Classic car as a daily runner?

I would apologise, but your job did not exist when we were doing it we saw it happen. Back then the M6 was cones, cones, cones, oh, and then some more cones, and the M25 was only partially completed.

I wonder if anyone ever actually phoned the cones hotline.
A John Major folly, I believe.
I’ve still no idea what is was meant to be for.

I wonder if anyone ever actually phoned the cones hotline.
A John Major folly, I believe.
I’ve still no idea what is was meant to be for.
It was like dialling 999, but used just the first two digits ;)

I would apologise, but your job did not exist when we were doing it we saw it happen. Back then the M6 was cones, cones, cones, oh, and then some more cones, and the M25 was only partially completed.
I remember the M25 finally getting completed, I'd only been in Aldershot a matter of months, still a fresh faced baby monkey. ;)

Kit cars are always worth a look at, ebay is a good place to start. Over the last 10 years I've dabbled and had a lot of fun and used any that I have owned as a daily runabout. I did at one time have a road legal beach buggy type thing, the wife hated it which was a bonus.

Is it still possible to get hold of Ford Capris?

colinmc400

Clanker
It was the 2nd or 3rd date with my now wife of 26 years and she picked me up in one of these, a silver Capri 3.0S. It was an auto, but she still needed both hands to get it into gear and it quaffed fuel like Concord on afterburners. Twas a real mans car!!

Kit cars are always worth a look at, ebay is a good place to start. Over the last 10 years I've dabbled and had a lot of fun and used any that I have owned as a daily runabout. I did at one time have a road legal beach buggy type thing, the wife hated it which was a bonus.

In the UK I nearly bought an unbuilt KVA GT40, but the seller was being a nigel’ish twat so I walked away.

I looked at building a Cobra over here a few years ago, wanted to have a project for me and the lad. i’m 6’1”, not a racing snake anymore, but not phat. I went and tried several cars for size as I heard they were tight, that included kit cars, an Autokraft Mk4, and I managed to blag a sit in a real old racing Cobra valued at $6million. I needed a shoehorn to get in and out, like being in a coffin, no room to move. Nice to look at, lovely engine noise, but the blokes who drove them must have either been bloody midgets, or into self bondage.

Should have a look at the Lupo GTi, Prices for a good one about 6k and going up all the time, And handles like a go kart plus parts a plenty

s-l1600.jpg

1.6 GTi 3dr SERVICE HISTORY | eBay
Be ideal for the north lakes either that or an XR2
Had lots of fun in them in the range road in Hohne and doing 120 on the autobhan on remoulds rated at 70
s-l1600.jpg

Ford Fiesta Mk 2 XR2 | eBay

Then whatever you save buying those invest in one of these,

maxresdefault.jpg

Prices are going up for really clean ones 2-3k just now for a really clean one just now have a play with the engine and for around 1-2k you'll have a bike that will piss all over supercars off the lights and put out 35-40bph depending on the tuning/bolt ons be ideal for your neck of the woods or buy the 4t for ultimate reliabity

Should have a look at the Lupo GTi, Prices for a good one about 6k and going up all the time, And handles like a go kart plus parts a plenty

s-l1600.jpg

1.6 GTi 3dr SERVICE HISTORY | eBay
Be ideal for the north lakes either that or an XR2
Had lots of fun in them in the range road in Hohne and doing 120 on the autobhan on remoulds rated at 70
s-l1600.jpg

Ford Fiesta Mk 2 XR2 | eBay
Plus one for the Lupo. We have a TDi Sport. It's quick, economical and cheap to insure.

Plus one for the Lupo. We have a TDi Sport. It's quick, economical and cheap to insure.
Lupo TDi Sport. Complete with pictures of cats and mice on the seat. It was just a shame they didn’t put he more powerful version of the engine in it from the Audi A2, 90 Bhp instead of 75. nice car let down by the pathetic dealers who serviced it.

RP.

Lupo TDi Sport. Complete with pictures of cats and mice on the seat. It was just a shame they didn’t put he more powerful version of the engine in it from the Audi A2, 90 Bhp instead of 75. nice car let down by the pathetic dealers who serviced it.

RP.
There's a lupo for sale near me with a 1.8t engine in it :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Ravers what's in the running so far?

To be honest, I still haven’t strayed too far from the original list of suggestions.

I reckon the 80s offers the best compromise between style / coolness and reliability / practicality.

Also German is probably sensible.

E30 Beemer.
Mk1 Golf.
1980s Merc.
Porsche 944.
Scirocco.

My Golf lease is up in September so still got a while to decide.

To be honest, I still haven’t strayed too far from the original list of suggestions.

I reckon the 80s offers the best compromise between style / coolness and reliability / practicality.

E30 Beemer.
Mk1 Golf.
1980s Merc.
Porsche 944.
Scirocco.

Had a E30 325i when I was in Germany - great car, got a bit tappety as the cams started to slip ever so slightly - wasn't a massive issue but they had to be reset every so often - easy enough job to do with a feeler gauge.

Golf would be cool - but they're very small and tinny compared to modern cars and probably the worst out of all your choices for safety.

Mercs are bullet proof and solid (Mum has a mint 80's 500SL) and will only need running maintenance if you get a good one - just religiously stay on top of the smallest bubble of rot.

I've had a number of modern Porsches and love them - the 944 would be my choice but some bits will be eye wateringly expensive and you'll need a good relationship with your nearest indy garage.

Sirocco - the one I know least about - liked them though and I'd have thought relatively inexpensive to keep running.

Nice wee dilemma to have.

Still think the Bentley is the way to go ;)

I always liked the look of them but my only experiences of Italian cars are a friends Uno Turbo ie mk2 which had been tweeked to something like 150bhp . I never knew you could from Oxford to Bristol so fast in the hands of a 19 year old . Absolutely terrifying and excellent at the same time.
An Italian mate of mine once said to me in astonishment, "you had a Uno Turbo and lived?".

My dad always wanted a Vauxhall Calibra back in the day, I guess they'll come under "classic" now as well. Personally although I like proper classic cars, I've no interest in the common 90's cars that are now collectors items, mainly among former boy racers in their late 30's and 40's who are getting all nostalgic about doing burnouts to impress girls in their tarted up XR3s and GT-R Skylines and reading Max Power magazine. I'd have loved one if I could have afforded it back in '99 when I passed my test but now I think the interiors look and feel cheap and are missing the comforts and features of modern cars.

That being said I dislike most modern cars as well, characterless eco boxes that appeal to people who wear loafers with no socks and read The Guardian or fake 4x4's for mums on the school run, and boring gun metal grey saloons for overweight middle managers and sales reps to have as company cars. My compromise is a two year old three door 2.0 ltr Seat Leon FR in black with a mean looking set of alloys and factory fitted spoiler, it stands out in terms of style, is a lot of fun to drive due to being ******* rapid, and has all the modern features.

E30 Beemer.
Mk1 Golf.
1980s Merc.
Porsche 944.
Scirocco.

Use the time wisely

Go and test drive an XJ12

Then whatever you save buying those invest in one of these,

maxresdefault.jpg

Prices are going up for really clean ones 2-3k just now for a really clean one just now have a play with the engine and for around 1-2k you'll have a bike that will piss all over supercars off the lights and put out 35-40bph depending on the tuning/bolt ons be ideal for your neck of the woods or buy the 4t for ultimate reliabity

Two wheels? For Ravers? You haven’t thought this through, even if it is a low powered hair drier.