Classic car as a daily runner?

If we're talking Volvos....

volvo-480.png

964ST

LE
Don’t need a UJ on the back. It speaks for itself. One of the last Jags to be made of more cows and trees than plastic :D

As for the Top Gear thing, well, I keep going back to them. First a ‘96 XJ6 Sport in black with ivory leather and ebony wood, then a 97 XK8 in ice blue with cream leather (but pig-awful light brown door caps and dash top), now this one.

Seems I’m a Jag bloke. I’ll wear that cap :D
You have had "2 Jags" now you have the "Booster!"

Boxy, but they're good.
designed to meet impact and crash standards, rather than aesthetics.
Ugly ducklings, indeed, but years ahead of their time
For comfort, practicality, reliability and sheer road presence they are hard to beat as a great classic.
I’m weird, but I also think they are good looking cars! :)

Not quite yet a classic at 16 years old, but most of them are. This one is a 2006 Victory Limited Edition. The last 1050 XK8s/Rs to be made. Actually produced in early 2005. I’ve been looking for one of these for a while, and it took a couple of weeks to negotiate, but she’s sitting on my drive this morning. We had to go up to the Washington DC area to get it, about a 900 mile round trip.

At 53, I thought it was time for one last hurrah. I didn’t want to be buying something like this when I was 63, and maybe I’ll still have it at 63, or maybe I’ll tire of it in a couple years. Or tire of the bills :). Anyway, at least for now, I am a very happy bunny. Bay blue, Ivory leather. 19” Atlas chrome wheels. It’s a 16 year old Jag, so there’s all kinds of minor stuff wrong with it, like the seat motor doesn’t un-recline, a couple of the wheels are chipped, the headliner and soft top could do with replacement.

The sun’s just coming up here, but I’ll be cleaning it today, and will post more photos as I discover the next $500 bill :)

@Ecosse @CaptainRidiculous

View attachment 610375
View attachment 610376
That’s the spirit, enjoy life while you can! When I lived in Larchmont ‘96-‘97, the bloke across the road upon turning 40 ‘treated’ himself … to a pristine “E Type” for a birthday present, and it truly was a delight to behold. As a Noo Yawk legal chap money was no object and he happily pootled around in it during good weather.

Bit of an update, I took it to get registered in my state today. Big difference between the UK and US, you pay sales tax on the entire amount of the sale for used cars. In the UK, you only pay VAT on whatever the dealer’s markup is. If he buys a car for £10K and sells it for £11K, you pay VAT on the £1000 markup. Here, at least in TN, it’s the entire purchase price, less any trade-in. Paperwork wise, it was a 3-minute transaction at the courthouse this morning, but I‘m $1100 lighter.

Still, my annual registration is $23. In the UK, it’d be £340/yr.

After all the help I got from my credit union to get the seller a cashier’s check (see compliments thread), they asked that I brought it by when I got it. Happily discharged that obligation this morning.

0134FE93-FAF6-41B8-B025-8B2176103B4F.jpeg

If we're talking Volvos....

View attachment 610452
Nice 480. I think it was a fairly advanced car for its time. If the wipers were on and you put it in reverse the rear wiper would go, the key holes would light up when you lifted the door handle. Mine had a very accurate range readout. When it said the tank was empty the car stopped.

RP

Well it took me all flipping day, but I’ve given the Jag a good cleaning. 16 years of grime in the leather. The family that had it before me (father, then son) had it for 10 of its 16 years, and by the looks of it, they didn’t do much interior maintenance. Or used Mickey Mouse products. A hundred bucks on Gliptone and Autoglym has worked wonders. Also got the Toytown window tint off.

5EF0B7BC-99F4-45C7-8321-24C5C1A5AD6C.jpeg

C9EBCFC1-827D-4704-A86C-82CCCF32FF37.jpeg
787B8E9D-2B06-4829-B430-129D3A57ADB5.jpeg
4D3F6867-D5DD-4B4B-AF3E-6A8416DBF8CD.jpeg
0A00B084-06C7-420F-9A94-A90919BF68F1.jpeg

964ST

LE
Well it took me all flipping day, but I’ve given the Jag a good cleaning. 16 years of grime in the leather. The family that had it before me (father, then son) had it for 10 of its 16 years, and by the looks of it, they didn’t do much interior maintenance. Or used Mickey Mouse products. A hundred bucks on Gliptone and Autoglym has worked wonders. Also got the Toytown window tint off.

View attachment 611507
View attachment 611508View attachment 611509View attachment 611510View attachment 611511
Its like a grown mans MX5 :)

964ST

LE
Indeed. I’ve always like the look of Miatas, especially the Mk 1s; fun to drive too. But you can’t do this in an MX5:

View attachment 611514

:D
I think your choice of car is "admiral", good looking with a complementry V8 soundtrain, (and the golf sticks fit in).
And Nice Wheels :).

Advice! get the computer diagnose software for the failure resetting and manipulation. Not the cheap shit! an actual designed program for your vehicle you will save lots :) They are not expensive.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
14 year old mX5 passed the MOT first time with no advisories.

As I am semi-retiring next year I'm hoping to get more use out of it this year than last.

MG without tears. High tech is ABS and stability control.

964ST

LE
14 year old mX5 passed the MOT first time with no advisories.

As I am semi-retiring next year I'm hoping to get more use out of it this year than last.

MG without tears. High tech is ABS and stability control.
Do you know (alledgedly!) you can remove the fuel guage fuse from an NB model, and the mileage does not count any more! (from german turk shit)

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Only did 1,,000 miles last year due to Covid anyway.
14 years old, 51,000 on the clock!

The bloke who bought my Mk1 MX5 did 100 [one hundred] miles per year in it for 8 years. Why bother having the car? He must have polished the paint ff it.

My problem with buying a useable classic is that I'd run the arrse out of it. Been looking at a Triumph 2500TC estate which ticks most of the boxes for me, or else a TR6 to replace the MX5. But then i realise that it would cost me a fortune and probably get rusty.

I can fix most of the greasy bits myself, but rust ..... oh, and a decent TR6 is £25,000

The bloke who bought my Mk1 MX5 did 100 [one hundred] miles per year in it for 8 years. Why bother having the car? He must have polished the paint ff it.

My problem with buying a useable classic is that I'd run the arrse out of it. Been looking at a Triumph 2500TC estate which ticks most of the boxes for me, or else a TR6 to replace the MX5. But then i realise that it would cost me a fortune and probably get rusty.

I can fix most of the greasy bits myself, but rust ..... oh, and a decent TR6 is £25,000

Get thisen an XK8 or XKR :)

As a young lad, my neighbours dad was head of the workshop at a BMC dealer. His company car was a Triumph 2500 PI.
Any car was a rare sight outside a council house in those days, but I loved the look and the sound of that beast. :)

Latest Threads