broadmoor siren goes for real there's the possibility of some shooting (one can only hope).

As has been mentioned times have moved on from Barbour and Purdy days. Here was how one chap new to the scene set about things and he stole the show. You could follow his lead and make quite the impression and don't forget arriving in a three wheel van, that does not actually show in this clip but that was how he arrived in an attention grabbing move.

When the Broadmoor siren goes for real there's the possibility of some shooting (one can only hope).

I don't think it will ever go off for real. The people in there are mad, not stupid. If they were going to escape they would do it at 10:00 on a Monday.

Even gets a mention from the local punk band, The Members:

Every lousy Monday morning
Heathrow jets go crashing over our home
Ten o'clock Broadmoor siren
Driving me mad, won't leave me alone

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Poor Cadet Offr Clay! He is going to have a very hard time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is/was that current/historic?

I don't remember it/nothing on the news.
The post I replied to was hoping that "Shooting at Sandhurst" was more exciting than it turned out.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Not at the moment it isn't, my local club and the National Shooting Centre are shut for COVID. The Barbours will have to stay in the wardrobe for some time yet I think.
Thanks to Covid I haven’t been to the barbers for a long time either.

Latest Threads