Classic car as a daily runner?

Truxx

LE
I’ve had the Golf advertised at £6995 for over 6 weeks now and haven’t had a sniff.

I thought that was a fair price, looking at other ones out there. There are currently two on eBay for over 15k.

Seems the market is a bit stagnant at the moment. I’m gonna sit on it and enjoy it a while longer.

In the meantime I’ve purchased a cheap and cheerful Skoda Yeti as a runaround which ticks the commuting box at least.

Meanwhile the Ferrari is away having a big engine out service and is racking up big bills. The mechanic keeps finding little niggles that are the result of previous bodges. 840 quid for a new oil hose, 600 quid for an under tray, 400 quid for some other little part. I’m not gonna see any change out of 5-6 grand for this service.

I’m rapidly losing interest in this car and it’s turning into a bit of a financial liability. When it’s back from the service I think I’m gonna get rid.

Should be able to get between 40 and 50 for it which is a lot more than I bought it for. That’s 20k in the bank and a nice Lancia Fulvia which I’d much prefer to be honest.
A fat rat costing money?

Whoda thunk it?

Lancia miles better.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
My kid brother was in the carriage trade for years.

The car they could never shift?

Green Imprezzas.
There aren’t many cars that look good in green to be honest.

Land Rovers, other old English things.

Can’t really think of anything else.

Only green car I’ve ever owned was a P38 Range Rover.

"Harry's Garage" V12 nut & bolted.
Think it's a classic Aston Martin paint.
1659813437687.png

"Harry's Garage" V12 nut & bolted.
Think it's a classic Aston Martin paint.
View attachment 683468
It’s a modern Aston colour with the modern “ flip flop shimmer removed.
I agree a gorgeous colour. I’m trying to persuade the wife to let me do cruella ( the Benz) in that colour, it’s currently in its original twix wrapper gold. The Germans did some truly shite colours in the 70’s which is why they only look good in silver or piano black, but who wants to play safe all their life.

TamH70

MIA

Makes a change from "Wear my Hawaiian Shirt and Gold Medallion" red.

I like it. Nah, in actual fact, l love it. It's rolling four wheels of "this is my Ferrari, there are no others like it, and this one is mine!"

Props to the guy.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
Makes a change from "Wear my Hawaiian Shirt and Gold Medallion" red.

I like it. Nah, in actual fact, l love it. It's rolling four wheels of "this is my Ferrari, there are no others like it, and this one is mine!"

Props to the guy.
David Piper famously had his Ferraris in green. Done at the factory as well!

But they were Celtic green, not British racing.

goodwood_les_grandes_heures_automobiles_montlhery_29092017_04159-3-autos-de-david-piper.jpg

I’ve had the Golf advertised at £6995 for over 6 weeks now and haven’t had a sniff.

I thought that was a fair price, looking at other ones out there. There are currently two on eBay for over 15k.
It may actually seem too cheap.;) Could be arousing unwarranted suspicions.

Would you travel for a mint & boxed Ford Capri 2.8i Brooklands with full history at say 8k?
I'd not...summat's up.
28k? I'm on it like a famished tramp on free curried chips & rice.

People are odd.
I'd withdraw it, and re-ad at double.
You've got refurb photos etc.

In fact people can be really odd about cars.

When I nut & bolted mine 3 years back, I was offered stupid cash on the barrel for it despite being the leper of it's kind at the time...automatic. He took more photos than I did. Would have turned a 3k profit flipping it. I did it for retirement not to sell. I swithered, but declined.
It's now manual of late with "built" steel RS spec engine...expensive conversion harvested out a track day write off but worth the trouble. Solid Mk1's are now fetching well over decent Mk3 money.

Stuff like yours are just going to keep climbing.
Old school runners will become rarer still or Carcooned invisibly.

Last edited:
My daily runaround on my trip to Greece. I asked the car rental firm (run by by an expat Brit I think, one Julie Rutherford) if they had something low cost for my 11 day stay.
Got just the thing for you she says. Cosmetically challenged but runs very well. Less than half the price of the usual rentals on Zakynthos which suited me just fine.
I added a couple of dents when I accidentally backed into a low stone wall but nobody was bothered. :boogie:

IMG-20220802-WA0008~2.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
It may actually seem too cheap.;) Could be arousing unwarranted suspicions.

Would you travel for a mint & boxed Ford Capri 2.8i Brooklands with full history at say 8k?
I'd not...summat's up.
28k? I'm on it like a famished tramp on free curried chips & rice.

People are odd.
I'd withdraw it, and re-ad at double.
You've got refurb photos etc.
Nah 7k is bang on. It’s worth no more than that. They vary massively in price for some reason. A couple of grotty ones out there for under 5k.

Mine has a few minor cosmetic niggles which I’ve been honest about in the ad and it’s done 130k miles so it’s not the best out there.

I’ll just sit on it a while longer.

Knowledgeable and cantankerous.
One of those restorations shows had them metal stitching an Austin cylinder head. Amazing. And the bloke doing it suffered no fools.
Amazing tv.
As mentioned before, car sos has become much more technical, less japes, blags and jokery.
It goes with the job, because it's a combination of hard graft, mental torture and sometimes huge responsibility (say if you are making stuff that has fatal consequences if it fails), often to deadlines given by people who have 100% no clue of the effort or skills involved.

I now and again may watch a short bit of various people on line or on the telly, but find all this modern star stuff a bit weird having worked in my career with quiet self effacing old boys who as the saying went "could make a teddy bear out of a tin bath", ie. create anything from a 1/4 scale Brabham to a TSR2.

They would be amazed at the following these people have for doing often very basic work a day jobs that folk in the past just went in and got on with without any fuss and forgot about when home.

I went to a classic drive in at Morgans near me just last week, and they have it nailed, bit's of swarf and old rusty tools in glass cases with punters ohhing and ahhing,........a totally surreal experience !

Most of the old boys in the past although they could have made a Ferrari 250, drove about in basic everyday transport and avoided the classic car and vintage scene like the plague.

God, the bleeding tales I could tell about the owners of some of these cars, but I have spent near 50 years pandering to the whims of rich folks and their toys, so am grateful for continuous employment since I left school as apart from a couple of hiccups, there are no recessions for folk of this ilk.

Cantankrous is right I reckon........

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Nah 7k is bang on. It’s worth no more than that. They vary massively in price for some reason. A couple of grotty ones out there for under 5k.

Mine has a few minor cosmetic niggles which I’ve been honest about in the ad and it’s done 130k miles so it’s not the best out there.

I’ll just sit on it a while longer.
I hate selling stuff.

I love buying it, but maybe no-one else has my particular shade of rose tinted specs.

There are some right choppers out there.

"Thing for sale - £6000. Based in Appleby."

Questions range from " how much are you asking for it?"

Through to "Where are you based?"

The latest was I advertised something. For 6 grand as it happens. And it was in fact a pair of things - a 2 into 1 project. A bloke asked me if I would sell him the winch. Yes I said. £6000 and you get 2 free trucks.

Knob

Latest Threads