Classic car as a daily runner?

I had a grand voyager in Canada, it was absolutely fine.

jmb3296

War Hero
I had a grand voyager in Canada, it was absolutely fine.
I had one briefly in the uk. Long haul on the motorway, lovely drive, pleasant to be in. Around town and on smaller roads, I couldn’t wait to get shot of it quick enough, it wallowed everywhere.
I didn’t think it well set up for uk roads other than motorways.

colinmc400

Clanker
I had one briefly in the uk. Long haul on the motorway, lovely drive, pleasant to be in. Around town and on smaller roads, I couldn’t wait to get shot of it quick enough, it wallowed everywhere.
I didn’t think it well set up for uk roads other than motorways.
Yep my point exactly. I spent a week in one, up and down from Basingstoke to Southampton. Full of gear on the way down was bearable. Empty coming back, it was terrible.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bump.

Budget now pretty much finalised at 10k.

Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet still top of the list and ticking most of my boxes.
Porsche 944 also in the running but back seats look completely unusable. Might have to see one to make sure.
Scirocco... Maybe, would prefer a Golf.
E46 Alpina B3 has also recently cropped up on my radar but hard to find a nice one within budget, although high mileage ones are out there.
E30 beemer convertible.

Stuff that has also crossed my mind:

Mk2 Golf GTI. Not as cool as the Mk1.
Fiat Coupe. Cool but unreliable shite and a bit chavvy.
VW Corrado. I just don’t really like them for some reason.
Alfa GTV V6 (late 90s / early 00s) could be a contender. Again need to check on useabilty of back seats.
Jag XK8..... A bit middle aged golfer for me.
Clio 182... hard to find an unragged one and a little bit too 19 year old boy racer.

Bump.

Porsche 944 also in the running but back seats look completely unusable. Might have to see one to make sure.
E46 Alpina B3 has also recently cropped up on my radar but hard to find a nice one within budget, although high mileage ones are out there.
E30 beemer convertible.

Alfa GTV V6 (late 90s / early 00s) could be a contender. Again need to check on useabilty of back seats.
Clio 182... hard to find an unragged one and a little bit too 19 year old boy racer.
Alpina yes.
E 30 convertible No.
944 unless you want to be reminded that everytime you open the door you are using a VW polo doorhandle and getting into a very slow porsche then no.
Alpina yep.
Or the mark one rabbit.
Late mark 2 16 valve gti were a very lively car if you want to kill yourself. The mark one is the one to go for.

colinmc400

Clanker
I had one of the first Mk 4 Golf GTI's in 1998, as a Company car. i have no idea how it came about, but it turned up on the back of a delivery truck and i spotted the small red "I" on the hatch door, as in GTi. Turns out that was the turbo one and pretty sure my boss had no idea what he had bought me. It was never a Mk 1, having come over all flabby etc, but after 100k miles in 3 years, that car put lots of smiles on my face and was a great mile muncher as well and udderly reliable as a daily.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
I haven't read the full thread but a Vauxhall Viva HC is the vehicle you need.

Get a Firenza version instead if you can find one (which you probably won't be able to)
2819561.jpg

964ST

War Hero
Bump.

E30 beemer convertible.

Mk1 Golf GLi Cab, is a fairly good practical car that does not offend many people ( I had one 2 years ago and you get a lot of positive feedback), just make sure it is NOT! An automatic „worst gearbox this side of a Smart Four2“ and watch out for rust at the bottom of the „A“ pillar (not terminal but pretty much BER!).
Scirocco, my first car. MK1 tartan seats, but even when I was young (BC= Before Corona) taught me a lot about mechanics and in the early 80,s The car was already terminally suffering from car cancer RUST.
I currently own an e46 330Ci and as much as I appreciate the car it can be troublesome, and much like a better half needs tolerance (Alpina has the same Krankheit even though it is a manufacturer in its own right!)“
Porsche 944, yep if you can find a turbo that is not totally been neglected! RARE

e30 two door up and coming classic (convertible is not necessary), bought a 320i for 550 euros sold for over 2000 euros two years later (even I named it „The Dog“!).

Alfa, Fiat worth buying as a life learning experience, in how to empty your wallet (But stylish cars!).

Have you thought VW Beetle?

Bump.

E30 beemer convertible.

Of all of them, I think the Mk1 Golf GTI is the best choice. Should be reliable ish, easyish to fix when it does break, fairly practical if something unexpected happens and you need to use it...and it's cool.

If you keep it in good nick it will probably appreciate in value eventually as well.

Clean looking one here - just over 10K:

LINK TO AUTOTRADER

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mk1 Golf GLi Cab, is a fairly good practical car that does not offend many people ( I had one 2 years ago and you get a lot of positive feedback), just make sure it is NOT! An automatic „worst gearbox this side of a Smart Four2“ and watch out for rust at the bottom of the „A“ pillar (not terminal but pretty much BER!).
Scirocco, my first car. MK1 tartan seats, but even when I was young (BC= Before Corona) taught me a lot about mechanics and in the early 80,s The car was already terminally suffering from car cancer RUST.
I currently own an e46 330Ci and as much as I appreciate the car it can be troublesome, and much like a better half needs tolerance (Alpina has the same Krankheit even though it is a manufacturer in its own right!)“
Porsche 944, yep if you can find a turbo that is not totally been neglected! RARE

e30 two door up and coming classic (convertible is not necessary), bought a 320i for 550 euros sold for over 2000 euros two years later (even I named it „The Dog“!).

