Classic car as a daily runner?

I'm not a GTI expert by any means...but....should the grill not be trimmed in red around the edge?
Seems par for 1988....but happy to be wrong.

Despite being neither being a golf fan or hair dresser....

IIRC the ragtop GTI never had red trim on the grill ?

Not pristine by any means but pretty unfucked with and unmodified save for some pretty tasteful period alloys.

They've all been thrashed, crashed & fucked about with, hence -

wonky bonnet, wonky bumper & wonky chin spoiler off the tin top model, front end coloured up, clear indicators, modern number plate....

however parked under cover its unlikely to either rot away, deprecate or cost much to keep on the road ?

colinmc400

Old-Salt
2-Person-Pre-pitched-Tents-in-a-Row-at-Edinburgh-Festival-and-Fringe-Camping.jpg
One assumes you are suggesting its more camp than a row of pink tents?

I seem to remember that Edd China freshened one up for Mike Brewer on Wheeler - Dealers. I don't remember what he got for it when he sold it on, but I thought it was a packet for a VW Golf.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I seem to remember that Edd China freshened one up for Mike Brewer on Wheeler - Dealers. I don't remember what he got for it when he sold it on, but I thought it was a packet for a VW Golf.
This one was a bargain.

There are virtual scrap ones on eBay and various other sites for double what I paid for this.

Previous owner was a squaddie too. Ex Blues and Royals.

The only things that really let it down are the roof (500ish quid for a replacement), two very small rust bubbles on one door and a ripped drivers seat.

I reckon 1500 quid chucked at it and it’ll be mint.

First things first it’s going off to the garage for a major service, belts etc. just for piece of mind.

I know it's not a "classic", but the recent difficulties in going down the boozer means I've got some spare loot lying around. The other day a Tuk Tuk went by. I've fancied one for a long time, so had a squint at evil bay. There's a firm in Altrincham importing them. They do 2 or 4 stroke versions, the 4 stroker will excede 43 MPH! I may look further into this, shits and giggles. Anyone out there had any experience?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know it's not a "classic", but the recent difficulties in going down the boozer means I've got some spare loot lying around. The other day a Tuk Tuk went by. I've fancied one for a long time, so had a squint at evil bay. There's a firm in Altrincham importing them. They do 2 or 4 stroke versions, the 4 stroker will excede 43 MPH! I may look further into this, shits and giggles. Anyone out there had any experience?
I’ve spent a fair bit of time in the back of them in India.

They’re quite fun but very slow and rough. I think the Indian ones were all 2 strokes. We managed to put more than one of them on its roof.

When we got to Thailand they were a completely different kettle of fish. Fast as **** and capable of pulling wheelies. Much wider rear axle with better handling and the ability to drift.

Get a Thai one.

Also worth looking at Piaggio Apes. Similar sort of thing, often seen in town centres converted into mobile coffee shops.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

endure

GCM
I’ve spent a fair bit of time in the back of them in India.

They’re quite fun but very slow and rough. I think the Indian ones were all 2 strokes. We managed to put more than one of them on its roof.

When we got to Thailand they were a completely different kettle of fish. Fast as **** and capable of pulling wheelies. Much wider rear axle with better handling and the ability to drift.

Get a Thai one.

Also worth looking at Piaggio Apes. Similar sort of thing, often seen in town centres converted into mobile coffee shops.
The Thai ones (in Thailand rather than any imports) all use LPG rather than petrol.

LARD

LE
Bloke in our village has one. I think he's had it a few years now. Used it to deliver groceries etc to the old folk during COVID. He also has a disabled son and uses it to take him and his chair to the pub. It's a 4-stroker.

The Thai ones (in Thailand rather than any imports) all use LPG rather than petrol.
Looking through t'interweb thingy, they're available here in petrol, LPG and electrical. Prefer petrol, could put up with LPG, but sod the electrical jobby.

Found a place not far up the road sells 'em, so I popped up there. Well, he would sell 'em. He can't get hold of 'em. According to him, amongst other things, the Italian customs won't release them without VAT being paid. Hey ho. I'll hang on for a bit, see what transpires, I don't really want to buy second hand, it would make me feel poor, like BB.

SWJ99

War Hero
I once made a grand on a Mark 2 GTi in a week simply by un-lowering it, putting a standard back box back on it and standard lights. Then made another couple of hundred flogging off the bling
About 15 years ago, I bought a high mileage BMW 525e for £200. It was pretty straight and clean, and the engine was still good, but someone had put a set of Imola 17 inch alloys on it, which looked a bit out of place on an 80s car, and they were too big. The tyres were borderline legal and would have cost about £100 a corner to replace. I went to the local scrappy, got a set of standard 14 inch steel wheels off a 520i, and the plastic trims to go with them, paid £60, then flogged the alloys for about £125. Then I sold the original BMW alloy spare wheel for another £40, (metric size and quite sought after). I kept the car for around 3 years and in all that time, the only thing I had to do was a bit of paintwork on a rear wing that someone had bodged, so I reckon I had my money's worth out of it.

I'm not a GTI expert by any means...but....should the grill not be trimmed in red around the edge?
Seems par for 1988....but happy to be wrong.
I had an X reg 8v and then 16v H reg about 30 years ago and both had red grille trim. There was a Golf Driver which looked like a Gti but with a 1.4L engine

endure

GCM
I had an X reg 8v and then 16v H reg about 30 years ago and both had red grille trim. There was a Golf Driver which looked like a Gti but with a 1.4L engine
There was also a GL which had the 1.8L engine but with a carburettor instead of injection.

Saddo me would quite like to see what the engine looks like. I've had a mk2 gtis and have a knowledge of mk1s but not cabriolet.
They changed the injection on mk2s around E to F plate from k-jetronic to digifant so intrigued as to what thus would have. K-jet has a metering unit and lots of fuel pipes and digifant has a ice hockey puck like breather coming out if the cam case.

Latest Threads