classic Lee-Enfield lovers

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by maguire, Aug 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

45-70 were done a few years ago by the US Gibbs mob, nice enough but must have kicked like a mule. I rather fancy one for pig shooting.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Gibbs and these new ones were definetly aimed at the hunting market, something those expensive but very well made armalon ones were never intended for.
    I couldnt justify a heavy rifle for competition work but for wild boar definetly!
  4. Seen on a pub wall whilst drinking with ARRSErs

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      File size:
      18.4 KB
  5. Its every Arrser's duty to go out, join HBSA or LERA, get an FAC - and buy a live Lee Enfield.

Come the Revolution, you're going to need a rifle anyway; best to get one now while stocks are still available....

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He's right you know, even I have one!
  7. Why only one? I have several and so should everyone else. The Fuzz don't ask: "Why do you need more than one .303", any more.

I know who the owner of that stand is. Is it yours?

Attached Files:

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I had 4 but I sold all my service rifles as Bisley and the clowns at the NRA take all the joy out of shooting. The muzzle energy fiasco was the last straw. I wont shoot there when I can shoot for free ten miles from my house!
  9. I can understand that but LERA are good bunch and quite a few of us HBSA Members are quite nice too - at least I am. :)
  10. Looks like they're still in use with someone - not sure of the story behind the picture

11. I've got three. Ought to get some more.....
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lera are ok, not sure about the HBSA. I wont be at this months meeting, need to pack the trailer for the Gillingham and Shaftesbury show!
  13. I'm currently on my fifth - actually a Parker Hale sporter conversion - just re-barreled, threaded for a moderator and being smoothed-up for a dip in the blacking tank.

The big problem is, as always, finding decent quantities of reliable ammo. A while ago there was some pretty odd stuff about - barn sweepings that made the convoy trip to Russia in WWII. The odd failure to fire but quite entertaining as the terminal effects could be rather jolly, if you hadn't read the head-stamps - BVIIZ being quite a common find. A lot ended up in the collection; sorting and cataloging that lot comes under the heading of 'things to do on a cold winter's evening'
  14. I have just the two: the first is an Armalon in 9mm, bought with a fat wad of pistol compensation money back in '96. It's fully capable of shooting ragged, one hole groups at 25m. I still enjoy the double take it gets from all the lever action shooters.

My other is a beautiful Fulton regulated No. 4 - bought from our own 4(T) of course! He really does have an amazing collection of goodies. I managed a 2nd place score with this first time out in a Veteran rifle competition, only for it to be disallowed after some sporting chap complained about the SRb Parker Hale rearsight. It now has the ordinary rearsight from the Armalon fitted. We'll see how it does next time!