Classroom voters back the Lib Dems

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, May 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sure to please PTP :D

Rest of article here

2. Considering most of the young neds (chavs) i teach couldn't find the hole in their backside with both hands, I am not exactly fully convinced that thismeans anything!

Although lord Tony of Burberry will not be pleased that the offspring of his chav generation are revolting against him.

3. I'm glad your not teaching my kids with that attitude........ :evil:

4. There have also been calls to reduce the voting age to 16! Frankly I'm totally against the idea. I know that age 16 I had some really stupid ideas on how things happened and views on the world, mainly because I hadn't experienced any of it. I think the voting age should be put back UP to 21.

5. Then it'd only be fair to raise the age at which you must pay tax and which you can join the Armed Forces to equal the voting age surly?

Its not really fair to expect someone to pay taxes and put their life on the line for the country when they're not even allowed a say in the matter.

6. Errrrrr I'm not sure how to say this Helpful , but it's not like they are at the moment, is it? ;)

7. Having worked with young people, I am firmly of the opinion that the average maturity of the youth of today is getting less and less. That is not to say all, but an average. The vast majority of the young have no interest in politics and are ignorant of how this country is governed. If we lower the voting age, we will simply put greater emphasis on the popularity contest and leadershipcult that BLiar has started. Serious political consideration will be further replaced by sound bites and media exposure. This, I'm affraid, will lead us further towards as presidential style of government. God help us.

8. Not really, because how can you get the experience to form a balanced opinion without having those experiences first. It's all well and good to like the nice woolly policies that the various parties, but until kids actually experience how much tax the theiving gits take from us how can they really appreciate different parties tax policies (not that there was much difference between the parties in the last election, apart from the Lib Dems on their usual high-tax suicide trip).

9. Sigstab - you do like to bite.

I was attempting to point out that the poll took into account the views of 1/2 million Primary and secondary kids. How many children under 12 years old do you know who are socially aware (apart from your own outstanding offspring,of course). Added to that, anyone who knows anything about child development would know that children only develop an empathic understanding of the needs and views of others between 13 - 14 years old.

Additionally how trust can we put in the views of those to whom their views don't cost anything. If you or I vote for a pressure group or party with an agenda such as the Greens we have to consider what the effect is on the overall election of a government, but a child doesn't care - because its all a bit of fun. And what about taxes - don't pay them don't care!! That is the answer of the 14-15 year olds I asked 10 minutes ago!!!!

If you can find in this or any other area of social deprevation, a socially aware politically motivated pupil under the age of 13, then point them out. I've been doing this for years and I haven't seen one.

Therefore lets not get too excited about the views of a bunch of kids - many of whom don't know the first thing about the topic.

10. Tip for the tories - How to get elected 101

Lower the voting age to 16.

Then offer free text messages to everyone who votes for you.
    Free burberry and hoodie tops for campaigners.
    Free Bling for young conservatives.
    ....go for it.

11. I really don't take this any more seriously than an ' ahhhhhhh sweet' story.

If the kids were given 3 photos of the party leaders to choose from, which one would they have voted for?

Chris Rennard can bang on all he likes , it's his job. But the one ositive thing is, it does foster political interest in the young, and that can't be a bad thing. In 5 years time (assuming we still have elections) these children will be eligible to vote, it is important they start acquainting themselves with the process as soon as possible.

Does anyone remember Hague? addressing conference in school uniform?

12. All well and good, but there's a case to be made that this description would also fit a large proportion of those that currently have the franchise. Churchill once said that the greatest argument against democracy was spending five minutes with the average voter.

The outcome of school mock-elections mean fcuk-all and the kids knew it. Give them some credit. How many people would have voted lib-dem if the threat of a tory/labour govt didn't hang over them? The kids knew that nothing was going to come of the 'election' so why bother worrying about tactical voting?

Speaking for myself, I took my first real vote a lot more seriously than in later life. I sat down, looked at the campaign literature, party-political bullsh1ts etc and made an informed choice. There is a case to be made that involving kids early on in the political process will make them into politically informed and educated adults and surely that is a good thing?

Furthermore, one could argue that some issues, such as environmental policy, social security and government debt gets short shrift because the effects will be felt in the long term, way beyond the next election cycle. These are the issues that kids will have to deal with while we are dribbling semolina down our chin in the nursing home. Why not let them have a say in creating the mess that they will have to clean up?