BB086745-6994-4A76-96AE-1135BD3EFDC7.jpeg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had a 1600. Not quite so much of a hedge magnet.
I’ve never driven one but I hear the 1.6 was the purists car.

Marginally slower but more than made up for with the weight saving and the handling / braking improvements that came as a result.

First impressions Ravers?

And are you going to get some standard wheels on it ?

I put standard sized back on my mk2 gti and it was much better to drive .

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
First impressions Ravers?

And are you going to get some standard wheels on it ?

I put standard sized back on my mk2 gti and it was much better to drive .
First impressions are largely the same as when I picked it up.

Silly amounts of fun.

It’s by no means fast by modern standards but it’s still got more than enough to get yourself into trouble. The lack of power steering is actually really nice and gives a lot of feedback round the twisties. It’s just got the standard exhaust but it sounds glorious. I’m still surprised at the low end torque. I thought this car would be all about high revs and working the engine but it’s not like that at all.

Some things that will require getting used to…..

The throttle is very sensitive and snatchy in first gear making it a bit of a nightmare around town. I’ve inadvertently lit the front end up a couple of times while pulling away.

Brakes are awful. Apparently the norm with these as when they were adapted to right hand drive they had to bodgeneer the brakes. Easily improved though, by fitting the master cylinder and servo from a mk2 which will be my next job.

As always with old cars I now have a growing list of jobs to do to it:

Brakes as mentioned above.
New roof -old one is ok, but lets the car down as it’s a little tatty. I think a maroon coloured one would look great on this car.
Reupholster driver’s seat.
Small dent in bonnet to sort plus two little rust bubbles on a door and arch.
Onboard computer needs work, it currently thinks I’m averaging 4mpg and it’s -40°.
The inboard headlights aren’t wired up. It’s probably had a grill with single lights in the past. While I’m at it I’ll probably replace the lights and put relays in to make them a little brighter.

As for the wheels I really like these ATS cups and they’re not overly huge as to ruin the ride. I do have the original snowflake wheels but they’re very tatty.

Last edited:

Yarra

War Hero
I had a 1600. Not quite so much of a hedge magnet.
The car before the 205 was a Golf MK2 GTI (big bumper), which was a favourite. That replaced a MK2 Mini Cooper (unreliable in the rain, but hilarious). Then I grew up and started owning Alfas... far more sensible.

Yarra

War Hero
I was always a Triumph man, by choice. Could only afford a Spit when I was 17. Wanted a a TR (5 or 6). . Never got one. MG was always a bit Swiss Tony for me. Soz.

I had a GT6 ( can’t remember if I posted on here). Core plug went, clutch went, wheel fell off, overdrive very dodgy, carbs fell off and big end shells were shot. Loved it but I couldn’t keep up with the mither.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My 19 plate Golf GTD went back to the lease company on Thursday so the GTI is now officially my daily runner.

So far so good.

I’ve decided to treat it to a set of new Bilstein shocks all round to improve the ride a bit. It’s been lowered and the rear wheels rub the arches if I’ve got the sprogs in the back.

Something to do tomorrow.

Just slowly working through the list of jobs.

Added a couple of nice touches like a repro of the original 1980s dealer sticker and some fresh number plates in 1980s font.
061A276C-8EA9-47EC-AC8D-A42D784A8EF7.jpeg
AF8B9FB5-D2BF-414B-A512-935FC01CF304.jpeg

My 19 plate Golf GTD went back to the lease company on Thursday so the GTI is now officially my daily runner.

So far so good.

I’ve decided to treat it to a set of new Bilstein shocks all round to improve the ride a bit. It’s been lowered and the rear wheels rub the arches if I’ve got the sprogs in the back.

Something to do tomorrow.

Just slowly working through the list of jobs.

Added a couple of nice touches like a repro of the original 1980s dealer sticker and some fresh number plates in 1980s font. View attachment 606586View attachment 606585

Blimey, I remember the name Dovercourt!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These suspension bolts are going nowhere.

5553A82F-59F9-4118-93B8-12DBAA550F84.jpeg

On my mk2 I had to replace both front shocks which are inserts held inside the leg with a screw cap.
We had a 2 post lift at my work, a motorsport fabrication company so I was allowed stay after work. I did one side no problem, the cap came off fine , however the other side it was stuck fast so cut it off .
Didn't put a replacement cap on the box though dud they? My boss was furious the next morning as we had prodigious visitors coming around and there is a 10 year old golf hanging about in bits.
Sorted by covering with multiple dust sheets , as other things were for client confidenceality

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
New shocks are on and it’s a massive improvement. Ride and handling are great now. The old shocks were completely dead. When I compressed them they didn’t return at all.

The cabrio was always slated for having poor handling compared to the tin top. To be expected given that it weighs nearly 200kg more.

The later ones like mine had a bottom strut brace which vastly improved things. By all accounts big gains can be made with a cheap top strut brace too.

I’ve never driven a tin top but if this is “poor” in comparison then they must be fantastic.

Maybe I’m just used to driving the Landy.

Latest Threads