Classic car as a daily runner?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And the Ferrari MOT runs out on Sunday so I best get the Golf fixed otherwise next week I’m commuting in the Landy.

Well I knew it would happen eventually. The Golf wouldn’t start yesterday morning. Not sure why, it’s been running perfectly and now won’t fire. It turns over fine and I can hear the fuel pump but it just won’t fire.

It’s getting a spark because sometimes it splutters to life for a second.

Will investigate properly this weekend.

In the meantime I had to revert to the backup option. View attachment 610065
Oh God no. Having to slum it in that rotting crock of common Cooncil House Estate shit?
Need a paper bag Ravers?
Sympathies.:(

Truxx

LE
Well I knew it would happen eventually. The Golf wouldn’t start yesterday morning. Not sure why, it’s been running perfectly and now won’t fire. It turns over fine and I can hear the fuel pump but it just won’t fire.

In the meantime I had to revert to the backup option. View attachment 610065View attachment 610066View attachment 610067
If you reckon you have fuel then you are adrift spark. Pull a plug lead, stick a plug in it, lie it on the head so it is earthed, turn the engine over (or get a well briefed child to do it) and check for a spark.

In that you are getting nothing, not even one cylinder firing, the first place I would be looking is the crank position sensor.

Actually I am assuming you motor is not a distributor version with points etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you reckon you have fuel then you are adrift spark. Pull a plug lead, stick a plug in it, lie it on the head so it is earthed, turn the engine over (or get a well briefed child to do it) and check for a spark.

In that you are getting nothing, not even one cylinder firing, the first place I would be looking is the crank position sensor.

Actually I am assuming you motor is not a distributor version with points etc.

It’s a later version. I think the early 1600s had points, mines the 1.8 DX engine.

125657F0-CAC0-426A-9F3B-3EB6966CCA88.jpeg

I think these Golfs also have 2 not just one fuel pumps. At least my brother's had and he had issues with their earths from time to time but he is shit at looking after cars.
It's going to be leccy I'm sure.
SYB150.jpg

964ST

LE

In the meantime I had to revert to the backup option. View attachment 610065View attachment 610066View attachment 610067
Have you whipped the plugs out to see if they are wet? If so then clean them up, and refit them then try a start with the Cold Start Injector unplugged ( the 5th injector at the end of the intake plenum, should have a blue plug on the bottom, but not sure!). Sounds counter intuative but if it is overfuelling then can cause a prob.
Not sure if you have an Idle Control Valve on that model? but if id does then that needs to operate freely to start.

Make note of the date. It's probably the only time in history that a Ferrari has been more reliable than a Golf.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you whipped the plugs out to see if they are wet? If so then clean them up, and refit them then try a start with the Cold Start Injector unplugged ( the 5th injector at the end of the intake plenum, should have a blue plug on the bottom, but not sure!). Sounds counter intuative but if it is overfuelling then can cause a prob.
Not sure if you have an Idle Control Valve on that model? but if id does then that needs to operate freely to start.
You know I think you might have something there.

The other day it was idling a bit high but then it cured itself and I just put it down to old car problems.

Seems a strange coincidence that it’d do funny stuff with regards to idling and then die.

964ST

LE
You know I think you might have something there.

The other day it was idling a bit high but then it cured itself and I just put it down to old car problems.

Seems a strange coincidence that it’d do funny stuff with regards to idling and then die.
The injectors are a common prob on them, the can leak fuel after the car is shut down causing to much fuel in bore.
The injectors themselves should be "not wobbly" when you try and move them, new seals required and can cause mis fuelling/rough running

One must make do and muddle through some how. :pirat: :mrgreen:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Truxx

LE
Apart from the Nissan GT-R you’d have to be on a lot of Crystal meth to waste money importing any of those shitters.

Caveat: I have owned two of the cars on that list and would gladly own one of them again.
Other than the Barchetta and, at a pinch, the GTV, proof positive the Americans would not know what style and good taste were if they jumped up and bit their arrses

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had a look at the golf this morning to try and get it started.

Checked the spark; all good, checked; fuel all good too, so narrowed it down to either some weird electrical fault or something with the K Jet fuel injection system.

