Classic car as a daily runner?

Reaching into the back to dial down the boost must have been a pain in the arrse too. Still, at least looking backwards you would be able to see the hedge you were spinning into.
If you've dialed in too much boost, then when you turn around to dial it down you're looking in the direction of travel again.

964ST

War Hero
Meh........, I would love one of these as a run around.

iu
I was in Lippstadt today and a German Reg, ex British Army Bedford 4 tonner drove past!
Even with the windows up and Klima on, in my car the smell from the exhaust fumes was unmistakeable (reminded me of being gassed on the way to EL camp in Basics!, and every range trip thereafter!)

Truxx

LE
If you've dialed in too much boost, then when you turn around to dial it down you're looking in the direction of travel again.
A million years ago I drove the spinniest thing, a MG midget with a very hot engine. Luckily it was so small that it could 360 without encroaching on anything other than the carriageway you were on. I even 360ed it pulling onto the slip road (?) of the services on the M62. I did clout a kerb once which resulted in a bit of an axle change, but other than that it did not do me much harm.

Chef

LE
A million years ago I drove the spinniest thing, a MG midget with a very hot engine. Luckily it was so small that it could 360 without encroaching on anything other than the carriageway you were on. I even 360ed it pulling onto the slip road (?) of the services on the M62. I did clout a kerb once which resulted in a bit of an axle change, but other than that it did not do me much harm.
Riding shotgun in an MG we went hurtling towards a roundabout near Guildford and found ourselves getting a 360 degree panoramic view of the area. Once the wagon stopped we burst out laughing restarted the motor and carried on.

By the cringe, we were young and indestructible.

I was in Lippstadt today and a German Reg, ex British Army Bedford 4 tonner drove past!
Even with the windows up and Klima on, in my car the smell from the exhaust fumes was unmistakeable (reminded me of being gassed on the way to EL camp in Basics!, and every range trip thereafter!)

They ain't the same as an MK, but close enough to make me want one. Here they are not much bigger than some of the really big pick-ups that people cabby around in like the F350, jacked up and fitted with everything.

The downside though is that parts are expensive 'cos they were built for govt use, even the tyres cost around $1300 a piece. It would actually be cheaper to buy a second one to cannibalise for spares than to buy spares. There is a dealer over in Washington State who does full on reconditioning of them and charges around about $50K for them - chancers buy them from the auction, grease them through the road-worthiness test and then charge around $25K for a rolling set of problems.

Was there a stream of piss flowing from the holes in the tailgate, empty beer cans spilling out into the road and were the driver and passenger trying to swap over whilst still moving?

View attachment 548925

I drove that car a couple of times and inside it sounded like a ”crazy science class experiment”! It had been UK registered and the twin turbo engine was British installed, and it had a lap top fitted permanently in the back seat so you could adjust the boost (as required!!) Lethal in the wet.

I can believe it.

I quite like the newer type spoiler which looks a bit like a modernised ducktail spoiler.

964ST

War Hero
Was there a stream of piss flowing from the holes in the tailgate, empty beer cans spilling out into the road and were the driver and passenger trying to swap over whilst still moving?
No, but there was three peeps in the cab, all in green army coveralls laughing there heads off!
It had a really good (almost modern! But that is impossible!! maybe I mean “in good shape”?) Box Body on the rear?

.............and, I'll lay a wager with you that there are some people who think you are joking.

The best I ever experienced was stuck in a very slow moving traffic jam, due to traffic lighted roadworks, up a hill going into Bath. 6 MK's, variously box bodied, or trailered. The full screw at the rear, in the Land Rover left the WRAC Sgt driving that, climbed up the trailer in front of him, and proceeded to walk on top of the entire convoy - whilst at a crawl - to the lead vehicle to see what was happening. I was about 3 back from the front and first copped an eyeful of him when he was moving along the side of the 27.5KVA genny I was towing. As soon as we realised what was happening the co-drivers were up out of the cupolas shouting back and forth waving at the passing civvy's.

Driving up the M6 past the roadworks and flicking the 27.5KVA to knock over every 10th, or 20th cone as designated by the co-driver was a competitive sport for beers.

They ain't the same as an MK, but close enough to make me want one. Here they are not much bigger than some of the really big pick-ups that people cabby around in like the F350, jacked up and fitted with everything.

The downside though is that parts are expensive 'cos they were built for govt use, even the tyres cost around $1300 a piece. It would actually be cheaper to buy a second one to cannibalise for spares than to buy spares. There is a dealer over in Washington State who does full on reconditioning of them and charges around about $50K for them - chancers buy them from the auction, grease them through the road-worthiness test and then charge around $25K for a rolling set of problems.

