Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Claudia Webbe Watch

I'd bet most local councils in England have a link between dodgy property developments and someone somewhere in the town planning dept who likes brown envelopes.

Slight thread drift, but applicable:-

Grenfell tower fire? ( Sub standard fire cladding installed, superior cladding paid for,.....allegedly.)

pc flaps

Old-Salt
Slight thread drift, but applicable:-

Grenfell tower fire? ( Sub standard fire cladding installed, superior cladding paid for,.....allegedly.)

I was thinking more of the blind eye that seemed for years to be turned to "beds in sheds" at the bottom of the garden. 20+ years ago I lived in a place where the landlord had one of those. It was supposedly a gym. Close inspection revealed no exercise bikes or similar, but several mattresses. Nocturnal comings and going were frequent and it was obviously a place for night shift workers to live on the cheap.

He had no planning permission, and when one of my flatmates complained to the council (shortly before moving out) the complaint was mysteriously lost / buried / put in a filing cabinet in a disused lavatory next to the sign "beware of the leopard".

I was thinking more of the blind eye that seemed for years to be turned to "beds in sheds" at the bottom of the garden. 20+ years ago I lived in a place where the landlord had one of those. It was supposedly a gym. Close inspection revealed no exercise bikes or similar, but several mattresses. Nocturnal comings and going were frequent and it was obviously a place for night shift workers to live on the cheap.

He had no planning permission, and when one of my flatmates complained to the council (shortly before moving out) the complaint was mysteriously lost / buried / put in a filing cabinet in a disused lavatory next to the sign "beware of the leopard".

What council was that ?

pc flaps

Old-Salt
What council was that ?

LB Hounslow. It may just have been incompetence the complaint went nowhere, rather than outright dodginess. I'm pretty sure they aren't alone either, beds in sheds were rife in London back then. In fact I reckon the real population of Greater London is a good couple of mill higher than the "official" 8 million.

Liverpool is one, safe Labour dump and I live there.

Can you imagine the Scouse outrage though if Liverpool ever went Tory, they'd be whinging about long after mankind has vacated this planet as uninhabitable

A signaller - the red boxes in the photo are illegal 'houses'
article-0-1AC6D42D000005DC-429_638x438.jpg

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Why would we be surprised at the professional levels of washing machine commerce in those Cities and Boroughs
that foster such industries?

Whilst the UK managed 12th/188 countries on the perceived corruption index with a score of 77/100 in 2019, It has always struck me that for all we congratulate ourselves, broadly speaking and with some latitude, it means that 23% of the time you are likely to meet with some form of perceived corruption when dealing with officialdom. Perhaps it is fair to assume considerable variations across the regions/cities etc.

If someone cared to do the research into the cultural backgrounds of the councillors in the more renowned vibrant cities and London Boroughs and then checked the PCI for those countries who knows what pattern may emerge.
The problem is that it would probably be perceived as racially aggravated research rather than a seeking for truth.

Corruptions Perceptions Index 2019 for United Kingdom

If I have, by virtue of thinking such thoughts aloud, committed a hate crime or caused offence then kindly send on my travel warrant to the re-education camp, Mogadishu for a long spell of comparative research and abasement.

NSP

LE
I'd bet most local councils in England have a link between dodgy property developments and someone somewhere in the town planning dept who likes brown envelopes.
Mine certainly does!

you must know our local county councillor

last had gainful real employment in 1987, before getting a job at the local conservative club.
Shortly afterwards, parachuted into a safe local council seat, quickly made it his business to be in on planning.

well what do you know, a planning application for some new HA homes, naturally, he was against them going on some green space, but what do you know, they altered the plans and put a 4 bed detached on the end the row, and it passed, well, by strange hapstance, he gets offered a new home by the HA... the new 4 bed detached. His Daimler Double 6 Looked very nice in the driveway. Shortly afterwards, he stood for the CC seat. He’s obviously a very frugal chap, being able to afford to run a 4 bed house and luxury cars on a councillors Meagre stipend.

you must know our local county councillor

last had gainful real employment in 1987, before getting a job at the local conservative club.
Shortly afterwards, parachuted into a safe local council seat, quickly made it his business to be in on planning.

well what do you know, a planning application for some new HA homes, naturally, he was against them going on some green space, but what do you know, they altered the plans and put a 4 bed detached on the end the row, and it passed, well, by strange hapstance, he gets offered a new home by the HA... the new 4 bed detached. His Daimler Double 6 Looked very nice in the driveway. Shortly afterwards, he stood for the CC seat. He’s obviously a very frugal chap, being able to afford to run a 4 bed house and luxury cars on a councillors Meagre stipend.

Has anybody confirmed these accusations, and if proven, has anybody grassed him up for the corrupt arseh0le that he is, or a quite word to a sympathetic journalist might be in order ...allegedly.

Has anybody confirmed these accusations, and if proven, has anybody grassed him up for the corrupt arseh0le that he is, or a quite word to a sympathetic journalist might be in order ...allegedly.

now happily retired after a career where he was famously litigious.
not that I’m alleging my Council is run by crooks...
whats that? Cuts to be made in OAP provision? Head made redundant with a rather fabulous payout. whats that! A familiar face waltzes in the door a month later in a new role?

as some Ancient Greek, Pericles? noted, anyone who would voluntarily put him self forward for so onerous and thankless a task as public service, is either a Crook or a scoundrel and should be disbarred,

Councillor John Thomas? Is it a spoof?

There is or at least was an IT director with that very same name

Just the same as there really are people called Richard Head (but never seemed to be called Dick for some strange reason best left to themselves)

Latest Threads