Classic car as a daily runner?

You left out the XJS.
But THAT was a real hound.

So did Jaguar themselves. This is the original window sticker from my car. No sign of the XJS at the top :)

256DCE95-3C4F-4ECB-9875-7E2D51C5BCEE.jpeg

"Classic car as a daily runner?"

Only if you are a TV or Film character playing a cop or a private eye. That also qualifies you for the 20yr old hottie gagging for you even if your advancing age is the same as your waist measurement
Money talks. BS walks. Chicks dig hot wheels. ;) :pirat: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ETA my other classic car is a 1974 Dodge Coronet with 360 c V-8 and three speed automatic, ex-Arizona sheriff's car. None of this modern day nonsense with computers and catalytic converters. Good old carburation and mechanical differential and transmissions that do what they're supposed to do, i.e. catch bud guys. A feller can understand and respect that.

Telly-Savalas.jpg
1974 Dodge Coronet.jpg

Last edited:

ETA my other classic car is a 1974 Dodge Coronet with 360 c V-8 and three speed automatic, ex-Arizona sheriff's car. None of this modern day nonsense with computers and catalytic converters. Good old carburation and mechanical differential and transmissions that do what they're supposed to do, i.e. catch bud guys. A feller can understand and respect that.

View attachment 611628View attachment 611629
To the next 300,000 miles then.
No sub for Big Iron Block cubes really.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

TamH70

MIA

View attachment 611628View attachment 611629

So, cop motor, cop shocks, cop wheels, cop tyres, cop suspension.

... Do you play in a popular beat combo with guys who wear suits, ties, white shirts, and sunglasses after dark?

Yes. IF it was built right.
Which the majority weren't.
See my post re Rover SD1.

I've had four
All elderly and well past their prime

Fuel consumption asides I'd run another tomorrow
Nothing wrong with them that 20 years less corrosion wouldn't have improved

I would genuinely challenge you to show me a better GT car from the 70s or 80s at a similar price
Back then the V12 wasn't matched by much out there

I've had four

I would genuinely challenge you to show me a better GT car from the 70s or 80s at a similar price
Good cars, I'll admit.
But built-in quality problems.
What are BMW 635s going for these days?

TamH70

MIA
Less than a good quality XJS last time I looked, wouldn't catch an XJS on an A Road either!

70s and 80s Jaguars are much maligned and far, far better the reputation suggests

Probably true if you've got a pet Edd China or that new blerk in Wheeler Dealers as your spanner monkey. If it was my money, and it more than likely will never be as I keep death off the road by not having a licence, I wouldn't touch any British car from the Seventies or Eighties.

Probably true if you've got a pet Edd China or that new blerk in Wheeler Dealers as your spanner monkey. If it was my money, and it more than likely will never be as I keep death off the road by not having a licence, I wouldn't touch any British car from the Seventies or Eighties.

Some of the best cars I've ever had are those with a terrible reputation today

V12 Jaguar's and V8 Land Rovers being amongst the very best
Maintenance intensive certainly, quality design equally as certainly
Being a pauper in my youth I simply learned to repair and maintain them myself

Besides, 30 years ago nothing snapped knocker elastic faster than a V12 XJS

I've had four

This you?

Knackered 1980 Jag V-12 gets the business.

My wifes Merc 180d has a Peugeot engine with Merc repair bills?

PSA make arguably the best handling FWD cars & have made bullet proof diesel engines for decades.

Sadly Your "Merc" is a Renault Clio with 3 point slapped on the front,

Other Renault technology partners include Datsun & Lada... :)

Latest Threads