Almost as an afterthought, I thought “**** it, I’ll whack a bit of easy start in there and see what happens.”

As I was removing the K Jet pipe it just came straight off in my hand. It wasn’t done up tight and had partially popped off. (Indicated by red arrow in pic).

Tightened it all up, car fired straight away and is running sweet.

Disaster averted.
D9046BF7-F63D-4D0D-A3E6-3FBDF5F46ED5.jpeg

Given that modern cars are not usually easily maintained by your average driver, what is the most basic new family car available these days? Say 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. So a decent sized boot, possibly an estate of some sort? Not that myself or anyone I know is in the market for such a vehicle, I'm just interested in how "basic" basic is these days.

Basic = no sat-nav, reversing camera, aircon, electric door mirrors, heated seats, heated windscreen, etc.

Given that modern cars are not usually easily maintained by your average driver, what is the most basic new family car available these days? Say 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog. So a decent sized boot, possibly an estate of some sort? Not that myself or anyone I know is in the market for such a vehicle, I'm just interested in how "basic" basic is these days.

Basic = no sat-nav, reversing camera, aircon, electric door mirrors, heated seats, heated windscreen, etc.
You'd be hard pushed TBH.
Even my lad's little "pov spec" Fiesta1.2 Zetec ticks a few of the above.
Excellent car it is though...touch wood 38,000 trouble free miles over 4 years nearly but by Jove he looks after it very well....he knew I was watching....;)
I doubt Joe Public would buy anything without "basic" features now.
We get it FOC off him next year as a town run around....it's totally minty fresh now so all I have to do is keep it that way. He's upgrading to summat.
Thing is, as you know I run 2 old Mazda Roadsters. One is 27 years old, the Nippon Denso leccies are still fine bar a couple of coil packs over the years. Everything still works perfectly after 146,000 miles and a lot of them brutal in my ownership.

SWMBO's "much younger" 2002 Sport at 107,000 miles still has it's OEM Panasonic battery in the boot, and is only on it's second plipper battery.
(Both rotted to shit in my ownership and have been rebuilt mind...but that's another matter.)
Both these cars only have very basic Blob Chart features by today's Mx5 Mk4 standards with their bloody I-stop, exploding bonnet sensors, dodgy leccy controlled diffs, crappy Satnav and God knows what else....they are all causing pesky warranty issues since all these bits are (cough) "sourced" and no longer bullet proof Nippon Denso like my 2.
Progress then...

Last edited:
Had a look at the golf this morning to try and get it started.

Checked the spark; all good, checked; fuel all good too, so narrowed it down to either some weird electrical fault or something with the K Jet fuel injection system.

Almost as an afterthought, I thought “**** it, I’ll whack a bit of easy start in there and see what happens.”

As I was removing the K Jet pipe it just came straight off in my hand. It wasn’t done up tight and had partially popped off. (Indicated by red arrow in pic).

Tightened it all up, car fired straight away and is running sweet.

Disaster averted.
View attachment 610345
Result.
Looks really minty under there. It does help when fault finding.

Been trying to find a definition of what a classic car is. Most seem to be that it is 20 years old or more.

Which is all good because my daily driver is now officially a classic car. It spent this morning transporting surf boards and teenagers to the beach. This afternoon, it pulled a mate’s boat out of the water and carried wet dogs around for their walks. Last week it did nearly 1000 km of business miles, which clicked it over 470000. And here it is 300km up unsealed roads.

I haven’t a clue what all this maintenance malarchy is; Ken, my local back street garage sees it once a year for registration and a service. It isn’t shy of a visit to the petrol station.

It is, however, the dogs bollocks. Not those of the little ginger thing in the picture. He left his behind when the car was ten years old.

Attachments

• 28572A10-E72A-4F43-A13F-89E0E7340604.jpeg
    28572A10-E72A-4F43-A13F-89E0E7340604.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Result.
Looks really minty under there. It does help when fault finding.
Not my engine bay, just a pic I lifted off the internet because I can’t be arsed to go back out to the garage.

Mine’s really not bad at all though.