Classic car as a daily runner?

Bearded top knotted hipsters
Using terms like your ride!!!!
Ffs it's a classic car
I presume they want like minded idiots that (badly) customise classic cars, paint them matt black, and stick rappers wheels on them
All very North London as me dad used to day
Like cancer on the box new, everyone and his brother are beating the shite out of bits of metal and wood with varying amounts of skill to make furniture / custom bikes / EV cars / classics and wonky swords.

I suppose I should be glad that folk are getting involved and doing stuff later in life that they missed out on at school due to H+S and no metalwork, but some of it is cringeworthy, .....some excellent as well...

Truxx

LE
Like cancer on the box new, everyone and his brother are beating the shite out of bits of metal and wood with varying amounts of skill to make furniture / custom bikes / EV cars / classics and wonky swords.

I suppose I should be glad that folk are getting involved and doing stuff later in life that they missed out on at school due to H+S and no metalwork, but some of it is cringeworthy, .....some excellent as well...
Heres a top tip

If you want to make any sort of knife/machete start with a lump of vehicle leaf spring.

@Chef
@Ecosse
@Old Scribes
@jagman2

With which part of the post do you disagree ?

All of it

Why would they be banned, far more Muppets die in cars on UK roads and we don't consider banning that

I drive a car. I ride a bike and I drive a lorry for a living

I've been over the Mountain Course on the Isle of Man three times this week on a bike and the most dangerous thing I did was getting off the ferry in the early hours this morning

Motorcycles are not unsafe

I accept it has been a bad TT for deaths but the grown ups there are vigorous in their efforts to constantly improve safety and reduce risk
The participants understand the risks, nobody is obliged to take part

This week has seen several competitors step back and all those who have done so received universal support for their decision

Besides. Everybody dies of something and I'm pro choice

Or do advocate banning anything that carries a risk

Its the modern equivalent of throwing Christians to the lions

No it isn't

Everybody who takes part does so because they want to in the full knowledge of the risks
They do it anyway and relish the challenge

Lots decide it isn't for them and nobody begrudges them the right to decide for themselves

Goes without saying.

Back in the day, amongst the landing craft fraternity, much was made of the qualities of "pre atomic" steel

Completely off on a tangent. Did you ever go near Florence iron mine before it finally closed and flooded?
Fascinating place

I consider myself fortunate to be old enough to remember steel furnaces running in Consett and West Cumbria

On another note I find the whole concept of steel being different in the nuclear age quite stunning

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
All of it. It was only 1 sentence.
Check my post 2035.;)
Your opinion, which is perfectly fine.
My choice not to buy into it which also perfectly fine.
There is no right or wrong.
All of it

Why would they be banned, far more Muppets die in cars on UK roads and we don't consider banning that

I drive a car. I ride a bike and I drive a lorry for a living

I've been over the Mountain Course on the Isle of Man three times this week on a bike and the most dangerous thing I did was getting off the ferry in the early hours this morning

Motorcycles are not unsafe

I accept it has been a bad TT for deaths but the grown ups there are vigorous in their efforts to constantly improve safety and reduce risk
The participants understand the risks, nobody is obliged to take part

This week has seen several competitors step back and all those who have done so received universal support for their decision

Besides. Everybody dies of something and I'm pro choice

Or do advocate banning anything that carries a risk
The moral complexities of the Isle of Man TT that can't be ignored

Worth a read, opinion piece about the TT deaths this year
Thoughts not dissimilar to my own and more coherently put than my typing allows
Fair points, and about the same as my own views.
I guess I should have put the sarcasm mode in bold.

My - badly put - point was to foreshadow the funpolice's wailing.
It'll come, if only on starting on the letters pages.

Most of society's, (often self-appointed,) guardians have become either decidedly risk averse or frightened of a moral backlash so feel the need to get their retaliation in first, and to teach mere mortals that "Nanny knows best."

Completely off on a tangent. Did you ever go near Florence iron mine before it finally closed and flooded?
Fascinating place

I consider myself fortunate to be old enough to remember steel furnaces running in Consett and West Cumbria

On another note I find the whole concept of steel being different in the nuclear age quite stunning

You can probably fill the gaps here.
I’m sure I watched a docu once where a bloke was saying that there’s a big market for steel from ship wrecks that went down pre 19xx (before the first atomic/nuclear bomb) as its more pure, or something.

Big money in that particular salvage field apparently.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Fascinating place

Nope, never went. But there used to be a steelworks in Carnforth of all places. If it were still there Tim Farron would be wetting himself.

Or rather wetting himself even more than usual

You can probably fill the gaps here.
I’m sure I watched a docu once where a bloke was saying that there’s a big market for steel from ship wrecks that went down pre 19xx (before the first atomic/nuclear bomb) as its more pure, or something.

Big money in that particular savage field apparently.
Apparently since the end of large scale nuclear bomb testing the issue is gradually reducing and low background steel is not required for as many applications as it was

All steel produced after the first nuclear test contains traces of contamination which makes it unsuitable for lots of sensing equipment like Geiger counters and I believe a lot of medical equipment

Apparently since the end of large scale nuclear bomb testing the issue is gradually reducing and low background steel is not required for as many applications as it was

All steel produced after the first nuclear test contains traces of contamination which makes it unsuitable for lots of sensing equipment like Geiger counters and I believe a lot of medical equipment

Ah. Makes sense.

Nope, never went. But there used to be a steelworks in Carnforth of all places. If it were still there Tim Farron would be wetting himself.

Or rather wetting himself even more than usual

Not so surprising really, the amount of iron mined in the Furness area was immense
Carnforth isn't far away

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

ergo our little chinese mates, nicking entire war graves from the sea bed !