Classic car as a daily runner?

Chef

LE
Fair points, and about the same as my own views.
I guess I should have put the sarcasm mode in bold.

My - badly put - point was to foreshadow the funpolice's wailing.
It'll come, if only on starting on the letters pages.

Most of society's, (often self-appointed,) guardians have become either decidedly risk averse or frightened of a moral backlash so feel the need to get their retaliation in first, and to teach mere mortals that "Nanny knows best."
I disagreed as I took you as one of the fun police. As you say in this post the risk averse society and general desire to channel everything into controlled scenarios is gradually stifling any sort of unregulated hobby.

It also occurred to me that horse riding has a lot of fatalities and serious injuries on a regular basis, across the UK all year round rather than the period of the TT races.

I would also say that you could probably get a job writing 'Appalled of Basingstoke' letters :cool: (Huzza for emojis).

Old Scribes

Old-Salt
@Chef
@Ecosse
@Old Scribes
@jagman2

With which part of the post do you disagree ?
Answer: Your demand to ban motorcycles and sidecar racing outfits.

Now that the TT is not part of any other championship series, it is a personal choice to take part. You have to show a certain level of competence to take part in the race by posting a qualifying time in practice.

I quite agree that the loss of lives is tragic. Sadly, many of the broadcasters still tend to report only on the death statistics and do not give any other coverage of the TT races. I feel that the article that Jagman quoted is a very fair appraisal. The comparison with Mt Everest is very apt.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Now that the TT is not part of any other championship series, it is a personal choice to take part.
I'm pretty sure most racing isn't compulsory.

Except for the VEP Hamilton.
He was forced into it by racist enslavement and the patriarchy.

JAD

LE
Sp

Sounds like something Guy Martin would be nuts enough to try.
He has all the mechanic chatter that lad.

Sound, that is chief: lets give it a go like. Let's just have a brew fust lads; Bob on that is etc etc.

He is a bit of a one off is Guy Martin. His autobioraphy is quite a tale too.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
In unlikely event of weather, deploy convertible.
8120B98E-9B54-4A07-A4CD-F669BADFD8DA.jpeg

You could pay not to have any badging too. Very fashionable in the Fatherland where something would belt past you and whilst you knew it was a merc or a beemer but you did not have a clue as to what was under the bonnet.

Subaru did this with some of the fancy Imprezas - you could pay extra for no spoilers, Turbo/WRX badging etc.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Through the power of arrse, I thought I would post this here
some one might spot it
a great many classic cars have vanished of late, some of them very very big old yankee motors
they have to be stored someplace
perhaps a member might spot something on their travels

Hello, my great uncle (in his 90’s) was a part of Basingstoke classic car club until he was diagnosed with dementia.
On Saturday an Irishman took advantage of my great uncle & he took this car out for a "test drive" & didn't come back with it!!
I don't hold out much hope of getting it back for him as it could be anywhere by now but I was just wondering if you lovely people could please keep an eye out for it.
There’s £1000 reward for any information leading to the recovery of his beloved car.

1656010760439.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Through the power of arrse, I thought I would post this here
some one might spot it
a great many classic cars have vanished of late, some of them very very big old yankee motors
they have to be stored someplace
perhaps a member might spot something on their travels

Hello, my great uncle (in his 90’s) was a part of Basingstoke classic car club until he was diagnosed with dementia.
On Saturday an Irishman took advantage of my great uncle & he took this car out for a "test drive" & didn't come back with it!!
I don't hold out much hope of getting it back for him as it could be anywhere by now but I was just wondering if you lovely people could please keep an eye out for it.
There’s £1000 reward for any information leading to the recovery of his beloved car.

View attachment 672422

Nasty bang on the rear wing there.

Sadly their best bet is probably to keep a watch for an eBay seller offering lots of obscure spare parts for that model. The same was happenning a few years back when they cashed in on the trend for 'facelifting' Discovery 3s with D4 wings, lights and grills. They're pretty easy to remove quickly (even in busy carparks in broad daylight aparently), and then sell on the unwitting folks who think they're getting a bargain.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’ve recently moved jobs which means I’m back to doing pretty hefty mileage again. Unfortunately the Golf isn’t gonna cut it moving forward.

It’s been great fun while it’s lasted, but it’s time to shift it on to pastures new and get something dull and newer that can do 3 or 400 miles a week.

I reckon it’s worth about 6.5 - 7k so I’ve made a grand or so on it. I’ll be sad to see it go.

Time to go shopping for a crappy little modern hatchback. Alfa Mito is currently the top contender. The 170bhp fast one.

Nothing else even remotely interests me in that sort of price bracket.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’ve recently moved jobs which means I’m back to doing pretty hefty mileage again. Unfortunately the Golf isn’t gonna cut it moving forward.

It’s been great fun while it’s lasted, but it’s time to shift it on to pastures new and get something dull and newer that can do 3 or 400 miles a week.

I reckon it’s worth about 6.5 - 7k so I’ve made a grand or so on it. I’ll be sad to see it go.

Time to go shopping for a crappy little modern hatchback. Alfa Mito is currently the top contender. The 170bhp fast one.

:eek::(

bentobox

War Hero

Can't keep it to the end of summer?

Or looking to shift it now for some-one else to enjoy in the sun?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Can't keep it to the end of summer?

Or looking to shift it now for some-one else to enjoy in the sun?
I reckon I’ll probably get a bit more for it this time of year. I’d rather keep it, but need to be sensible.

We also need to replace the missus’s car later this year, so the decision is also balanced by having to chuck 30-40 grand at a medium to large SUV.

Latest Threads