Classic car as a daily runner?

High tech is ABS and stability control.
ABS and Electronic Stability Program are nice to have items but pricey if they get out of sorts. My 2010 Dodge Challenger needed to have all wheel sensors replaced and rear axle serviced to the tune of $1500 big men. Cleared the trouble codes from the CPU as well by the computer wizard at the main Fiat/Chrysler dealer. Having too much fun blasting up to 100 mph though to ever get rid of it at the moment. 165K on the odometer.

2010 Dodge Challenger.jpg

"Classic car as a daily runner?"

Only if you are a TV or Film character playing a cop or a private eye. That also qualifies you for the 20yr old hottie gagging for you even if your advancing age is the same as your waist measurement

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

964ST

LE
ABS and Electronic Stability Program are nice to have items but pricey if they get out of sorts. My 2010 Dodge Challenger needed to have all wheel sensors replaced and rear axle serviced to the tune of $1500 big men. Cleared the trouble codes from the CPU as well by the computer wizard at the main Fiat/Chrysler dealer. Having too much fun blasting up to 100 mph though to ever get rid of it at the moment. 165K on the odometer.

View attachment 611523
If you can log into ARSSE, then you can diagnose the computer controlled systems on your own car. You just require the correct cable for the interface and the software program. There would be a very strange fault on the abs/esc that requires "all" sensors to be replaced (not impossible?) but highly likely the fault was due to something else ie. wiring fault. Still they fixed it and you are happy :)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I say through gritted teeth, is the Dacia duster the simplest car to maintain
Its a Renault clio underneath so it should be, good quality French underpinnings topped off with a high level of security
Ie no self respecting car thief will steal it
I know people that buy them for that reason and the fact they don't give a toss about poncey flash cars, preffering to spend their money on property instead

Last edited:
Its a Renault clip underneath so it should be, good quality French underpinnings topped off with a high level of security
I know people that buy them for that reason and the fact they don't give a toss about poncey flash cars, preffering to spend their money on property instead
Two of my shooting colleagues have Dacias
One has intentionally bought the poverty spec one, manual windows, no frills, nothing to go wrong, no one wants to Nick it, does exactly what he wants, starts, drives stops that’s it.
Fairly cheap car.
The other has the four wheel drive version which is not bad trundling onto and over farmers stubble fields for pigeon shooting, not brilliant handling on road though.
But with 4wd, metallic paint all the bells and whistles to turn it into a reasonable spec car, it is no longer a cheap car .

Still no one wants to Nick that one either

964ST

LE
Two of my shooting colleagues have Dacias
One has intentionally bought the poverty spec one, manual windows, no frills, nothing to go wrong, no one wants to Nick it, does exactly what he wants, starts, drives stops that’s it.
Fairly cheap car.
The other has the four wheel drive version which is not bad trundling onto and over farmers stubble fields for pigeon shooting, not brilliant handling on road though.
But with 4wd, metallic paint all the bells and whistles to turn it into a reasonable spec car, it is no longer a cheap car .

Still no one wants to Nick that one either
My wifes Merc 180d has a Peugeot engine with Merc repair bills? If she had not flipped out on the test drive in torrential rain and it IS "really fücking confusing car to Operate!", then the automatic version would have had a Merc motor.

Now we have a car that if you do not set the electronic handbrake by pressing the brake pedal hard (HOLD), or physically using the handle thing (not a handbrake lever that is intuative)! It will roll off! FFS

14 year old mX5 passed the MOT first time with no advisories.

As I am semi-retiring next year I'm hoping to get more use out of it this year than last.

MG without tears. High tech is ABS and stability control.
:mad:
Oh....um....erm....:oops:

Anyhow if....you ever get up "here" hit me up.
Brew & burgers are on you in true tight git Jockhanistan tradition.

964ST

LE
MX-5 NB was one of the most reliable cars that I had ever bought! It was absolutely "maintenace-free", non offensive and fun to drive! Plus if your hair needed "coifferoung" you could do it yourself.

(Flashback!! to the tightest man in NATO, Speedy Jaranatez cutting his own hair in the "safety equipment bay" in aldergrove, with the biggest/sharpest pair of sisscors ever!
End result looked like a victim of the holacaust (yep! he was that thin!)

MX-5 NB was one of the most reliable cars that I had ever bought! It was absolutely "maintenace-free", non offensive and fun to drive!
Prices are now escalating too if it's not a rot box.
How about a low miles mint 10AE, with it's gift pack & OEM alloys etc....10k?
A good RS MK1 with all it's Hiroshima OEMs intact.....£12 to 18k.
Hiroshima are/were doing nut and bolters back at the original factory.
Only Mk1's need apply, and they fine comb it to see if it's worth their work effort & ethic never mind your money.
I think this one was around 25-30k....about the price of a new Mk4 but ...which would you really have?
Roadster-delivery.jpg

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20Mazda%20reveals%20the%20first%20factory-restored%20MX-5%20%E2%80%93%20_V8A4271.jpg

And, the big question....how much of a % dip in value will it suffer? Unknown...since to my knowledge, no factory remanufactures have be sold off..... yet.

Mine is not quite so fine...but it'll do me for a bit.

Which is why "we" don't give a shit what "outsiders" think!

Last edited:
Prices are now escalating too if it's not a rot box.
How about a low miles mint 10AE, with it's gift pack & OEM alloys etc....10k?
A good RS MK1 with all it's Hiroshima OEMs intact.....£12 to 18k.
Hiroshima are/were doing nut and bolters back at the original factory.
Only Mk1's need apply, and they fine comb it to see if it's worth their work effort & ethic never mind your money.
I think this one was around 25-30k....about the price of a new Mk4 but ...which would you really have?
Roadster-delivery.jpg

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20Mazda%20reveals%20the%20first%20factory-restored%20MX-5%20%E2%80%93%20_V8A4271.jpg

Mine is not quite so fine...but it'll do me for a bit.

Which is why "we" don't give a shit what "hetrosexuals" think!
FOC.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Its a Renault clip underneath so it should be, good quality French underpinnings topped off with a high level of security
It also has the huge advantage of Transylvanian rather than fFrench electrics.

Latest Threads