Classic car as a daily runner?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Renaults and a Clio 182 cup is still on my list of cars I wish to own one day. I know they’re a bit shit but I always used to like the Renault 19 16v too. You don’t see many of them around anymore.

When I was a kid, my mum’s first car was a blue Renault 5 TS. With a 1.3 engine, this was the sportiest version until they brought out the Turbo. I believe very few are still on the road because they were a popular race car.

Cool little thing but it used to catch fire on an alarmingly regular basis, often with us inside it and occasionally when it was just parked up outside our house. Some d1ckhead also drove into the side of it once so it had a replacement door that was red and didn’t match.

Dad also had some big Renault saloon for a brief period (maybe a 25?). I seem to recall it had a lot of electronic gadgets like early voice control, electric seats and whatnot.

All pretty space age stuff for the late 80s / early 90s.
Early clio cups are mental
I collected my son in laws one while he was in hospital, some Gloucester chavs in a fake type r were glaring at me, so I stuck two fingers up, pulled away gently in ist then nailed it in 2nd and 3rd
I nearly shat meself when a roundabout appeared out of nowhere
Was well funny, till I ran out of petrol
Had to get my daughter out with a can
20mpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
I collected my son in laws one while he was in hospital, some Gloucester chavs in a fake type r were glaring at me, so I stuck two fingers up, pulled away gently in ist then nailed it in 2nd and 3rd
20mpg
Yep, proper pocket rockets and one of the last real hot hatches before they all got fat and turbocharged.

You can see why they are now the budget track day car of choice. Very easy to get 0-60 times around 5 seconds with some minor fettling and weight saving.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Yep, proper pocket rockets and one of the last real hot hatches before they all got fat and turbocharged.

You can see why they are now the budget track day car of choice. Very easy to get 0-60 times around 5 seconds with some minor fettling and weight saving.
The idiot son in laws one is gently sinking into the garden, perhaps he will get it sorted in a few years
Not by me, I have had enough of the thing
As soon as my crusty heap is finished I am selling the rotating jig, in case he gets any ideas

He also has a new clip cup
That's mental as well
But not as scary

Dad also had some big Renault saloon for a brief period (maybe a 25?). I seem to recall it had a lot of electronic gadgets like early voice control, electric seats and whatnot.

All pretty space age stuff for the late 80s / early 90s.
Had a Renault 25 2.5 V6 Turbo as a firm's car for 3 years.
200-odd bhp. Loved the way the bonnet lifted a bit under full chat.
It was a pure rocket,but some had standing order for head gaskets.
Mine lasted....
It was an understated Q car on the motorways though..
Suffice to say I was glad I was not paying for it's fuel or upkeep.
Lunched front tires every 5/7k miles, perhaps down to me a bit.
Never used oil, never had leccy issues though.
Ate motorways with ease.

20mpg

I dream of 20 mpg :D

Latest Threads