Classic car as a daily runner?

This guy really knows how to wrench. At the National De Soto Convention this guy fielded a 1948 De Soto with the heart of a 2014 Dodge Charger (5.7 L Hemi) with computer. The body is hung on a modern frame with all the modern handling tweaks.

1948 De Soto Resize.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -2.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -4.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -4.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -6.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -7a.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -8.jpg
1948 De Soto with 2014 5_7L Hemi -9.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This guy really knows how to wrench. At the National De Soto Convention this guy fielded a 1948 De Soto with the heart of a 2014 Dodge Charger (5.7 L Hemi) with computer. The body is hung on a modern frame with all the modern handling tweaks.

View attachment 594592View attachment 594593View attachment 594594View attachment 594594View attachment 594595View attachment 594596View attachment 594597View attachment 594598
It was all going well until we got to the interior.

Should’ve kept it original, save for maybe some updated clocks or something.

I’m all for making an old car faster and more reliable, but a big part of the charm of old cars is the old style interior, the smell, the experience.

Might as well just drive a Chrysler PT Cruiser otherwise.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

I’m all for making an old car faster and more reliable, but a big part of the charm of old cars is the old style interior, the smell, the experience.

Totally agree mate, the interior should have been left alone IMO also.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I saw this advertised recently. Definitely something I approve of although perhaps a little on the pricey side. I think it was originally advertised at 800 grand which is silly money for a replica, even if it is made out of real Ferrari parts.

Widened 250 GTO body on a 400i chassis with 575 running gear.

I’ve driven a 575 and it’s a phenomenal car. Definitely a worthy successor to the 250.

The pmt cruiser?
Aka the mid life Chrysler?
The ragtop has to be one of the ugliest cars ever.

Truxx

LE

View attachment 594592View attachment 594593View attachment 594594View attachment 594594View attachment 594595View attachment 594596View attachment 594597View attachment 594598
Fun fact #458.

DeSoto were part of the Chrysler Corporation and for many years shared the same legendary flathead 6 cylinder engine that powered many cars and trucks including Dodge.

One particular version made up of 6 engines on a single crankcase powered one version of the Sherman Tank.

The same engine also gave birth to the hemispherical combustion chamber. We now refer to the design as the "hemi"

I drove one once, that horrid 2.0 lump and a 4 speed sludgebox.
Terrible thing, and never in the right gear.
Cruiser? No. Definitely not a 120kmh all day candidate

Think it was the same stinking 4 pot as fitted to that mobile afterbirth the Neon.
Had a rental Neon years back. It was pretty nippy in a straight line tbh...it just went Pete Tong everywhere else
And 2 bits actually fell off. The steering tilt adjuster, and window buttons. Utter Airfixy shit.
Might be wrong, but I'm sure a small bore version went into 1st gen BMW Minis

Think it was the same stinking 4 pot as fitted to that mobile afterbirth the Neon.
Had a rental Neon years back. It was pretty nippy in a straight line tbh...it just went Pete Tong everywhere else
And 2 bits actually fell off. The steering tilt adjuster, and window buttons. Utter Airfixy shit.
Might be wrong, but I'm sure a small bore version went into 1st gen BMW Minis
A few years back, was looking for a new car, as was my dad, and the Neon, on paper, looked very good.
Went to showroom, organised a test drive, went about 3 miles up the motorway, said "no thanks", and back to showroom.
Hideous 3 SPD auto, gutless on the flat, full spec interior but felt plasticy and easily breakable, and the stance looked like it had just been goosed!
They did an RT version. With stripes and spoiler and tuned up engine, but it was pure turd polishing.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A few years back, was looking for a new car, as was my dad, and the Neon, on paper, looked very good.
Went to showroom, organised a test drive, went about 3 miles up the motorway, said "no thanks", and back to showroom.
Hideous 3 SPD auto, gutless on the flat, full spec interior but felt plasticy and easily breakable, and the stance looked like it had just been goosed!
They did an RT version. With stripes and spoiler and tuned up engine, but it was pure turd polishing.
When I was in Singapore a few years back there was an entire cargo ship’s worth of Neon’s dumped in Sembawang dockyard.

Some customs issue meant they’d been impounded and just left to rot for years. About 1000 brand new cars just dumped and baking in the sun. Melted dashboards, faded paintwork, cracked tyres etc.

