Classic car as a daily runner?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bit of a drift here, but can anyone identify this car? Been rewatching Downton and it‘s one of the fleet.
Got any pics of the rest of it?

Hood ornaments weren’t necessarily specific to certain makes and models with the exception of a few like Rolls Royce.

People often put their own thing on the cars. I’ve got a few interesting ones that definitely aren’t pedestrian friendly.

Edit:

Just googled it. It’s a Sunbeam.

Got any pics of the rest of it?

Hood ornaments weren’t necessarily specific to certain makes and models with the exception of a few like Rolls Royce.

People often put their own thing on the cars. I’ve got a few interesting ones that definitely aren’t pedestrian friendly.

Edit:

Just googled it. It’s a Sunbeam.
Thanks. I noticed the “individual” approach taken by some when I was trying to find the marque.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bump.

The Golf is taking a little longer than expected. The old engine was completely goosed and ready for the bin. It could’ve been rebuilt but not to the standard I wanted. It appears to have been rebuilt in the past by a rank amateur and nothing was correctly torqued up, some serious wear in places showing signs of previous oil starvation.

Luckily parts for these are dirt cheap.

I had the option of putting something silly in, a mate is currently selling a tuned 20v Turbo engine that’s pushing out around 250hp but I want to keep this car as original as possible (save for the wheels).

Found a replacement 1.8 DX engine with less than 100k miles on it for 150 quid delivered.

My guy has completely rebuilt it and it’s as close to a brand new mk1 Golf GTI engine as you can get. New bearings, new seals, new gaskets all round. Availability of parts has been a bit of a nightmare with massively long delivery times, a combination of the “pingdemic”, BREXIT and just general COVID shitness.

However the engine is back in now and we’re just waiting for one or two bits to finish it off mechanically. It will be driveable next week.

I want to enjoy this car while we still have some summer left, so I’m holding off on the cosmetic bits for now (a tatty roof, ripped driver’s seat, penny sized rust bubble on one wheel arch and the driver’s door, and maybe the alloys could do with a refurb if we’re being really picky.)

Can’t wait to drive it again.
6F6BB5E4-D4F8-48F7-8702-8A26D28C83FD.jpeg
38F3F6D8-3FA6-4D2D-9FA2-C90F18146B36.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oh and that Mk2 in the background is running a VR6 lump with over 300bhp!

964ST

LE
Oh and that Mk2 in the background is running a VR6 lump with over 300bhp!
My old boss used to buy VW Golf 1/2 Original and modified. The modified never made big money, despite being a “Weapon!”. Too much DNA lost, and you do not know how good the “work that was done!” Despite accompanying paperwork!

+ Golf 1 cab is not the stiffest chassis in the village! :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of my previous...name that car?
View attachment 594539
Toyota Celica Liftback.

My dad had one in gold but with the later square headlights.

It was the top spec GT version with the 2.0 engine that was basically a nut and bolt copy of the Cosworth twin cam.

He worked for Toyota at the time and was able to get cheap parts for it.

I loved that car.

Ooh I like that.

Like an MG Midget but massively improved.

Can’t put my finger on it but the front end looks a bit Italian. 1960s Ferrariesque grill and bonnet scoop.

Edit: Front end looks a bit like a Lancia Flaminia Zagato.View attachment 594547

petrolicious.com/articles/this-datsun-roadster-has-a-new-heart-and-quite-a-few-stories-to-tell

I guess I can always take heart in sharing similar Unobtainium PanaSport alloys......:rolleyes:

Bump.

The Golf is taking a little longer than expected. The old engine was completely goosed and ready for the bin. It could’ve been rebuilt but not to the standard I wanted. It appears to have been rebuilt in the past by a rank amateur and nothing was correctly torqued up, some serious wear in places showing signs of previous oil starvation.

Luckily parts for these are dirt cheap.

I had the option of putting something silly in, a mate is currently selling a tuned 20v Turbo engine that’s pushing out around 250hp but I want to keep this car as original as possible (save for the wheels).

Found a replacement 1.8 DX engine with less than 100k miles on it for 150 quid delivered.

My guy has completely rebuilt it and it’s as close to a brand new mk1 Golf GTI engine as you can get. New bearings, new seals, new gaskets all round. Availability of parts has been a bit of a nightmare with massively long delivery times, a combination of the “pingdemic”, BREXIT and just general COVID shitness.

However the engine is back in now and we’re just waiting for one or two bits to finish it off mechanically. It will be driveable next week.

I want to enjoy this car while we still have some summer left, so I’m holding off on the cosmetic bits for now (a tatty roof, ripped driver’s seat, penny sized rust bubble on one wheel arch and the driver’s door, and maybe the alloys could do with a refurb if we’re being really picky.)

Can’t wait to drive it again.
View attachment 594529View attachment 594530

Ravers - these 2 lads (who are good) are restoring/recommissioning a motor like yours.
There are 5 videos on it so far. You may find something useful. Apparently there are 2 fuel pumps that get blocked and cause trouble. I had no idea. One on the back axle & one under the rear seat.

Last edited: