Classical Music rocks too....

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Higgs_bosun, Dec 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We can't live without music but often pigeon hole ourselves into one genre or another. In this thread I'd like to offer some classical works that perhaps you will appreciate. Starting with J S Bach. He is undoubtedly the father of music… Although I’m completely secular one can’t ignore that his material was inspired by religion. Thankfully it makes it no less enjoyable….. A random selection of five examples from over a thousand to choose from just to get it rolling...

YouTube - Bach - Double Violin Concerto (part two)

YouTube - Bach - Magnificat - 02 - Et exsultavit

YouTube - Bach: Cantata BWV 54, "Widerstehe doch der Sünde" A Scholl

YouTube - Glenn Gould plays Bach Prelude in C Minor

YouTube - J. S. Bach: BWV 998 "Prelude"
  2. You seem to steer towards Bach, Paganini, heavily influences my electric guitar playing and I studied Sor, J S Bach, Scarletti and Weiss whilst learning Classical Guitar, infact I'm listening to Julian byzantine playing some Baroque guitar now as I type, well, there's f all else to do at this time in the morning.
  3. If one was forced to listen to only one composer for the rest of one's life I think I would choose Beethoven. From his symphonies to the sublime late piano sonatas he managed to set a standard of excellence that I don't think has been surpassed.
  4. Whilst not exactly a classical piece, I reckon this 18th century traditional song is always worth an airing.

This version from 'Sharpe' the TV series.

5. Vaughn Williams all day every day. People tend to forget,some of the British composers are great.
  6. I prefer the flute version TBH
  7. I don't stray into this forum much but I suppose there's only so much lavatorial humour and political ranting that one can stomach in the end.

May I, for no other reason than it is quite possibly the most beautiful instrument ever made, put in a quick ad for the human voice?

Every so often you come across a work that alters your way of thinking about music. One such piece—for me at least—has been Rachmaninov's Vespers (and more accurately, the Robert Shaw Festival Singers' recording, excerpts below) which opened up the choral world to me.

Russian baritones, when properly recorded, needs to be played back on equipment with a good bass response; anything else just won't do them justice. You'll know when you've got it right when you have to straighten all your ornaments and pictures afterwards.

In spite of having some form in this area, I'm not what you'd call a practising God-botherer but I have never had a problem enjoying the musical product of religion. I've always thought that Church patronage played a not dissimilar role to that of the film industry today in that it allowed a number of talented composers to practice their art and eat.

After I got hooked on the Shaw recording (and there are some ropey ones out there, so beware) I went to hear it sung at St Sophia's Cathedral in Moscow Road, Bayswater. The place is dripping in mosaics, gold leaf and religious iconography that rarely fails to make an impression on even the most agnostic visitor. Add to this candlelight and Rach's Vespers and, for an hour or so—no matter what your beliefs—you are wrapped in the dark Byzantine mystery of the Orthodox Church.

Vespers: Nyne Otpushchayeshi (Now Let Thy Servant Depart)
    Vespers: Blagoslovi, Dushe Moya (Bless the Lord, O my Soul)

Do let me know if this makes it into Pseud's Corner; I'll be in the NAAFI giggling at fart jokes.

8. Absolutely.... My collections also include Julian Bream, John Williams and of course Segovia... but as a guitar player myself it is only in my dreams to play like this guy>>>>

YouTube - Adam Fulara-BWV_847
  9. Fulara is quite a player I'll give you that, his gurning is also very entertaining.

Here's a piece I've been practising lately, infact, I'm going to have a go at the Presto now that I've listened to it.

YouTube - S.L. Weiss~Fantasie (Julian Bream)
  10. Can't argue too much about that...old cloth ears is near the top of my short list....

This synthetic version of Ode To Joy blasts through our home at full volume just when I'm in the mood. Better the audio gear the better the me! Thankfully our nearest neighbours are out of range....:)

11. I enjoyed that but not the genre I had in mind on starting this thread... a tad contrived.
  12. No chance of me attempting that.... Bream is brilliant.