Alfa, Fiat worth buying as a life learning experience, in how to empty your wallet (But stylish cars!).

Have you thought VW Beetle?

Interesting shout on the E46. I’d always been led to believe these were pretty much perfection in BMW terms.

New enough to iron out all the reliability issues of older cars, but produced before everything became electronic and disposable.

Given that my budget only really stretches to a higher mileage Alpina, I might have to rethink that one.

Golf is still standing out as number 1. I was considering an auto just because the missus is a truly terrible driver and it gives her one less thing to worry about, but if they’re really that bad then I’ll definitely go for a manual.

Beetle?

GTFO.

964ST

War Hero
Funny thing about a Beetle is the parts are cheap as chips and upgrades are readily available, so you can take a “Car for the People” and turn it into an Abomanation!

1616146070484.jpeg

A Golf 1, is a wise choice. Parts are cheap (HoffmannSpeedster.com) and they are easy to work on.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Of all of them, I think the Mk1 Golf GTI is the best choice. Should be reliable ish, easyish to fix when it does break, fairly practical if something unexpected happens and you need to use it...and it's cool.

If you keep it in good nick it will probably appreciate in value eventually as well.

Clean looking one here - just over 10K:

LINK TO AUTOTRADER
Yep.

That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking at.

Black with tartan interior is probably my ideal colour combination, but I’m not overly bothered. Getting a clean and unfucked one is the priority.

Way too many with Halfords body kits, lowered suspension, stupid alloys etc.

964ST

War Hero
I was lucky with my Golf 1, it was uncorrupted!
Even had a “Spucknapflenkrad” (3 Spoke original steering wheel) and “Le CASTELLET” Wheels And was Dark Blue with Black roof. And really comfy leather interior. Very period.

But Honestly get a Manual Gearbag!!!!!!!!!!

Yep.

Black with tartan interior is probably my ideal colour combination, but I’m not overly bothered. Getting a clean and unfucked one is the priority.

I would question the wisdom of a cabriolet in the Cumbrian winters though.

My dad has a series 2 (possibly 3) Land Rover, just to the west of Kendal that I could probably convince him to flog you...

964ST

War Hero

My dad has a series 2 (possibly 3) Land Rover, just to the west of Kendal that I could probably convince him to flog you...
If Britain was still in Europe then Statistically it would have the highest number of cars registered as Cabriolets. Brits like to get the sun on there Barnets at every possible opportunity! Peeps in Warmer/sunnier climates do the Siesta! And actively hide from the Cancer Giver (unless you are an Ex-Pat:))

Yep.

Once upon a time you used to be able to make a decent slice buyin boy racer Golf's and de-blinging them
People would pay a lot more for one in original form.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Only reason I’m looking at a cab is because they’re about a third cheaper than the equivalent hardtop.

They have heaters, I’ll live.

Already got an old Landy.

F44D8BD8-ECBD-4A36-BA92-07B98B14AF18.jpeg

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're going ragtop then how about a Saab 99/900/9-3?
Comfy chairs and plenty of space in the back.
Viggen models are very quick.

I'm up for this one with the optional accessory alongside :D
1616150396574.png

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Once upon a time you used to be able to make a decent slice buyin boy racer Golf's and de-blinging them
People would pay a lot more for one in original form.

Yep. The 90s and early 00s was an especially low point for cars, what with the likes of Max Power and Fast Car magazine.

You couldn’t buy a decent hatchback or coupe that hadn’t been ruined by some council estate dwelling amateur mechanic.

I spent a lot of money, time and effort putting my Ferrari back to factory spec after the previous owner decided it was better with massive alloys, a rude boy exhaust and colour coded trim that wasn’t supposed to be colour coded.

Thankfully this sort of behaviour seems to have been confined to the history books and it’s pretty rare to see modified shit boxes now.
BA17FC3C-A27A-453C-A177-856E0BDF86C4.jpeg
72BDBFA3-B4E0-4106-8479-83C39A822EEC.jpeg
43C6D087-EA56-400E-B401-621E9FA329C5.jpeg
4AFA14D9-1FBC-4B37-9C3A-1F82B0373015.jpeg

Chef

LE
If Britain was still in Europe then Statistically it would have the highest number of cars registered as Cabriolets. Brits like to get the sun on there Barnets at every possible opportunity! Peeps in Warmer/sunnier climates do the Siesta! And actively hide from the Cancer Giver (unless you are an Ex-Pat:))
Also I believe that air con doesn't work so well in a soft top. Which makes a difference if you know the summer months are going to be v hot.

Latest Threads