Classic car as a daily runner?

How about a mid nineties Mercedes W124 coupe, or VW Corrado ?
About 15 years ago I had a Mondeo ST220, which is one of the best cars I have ever had, did everything brilliantly and must be a future classic.

Maybe the right place for this is here ....
1614808169470.png

Last edited:
@Ravers , two excellent cars on ebay at the moment to gain a view of whats available .

Mk2 Scirroco with bids around 2.5k , looks great .

Corrado 1.8 16v H plate 5k , has been completely overhauled.

wheel

LE
My dad always wanted a Vauxhall Calibra back in the day, I guess they'll come under "classic" now as well. Personally although I like proper classic cars, I've no interest in the common 90's cars that are now collectors items, mainly among former boy racers in their late 30's and 40's who are getting all nostalgic about doing burnouts to impress girls in their tarted up XR3s and GT-R Skylines and reading Max Power magazine. I'd have loved one if I could have afforded it back in '99 when I passed my test but now I think the interiors look and feel cheap and are missing the comforts and features of modern cars.

That being said I dislike most modern cars as well, characterless eco boxes that appeal to people who wear loafers with no socks and read The Guardian or fake 4x4's for mums on the school run, and boring gun metal grey saloons for overweight managers and sales reps to have as company cars. My compromise is a two year old three door 2.0 ltr Seat Leon FR in black with a mean looking set of alloys and factory fitted spoiler, it stands out in terms of style, is a lot of fun to drive due to being ******* rapid, and has all the modern features.
Oi less of the overweight if you please. This costs me nowt to run so more than happy with it.(stock image but same as mine)
1615147021233.png

Oi less of the overweight if you please. This costs me nowt to run so more than happy with it.(stock image but same as mine)
View attachment 555300

Is that the superb or octavia? I had a diesel superb, thought it a very good car, wish i’d gone for the V6 though.

wheel

LE
Is that the superb or octavia? I had a diesel superb, thought it a very good car, wish i’d gone for the V6 though.
It the Superb. Very nice car to drive has all the bells and whistles , eats up the motorway miles. Our own car is Golf GTD now that is much more fun

It the Superb. Very nice car to drive has all the bells and whistles , eats up the motorway miles. Our own car is Golf GTD now that is much more fun
ex had a Golf TDi as a company car a few years back. I have a TDi powered SEAT - it genuinely is a superb engine.

When did this turn in to the shopping trolley thread....?
And we return to the Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharan.
Older (pre 2007) Galaxy’s had removable seats. Goes from 7 seater to van in minutes. And the big petrol engines are great. The 2.8 Ford has lots of power and has all the extras you need eg the Galaxy had the windscreen de-icer thing.
Get one with a manual gearbox and it will always surprise the boy racers.

Older (pre 2007) Galaxy’s had removable seats. Goes from 7 seater to van in minutes. And the big petrol engines are great. The 2.8 Ford has lots of power and has all the extras you need eg the Galaxy had the windscreen de-icer thing.
Had a 97 (I think) Galaxy 2.3 petrol. Not great MPG, drove like a van, boot space was crap with all 7 seats in. Seats were heavy to remove and took up too much space when not in the car.

Just my opinion.

Had a 97 (I think) Galaxy 2.3 petrol. Not great MPG, drove like a van, boot space was crap with all 7 seats in. Seats were heavy to remove and took up too much space when not in the car.

Just my opinion.
I had the space to take the seats out and ignore them. As a bus the luggage space was rubbish, but you can’t have everything.
OK, it was no Ferrari, bit the ones I had drove a lot better than vans.

colinmc400

Clanker
We tried to talk my old boss into getting one of those, but he insisted on getting a Chrysler Grand Voyager instead. Never has there been a more woeful piece of automotive shite known to man. Unless it was loaded down with peeps or bags of cement, it was zero to seasick in 5mins, it rolled and wallowed so much. Hideous thing!