Classic car as a daily runner?

Truxx

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Googling the X19 (a car I've always fancied) found this...

"Styled By Gandini, Engineered By Lampredi, Priced For The Masses
Marcello Gandini and Aurelio Lampredi. Don't sound familiar? How about Lamborghini Miura, genesis of the modern supercar? Or Countach? Lancia Stratos? DeTomaso Pantera must be a ringing a bell. Yes, the creator of the modern supercar design and the iconic wedge shape, Marcello Gandini, penned all those models and so many more while working for Italian design studio and coach builder, Bertone, including the Fiat X1/9. The monocoque of the X1/9 was even built at Bertone's factory, right alongside cars like the Lamborghini Espada and Maserati Khamsin, then shipped to Fiat for final assembly."

Are you a hairdresser perchance?

Last edited:
And you might find yourself getting chased by Jaguar..

Bloke lives down the road is well into P6 Rovers, v/good spanner twiddler and even better tin basher. He knocked up a RR front for a P6 Estate, stainless and stuff. RR told him to get rid. I think it's still in his workshop.

endure

GCM
A

Are you a hairdresser perchance?
A car designed by the same man who designed the Miura and Stratos with an engine designed by the same man that designed racing V12s for Ferrari? Pass me the scissors duckie!

101025661-51157526r.jpg

In the early 90’s. My dad owned ( but sub let out) a garage at the bottom end of parliament st Ramsey iom.
they sold on loads of classic stuff owned by bored ( but usually painfully tight fisted ) tax exiles.
one of the cars that they did have in for sale that really surprised me was a replica ( kit I presume) porsche speedster.
I’ve built a few kits ( mostly mini based in my youth) and have seen how unconvincing many “ pastiches “ have been. But this porker nailed it, the glass shell was so solid that it tapped like steel, and the door shuts were very teutonically solid. The builder must have splashed out a bit on correct period badges and a part worn cream steering wheel, but it genuinely used to fool punters when Steve used to tell punters one car out of the six in the showroom was a replica and to tell him which one it was.
23k I think it was in 93,ish , plenty of cash then but a fraction of the real thing , and you would dare to use it.!

And a mile or two from the start of The Mountain road.

I'd thrash anything I could get the keys too on that particular bit of non speed limited road.....
Basically beetle suspension underneath though? Remember what happened to mr rebal without a cause when he cained it in one.!

964ST

LE
In the early 90’s. My dad owned ( but sub let out) a garage at the bottom end of parliament st Ramsey iom.
they sold on loads of classic stuff owned by bored ( but usually painfully tight fisted ) tax exiles.
one of the cars that they did have in for sale that really surprised me was a replica ( kit I presume) porsche speedster.
I’ve built a few kits ( mostly mini based in my youth) and have seen how unconvincing many “ pastiches “ have been. But this porker nailed it, the glass shell was so solid that it tapped like steel, and the door shuts were very teutonically solid. The builder must have splashed out a bit on correct period badges and a part worn cream steering wheel, but it genuinely used to fool punters when Steve used to tell punters one car out of the six in the showroom was a replica and to tell him which one it was.
23k I think it was in 93,ish , plenty of cash then but a fraction of the real thing , and you would dare to use it.!
I worked in a Porsche speciality emporium, where peeps would order a bespoke retro 964 for 350 thousand euros!! What was surprising was that the bloke who was paying for the „fleecing“ was not bothered when the the partner would wander through the showroom and fall in love with an original 956 speedster, yep stick it on the bill it is her present!

Just because you have money does not mean that you are smart! (Cars will only appreciate so much!! You have to be forward thinking!)

Truxx

LE
Buddy Holly walt.

Never thought I'd say it, but I'm warming slightly to the 914 with more "mature" eyes.
Need to be 6 pot though for the soundtrack if nowt else.
And red.

This is not a Porsche emporiom, but previous!

View attachment 608255
I worked in a VW garage for awhile and we sold a few of the 914s. Sold a few bits and bobs for them too as we had the microfiche which gave all the part numbers which would be accepted by the giant Chicago warehouse for VW parts. Porche 914s with the 4 banger were nothing special, but the ones with the 6 were super quick. In the end though, it just looked like a tarted up Beetle so Porche moved on.

Might be an option, I'd love this but would need to lose the rat look
Rover P5 with VW diesel conversion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211008-083038_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211008-083038_Facebook.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20211008-083033_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211008-083033_Facebook.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20211008-083030_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211008-083030_Facebook.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 30

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm taking my teenage MX5 shopping today as it's dry. Passed the MOT yesterday with no advisories.

Of course I'll need to remove all the hairdressing products from the boot to get the shopping in.

:p

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just removed the 53 year old fuel tank from my B and replaced it along with new fuel lines and, for the first time, an inline filter. The inside of the old tank was a sight to behold and the new tank got 9 coats of paint before I fitted it!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well I knew it would happen eventually. The Golf wouldn’t start yesterday morning. Not sure why, it’s been running perfectly and now won’t fire. It turns over fine and I can hear the fuel pump but it just won’t fire.

It’s getting a spark because sometimes it splutters to life for a second.

Will investigate properly this weekend.

In the meantime I had to revert to the backup option.
2BD3C56B-E3B1-4389-AC10-2A86829F6C31.jpeg
6A25BC4C-9D77-4D04-A593-96023EA38A43.jpeg
153C58F1-B67A-4E67-87BB-F4B2A9AFF5C1.jpeg

Latest Threads