Clausewitz - On War - Reference needed - Help

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Stonker, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unless I'm going mad (entirley plausible) somewhere in the Howard/Parrett edn of "On War", is a throwaway line by Charlie Von C that goes something like "if the entire population of a country rises against your army you might as well forget it"

I didn't bookmark it when I read the thing cover-to-cover 20 years ago and I have not been able to find it again: much as I enjoyed Charlie 1st time around, my life is too busy lately to do a lap of honour through the whole book.

Can anyone out there point me to the page I need?

2. (edited: nope, that wasn't it)

Chapter XXI Invasion?

Well done, now you have me reading...

3. book six chapter 26? pg 578 in my edition. not sure thats what you want, but it is related.

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

5. "Every war is begun, dominated, and ended by political considerations; without a nation, without a government, without money or credit, without popular enthusiasm which furnishes volunteers, or public support which endures conscription, there could be no army and no war—neither beginning nor end of methodical hostilities".

6. I think your quote from memory might be slightly off (20 years does that, I admit), I suspect you may have had something to do with Carl's "Trinity" - (People, Government and Army) on your mind?. There are many paragraphs throughout several chapters where he discusses this (no, his wife did not edit nearly enough out...).

Maybe this is the one you were trying to recall: "But even if the enemy's subjects have not taken up arms, and even if there is no militia in the country, or other military organisation, indeed if the people are even very unwarlike in spirit, still the mere relation of the people as subjects to a hostile government is a disadvantage for the lines of communication of the other side which is always felt (...)"J.J. Graham's 1873 English translation, Book VI,Ch 24 (sorry, don't have Paret's handy at present location).

Pertinent to several ongoing conflicts...
    And, curious to learn what you relate this quote to?

7. TIP-TOE THROUGH THE TRINITY

If you're also experiencing a slow Sunday Night, the above is a link to what appears to be an academic critique of other people's translations and interpretations of what Claus really meant, one of Bassford's points being that the Trinity most of us discuss is not the original Trinity of Carl's. Oh, well.

Have fun and enjoy the rest of the weekend! :?

8. For offers so far - many tanks. Have not yet had time to follow up on any of 'em.

Future suggestions welcome - there's nobody out there engaged in "On War" for the 1st time right now, I s'pose . . . .

9. Not positive, but try around Book 6, Chapter 26, pp. 479-483. I lost my copy of "On War" but still have Michael Handel's "Masters of War". He doesn't use the line you raised above but that section does cover fighting a successful guerrilla war. Best of luck.