Funnily enough pretty much every single person in the dockyard was driving one.

We used to come back off the piss and run across the roofs of them.

I wonder what happened to them?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
When I was in Singapore a few years back there was an entire cargo ship’s worth of Neon’s dumped in Sembawang dockyard.

Some customs issue meant they’d been impounded and just left to rot for years. About 1000 brand new cars just dumped and baking in the sun. Melted dashboards, faded paintwork, cracked tyres etc.

Funnily enough pretty much every single person in the dockyard was driving one.

We used to come back off the piss and run across the roofs of them.

I wonder what happened to them?
Re cycled into Chrysler PT 45’s, hideous things.

Fun fact #458.

DeSoto were part of the Chrysler Corporation and for many years shared the same legendary flathead 6 cylinder engine that powered many cars and trucks including Dodge.

One particular version made up of 6 engines on a single crankcase powered one version of the Sherman Tank.

The same engine also gave birth to the hemispherical combustion chamber. We now refer to the design as the "hemi"
Yes, I know. That was the A57 Chrysler Multibank engine, but it was made up of only 5 flathead six cylinder engines, not 6.

De Soto lasted as a brand under the Chrysler banner from 1928 to 1961 when it was dropped because the market niche that it was meant to sell in had disappeared.
Chrysler_multibank A57.jpg
chrysler-a57-multibank-installation.jpg

Truxx

LE
Yes, I know. That was the A57 Chrysler Multibank engine, but it was made up of only 5 flathead six cylinder engines, not 6.

De Soto lasted as a brand under the Chrysler banner from 1928 to 1961 when it was dropped because the market niche that it was meant to sell in had disappeared.
View attachment 594729View attachment 594730
You are course course spot on, I was having a brain fart maths wise. 5 banks not 6, 30 cylinders, not 36. Plus 5 distributors and 5 carburettors.

On the face of it an abortion, but Brit tank crews apparently quite liked them they were easy to look after, ran well and did not require the pre-start hand cranking that the radials needed. You could probably not tip petrol down a drain faster though.

You would have thought that they would have ditched it as a concept as soon as something else came along (like the GAA) but ooooo no.

There is a website out there somewhere that lists the production output of the larger US industrial concerns in WW2. I was astonished to see that they made over 44000, yes 44 thousand, multi banks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You are course course spot on, I was having a brain fart maths wise. 5 banks not 6, 30 cylinders, not 36. Plus 5 distributors and 5 carburettors.

On the face of it an abortion, but Brit tank crews apparently quite liked them they were easy to look after, ran well and did not require the pre-start hand cranking that the radials needed. You could probably not tip petrol down a drain faster though.

You would have thought that they would have ditched it as a concept as soon as something else came along (like the GAA) but ooooo no.

There is a website out there somewhere that lists the production output of the larger US industrial concerns in WW2. I was astonished to see that they made over 44000, yes 44 thousand, multi banks.
Totally off thread but I was listening to my FiL’s war memoirs the other day.

He was the technical adjutant for the East Riding Yeomanry on D Day, putting some of the first tanks ashore.

He talks about starting D Day with Shermans that had some sort of marine engine, these were very much preferred and vastly superior.

Not long after D Day, all his tanks were replaced with Shermans that had WW1 era radial engines. These were shite by all accounts and because of the large amounts of air required to cool them, the crew was always freezing cold.

Interesting listening.

Anyway back on thread, how’s your MG coming along?

Truxx

LE
Totally off thread but I was listening to my FiL’s war memoirs the other day.

He was the technical adjutant for the East Riding Yeomanry on D Day, putting some of the first tanks ashore.

He talks about starting D Day with Shermans that had some sort of marine engine, these were very much preferred and vastly superior.

Not long after D Day, all his tanks were replaced with Shermans that had WW1 era radial engines. These were shite by all accounts and because of the large amounts of air required to cool them, the crew was always freezing cold.

Interesting listening.

Anyway back on thread, how’s your MG coming along?
Still waiting for Debs to blast all the bits. Chassis welding done, engine built etc etc. Sadly spare time is in short supply and the workshop even more jam packed than usual.

As for the DD tanks

Latest Threads