Classic car as a daily runner?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Had a look at the golf this morning to try and get it started.

Checked the spark; all good, checked; fuel all good too, so narrowed it down to either some weird electrical fault or something with the K Jet fuel injection system.

Almost as an afterthought, I thought “**** it, I’ll whack a bit of easy start in there and see what happens.”

As I was removing the K Jet pipe it just came straight off in my hand. It wasn’t done up tight and had partially popped off. (Indicated by red arrow in pic).

Tightened it all up, car fired straight away and is running sweet.

Disaster averted.
d9046bf7-f63d-4d0d-a3e6-3fbdf5f46ed5-jpeg.610345
What's the bit of string around your spazzer bar ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not my engine bay, just a pic I lifted off the internet because I can’t be arsed to go back out to the garage.

Mine’s really not bad at all though.
Ok seen.
You'll have no idea.

Not quite yet a classic at 16 years old, but most of them are. This one is a 2006 Victory Limited Edition. The last 1050 XK8s/Rs to be made. Actually produced in early 2005. I’ve been looking for one of these for a while, and it took a couple of weeks to negotiate, but she’s sitting on my drive this morning. We had to go up to the Washington DC area to get it, about a 900 mile round trip.

At 53, I thought it was time for one last hurrah. I didn’t want to be buying something like this when I was 63, and maybe I’ll still have it at 63, or maybe I’ll tire of it in a couple years. Or tire of the bills :). Anyway, at least for now, I am a very happy bunny. Bay blue, Ivory leather. 19” Atlas chrome wheels. It’s a 16 year old Jag, so there’s all kinds of minor stuff wrong with it, like the seat motor doesn’t un-recline, a couple of the wheels are chipped, the headliner and soft top could do with replacement.

The sun’s just coming up here, but I’ll be cleaning it today, and will post more photos as I discover the next $500 bill :)

@Ecosse @CaptainRidiculous

4F33703A-5DCA-48BE-8E5D-53B9AEE28F70.jpeg

3429943F-17EF-40C6-86D3-7D5590FF8108.jpeg

Not quite yet a classic at 16 years old, but most of them are. This one is a 2006 Victory Limited Edition. The last 1050 XK8s/Rs to be made. Actually produced in early 2005. I’ve been looking for one of these for a while, and it took a couple of weeks to negotiate, but she’s sitting on my drive this morning. We had to go up to the Washington DC area to get it, about a 900 mile round trip.

At 53, I thought it was time for one last hurrah. I didn’t want to be buying something like this when I was 63, and maybe I’ll still have it at 63, or maybe I’ll tire of it in a couple years. Or tire of the bills :). Anyway, at least for now, I am a very happy bunny. Bay blue, Ivory leather. 19” Atlas chrome wheels. It’s a 16 year old Jag, so there’s all kinds of minor stuff wrong with it, like the seat motor doesn’t un-recline, a couple of the wheels are chipped, the headliner and soft top could do with replacement.

The sun’s just coming up here, but I’ll be cleaning it today, and will post more photos as I discover the next $500 bill :)

View attachment 610375
View attachment 610376
I'd not have guessed that in a month of Sundays TBH. Bloody corker. Well played.
Ah well, as the old saying goes, " Tits or tyres, both empty your bank and break your heart"
(But you still wanna ride 'em hard!)

Last edited:

View attachment 610375
View attachment 610376

Nice.
Just don’t forget it’s called a ‘Jairgwaaar’ over there, when you’re calling the AAA to rescue you from the median.

Nice.
Just don’t forget it’s called a ‘Jairgwaaar’ over there, when you’re calling the AAA to rescue you from the median.

Indeed. Jaguar USA attended an event an F-Type with “Jag You Are” stickers on the windows :)

As for AAA, when I was insuring it, there are drop-downs for optional extras. “Roadside Assistance/Towing” - er, yes, I’ll be needing that :)

This isn’t my first XK8, I had an early one (‘97) with the Nikasil motor and plastic timing chain tensioners. I had no Nikasil issues, but the timing tensioners did indeed shit the bed. $1500 later… :)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Anybody out there need a fuel tank?

F22B80F5-74DD-46AB-8E56-7E052FB2A4F6.jpeg

Fcuk Yeah @Roadster280 !
Wonderful motor, and well done.
Now, small Union flag on the back, problem solved.
and learn the following script.

Don’t need a UJ on the back. It speaks for itself. One of the last Jags to be made of more cows and trees than plastic :D

As for the Top Gear thing, well, I keep going back to them. First a ‘96 XJ6 Sport in black with ivory leather and ebony wood, then a 97 XK8 in ice blue with cream leather (but pig-awful light brown door caps and dash top), now this one.

Seems I’m a Jag bloke. I’ll wear that cap :D

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Don’t need a UJ on the back. It speaks for itself. One of the last Jags to be made of more cows and trees than plastic :D

As for the Top Gear thing, well, I keep going back to them. First a ‘96 XJ6 Sport in black with ivory leather and ebony wood, then a 97 XK8 in ice blue with cream leather (but pig-awful light brown door caps and dash top), now this one.

Seems I’m a Jag bloke. I’ll wear that cap :D
Cap? Do you have the string-backed driving gloves too?

Seriously - nice motor, they’re quite affordable over here.

Cap? Do you have the string-backed driving gloves too?

Seriously - nice motor, they’re quite affordable over here.

The guy who sold it to me gave me a Jaguar cap, which I’ve just washed :)

E78AD8A0-7710-432F-8F19-6725F98D0680.jpeg

They’re affordable here too. Having decided I wasn’t too old to get a British sports car, I was looking initially at 15 year old Astons and Bentleys, which go for about $40K. Then I realized I could get a much newer F-Type for that kind of money. Then I thought “WTF am I doing? - I am looking for a weekend car to go to the golf club in and the occasional dirty weekend away.“ So then back to the older car scenario, and the XK is in that bracket. I could have got an XKR money wise, but didn’t want the complexity of the supercharger (read more to go expensively wrong). So I settled on an XK8 convertible, and then looked for a Victory. So this is the very last of them, 72K miles, $13,500. It was $81K brand new in 2005.

Got a free hat too :)

Volvo 264 GLE. Auto and the wife will love it too. Saloon version cos the estates have been tortured by antique dealers.