Strange you should mention that...

Wife & I have been watching reruns of the "Darling Buds of May". Pop Larkin drives an ex-Army Chevy G506:

1613161550742.png

I half-thought it might be fun to have something like that for "hauling stuff". I checked out the specs. Well it turns out it's a 1.5 ton truck, 4x4, less than 100hp, less than 200lb/ft torque. Non-synchro box. Top speed 45mph.

The truck I already have has 30% more weight capacity, 500% more power and torque, leather seats and A/C. And a nice radio. And electric windows. And a lot more.

Now whether my truck will still be around in 50 years' time is highly suspect, but I won't have to worry about that :)

Truxx

LE

Wife & I have been watching reruns of the "Darling Buds of May". Pop Larkin drives an ex-Army Chevy G506:

View attachment 548973

I half-thought it might be fun to have something like that for "hauling stuff". I checked out the specs. Well it turns out it's a 1.5 ton truck, 4x4, less than 100hp, less than 200lb/ft torque. Non-synchro box. Top speed 45mph.

The truck I already have has 30% more weight capacity, 500% more power and torque, leather seats and A/C. And a nice radio. And electric windows. And a lot more.

Now whether my truck will still be around in 50 years' time is highly suspect, but I won't have to worry about that :)
Still exists that truck, in the collection of a chap called Rex Cadnam.

Chef

LE

View attachment 548973

A while back we had access to a cottage in Princetown, Dartmoor. A mate suggested loading my Dodge WC52 with beer and sausages and going for the weekend.

Some back of an envelope calculations produced about 6 hours on the road one way plus about £150 for fuel. The idea was dropped.

But it did make me realise that older classics don't cruise at 70+ and take a lot of actual physical driving. A bit like a series III come to think of it.

However when I can afford one as a hobby again, I'll be able to afford the time to get to where I'm going and the cash to hole up in a hotel if it's too long for one lump.

View attachment 548973

But is it as much fun? My brother restored a 1940s Bedford tipper (he was a fan of Hell Drivers as a kid) and it was as slow and basic as you describe, but driving it was a lot of fun.

Truxx

LE
A while back we had access to a cottage in Princetown, Dartmoor. A mate suggested loading my Dodge WC52 with beer and sausages and going for the weekend.

Some back of an envelope calculations produced about 6 hours on the road one way plus about £150 for fuel. The idea was dropped.

But it did make me realise that older classics don't cruise at 70+ and take a lot of actual physical driving. A bit like a series III come to think of it.

However when I can afford one as a hobby again, I'll be able to afford the time to get to where I'm going and the cash to hole up in a hotel if it's too long for one lump.
I bet, with the way that prices have improved on old stuff, that if you were to do a proper calculation (ie one taking into account peanuts for insurance, no road tax, no MOT costs, appreciation rather than depreciation) the fuel costs (some of which you would have to pay anyway whatever you drove) would pale into insignificance. Add a couple of hundred quid a year for breakdown/recovery cover(my 26 ton wrecker comes in at about £260a year, I think the same cover through a club like the HCVS is even less)

As for not cruising at 70 (although I did have a 1940s fire engine with a very similar engine to the WC series that could cruise at 70 all day long as well as giving your average hatchback a run for its money off the lights) 40mph on a decent road with the wind in your hair takes some bearing, and the beer and snorkers would be extra good after.

So go out now and get another before prices get completely daft (they are on their way).

Chef

LE
I bet, with the way that prices have improved on old stuff, that if you were to do a proper calculation (ie one taking into account peanuts for insurance, no road tax, no MOT costs, appreciation rather than depreciation) the fuel costs (some of which you would have to pay anyway whatever you drove) would pale into insignificance. Add a couple of hundred quid a year for breakdown/recovery cover(my 26 ton wrecker comes in at about £260a year, I think the same cover through a club like the HCVS is even less)

As for not cruising at 70 (although I did have a 1940s fire engine with a very similar engine to the WC series that could cruise at 70 all day long as well as giving your average hatchback a run for its money off the lights) 40mph on a decent road with the wind in your hair takes some bearing, and the beer and snorkers would be extra good after.

So go out now and get another before prices get completely daft (they are on their way).
I did get it up to those speeds on the way to Newbury on the M4 but braking distances were ever so long and needed written notification.

You're right, it was fun to have.

There is a very good YouTube channel called High Peak Autos that reviews of just the sort of cars that this thread is about. Sorely tempted by a Jaguar XJ 4.0 Sovereign.

Do you have a panama hat and box of tissues for the rear parcel shelf?

Latest Threads