"classic" pump action

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by BONNACON, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a bit averse to things shiney and new I have been looking for a classic pump action shotgun. nothing fancy just want it to do all things bright and beautiful that a shotgun can. Duck, pheasant, fox, clays etal. had my mind set on remington or winchester but not seen a decent old one yet. any suggestions? Stevens,squires,manufrance and marlin all come upon guntrader but I due to the lack of popularity in the uk I don't know of many that shoot with them. Shot with them abroad and loved them so......

2. So why not buy one?

3. My first gun was a Remington Wingmaster that my Grandad lent me, bloody loved it but did get some strange looks on the range and a pair was almost impossible to hit!

The only drama I had was when I took it apart to clean it and couldnt get the bloody thing back together again!

4. The problem with pump action S/G's now is that in the UK with current legislation you can only have a maximum of 3 cartridges in the weapon so it doesn't give much advantage over the traditional double barreled S/G, compared with the possible 8 cartridges available to our overseas cousins which was the original advantage, saving the slower action of breaking the gun after two shots! Again the action of pulling the slide back after each shot causes the gun to wobble thus losing the smoothness if you are attempting a pair! In over 30 years of shooting I rarely came across any being used in the UK either in the field or on clay grounds!
    Get yourself a good over & under, you wont regret it!

5. I have a Stevens M520-30 and a Winchester 1897 and a Winchester M12 I find them to be beautifully handling

6. Mossberg 500 - cheap, reliable, and tough as old boots.

But as ex-Colonial pointed out, as UK law restricts pump guns to 3 shots (and bans the use of rifled barrels), the many advantages of such a weapon are nullified.

But they do make a very satifying sound when the pump action is racked!

7. Thanks Ex colonial I know what you men about clay grounds. I usually end up borrowing an over and under then but I don't know why my hearts just not with em and oddly enough at the small clay club I shoot with more shoot with semis than over and under probobly because they all go for duck round here. Regarding the "wobble" when you get in the rhythm it seems to work for me. Not to bothered about 3 shots thats about enough though I am moving up to fac goldbrickers winchester 1897 might put the german tourists off as they have complained about them before I believe! Gassing badgers your right about the sound, clickie things are better than shiney things to me. Bty do you realise this is a christmas present to me. now there's another thread.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Possibly the easiest pump gun to strip and assemble unless you are daft and strip the trigger mech when a squirt of WD40 would do!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have my Ithaca 37 in section 1, shot DTL at Wedgenock once, cleaned up even if I only loaded 3. Full choke helps for when they are a long way off. I have a savage 79VR but they and Stevens are the same gun but not as good as a Browning BPS or a Wingmaster. Both are used here for clays and some have used semi's for pheasant but not on formal shoots.
    The Wingmaster or Mossberg 500 are easy enough to strip and clean, cheap enough to feed and also ok on Skeet layouts. Try and avoid the Mossberg C Lect chokes though, they look like and old SLR BFA on your pump gun!

10. if you get the mossy get the hushpower barrel aswell, handy when discretion is required.

11. I used to have a Mossberg 500, I bought it with three barrels, one new variichoke, one shot out varichoke (self improving-improved cylinder, top tip, don't shoot slug through varichokes) and one rifled "Maverick" barrel. I gave the weapon every chance but it was just a machine for turning out brass and plastic. I don't like the length of pumps or autos, I like a gun that swings well, even in woodland. I also find them too noisy, I didn't wrap my shat skiddies around my mess tins for half my life only to go shooting with a one man band slung over my shoulder.

Give me a side by side for rough and game shooting everytime.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Paradox! .

13. It's the C-Lect choke I refer too as Varichokes, complete waste of time, fragile and quite disturbing to the eye.

What's the paradox?

14. You must have owned your rifled barrel before the ban, or lived outside the UK?

I find it ironic (and maddening) that that owning a 3-shot pump gun with a rifle barrel is illegal, yet it would fine to own a double-barreled rifled gun, or a bolt-action with 10-round magazine!

15. Ithaca's 1897's savage/stevens M12's With big sticks like them you must speak very softly! As for over and unders/ side by sides my head knows your right, It's me that has the problem not you. Actually I do have a side by side (albeit a reprofed 1879 hammer), a single barrel and my favorite I'm afraid is my greener gp (feed me I will shoot). so you see chokes are a black art to me. I am fortunate to be able to shoot on some scrub and fields around us so noise and numpties are not usually a problem. My main problem is high hedges. Field shooting bird goes up, bird goes over bird away. Rabbits are a different matter loads of scrub so I get close enough. I also have access to good duck grounds.
    Dogface I like the Idea of the 37 I'm looking into it. Mossberg sounds ok but Yanks say quality has gone down lateley. Any one have any experiance with manufrance?