Classic car as a daily runner?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Fulfil your inner Bodie:

Granada.JPG

BAOR wheels c. 1987 a classic now surely?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice car but I always felt a bit underwhelmed and not really much get up and go to them.
Ah, but for eating up the kms on the A2 it was excellent - this was an auto 2.3, lovely car.

Ah, but for eating up the kms on the A2 it was excellent - this was an auto 2.3, lovely car.

Mate had a 2.3 Ghia Cortina with a manual box, now that was a nippy little motor. Mk4 I think
I think I was spoilt when I tried a Granada as I'd already had a V8 manual SD1 and the Granada couldn't keep up

Mate had a 2.3 Ghia Cortina with a manual box, now that was a nippy little motor. Mk4 I think
I think I was spoilt when I tried a Granada as I'd already had a V8 manual SD1 and the Granada couldn't keep up
I did Nottingham to Bournemouth in 2.30 hrs in that Courtina. Long ago now. ‘Twas my old Mans. This was before the M40 or Silverston bypas. Car died about 2 weeks later, gear box fell off the engine.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
To be honest, I still haven’t strayed too far from the original list of suggestions.

I reckon the 80s offers the best compromise between style / coolness and reliability / practicality.

Also German is probably sensible.

E30 Beemer.
Mk1 Golf.
1980s Merc.
Porsche 944.
Scirocco.

My Golf lease is up in September so still got a while to decide.
So the full on Mr. Teasy Weasy Salon experience then?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Try it with a couple of tons of armour on it!

A E30 would be great , problems are finding one thats not been chavved up or had the original engine junked and something else put in . You will get one below 12k

Golf mk1 ? A good gti will probably be hard to find under 12k , you will have more luck with a convertable if that appeals .

A Merc ? TBH i would find them boring but i suppose if you get a bigger engined one it will go ok . I don't think you will find a decent cosworth for that money .

Personally i would consider a 205gti , you can get one of the best for less than 12k . Or a Corrado .

It all depends if you want more of a cruiser and mile muncher or something more frantic i suppose .

It may have been mentioned before, but what about an Audi Coupe with the 5 cylinder engine. Good looking car and nice engine note.

RP