Classic car as a daily runner?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
E6E84036-CC67-4FEF-BCB6-B7D35FD66E5E.jpeg
273FE6C1-C1A8-42AC-BA68-ED9F80839E93.jpeg

Is that front one a Testarossa?
I was working in Albert Park a few years ago, during race week each year the Aussi prancing horse owners have a marquee and display in one of the areas where the side shows are.

We were walking in each day as staying close by, and one morning either one of the above, or a similar heeled guy trundled past us and parked up a 250 shortnose......several mil's worth even then.

Driver got out with a flourish looking around, looked like Hugh Grant in a film the way he was dressed, we were feet away and as he reached in getting something out I remarked as we passed loudly to the couple of guys with me.

"Yeah, they are fibreglass, based on a Toyota MR2 I think, actually look quite good if built well, but like Cobra kits I reckon it should be illegal to put maker's badge on" etc. etc.

The guy's neck went the colour of a traffic light, and as he wheeled round to call us out I smiled and said;

"Don't stress mate, I know it's a real one!"

In the game I was in you see cars like that like you see Mondogs when out shopping, vary nice and I will have a look, and often the owners are down to earth, but just could not help myself that day......

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
I was working in Albert Park a few years ago, during race week each year the Aussi prancing horse owners have a marquee and display in one of the areas where the side shows are.

We were walking in each day as staying close by, and one morning either one of the above, or a similar heeled guy trundled past us and parked up a 250 shortnose......several mil's worth even then.

Driver got out with a flourish looking around, looked like Hugh Grant in a film the way he was dressed, we were feet away and as he reached in getting something out I remarked as we passed loudly to the couple of guys with me.

"Yeah, they are fibreglass, based on a Toyota MR2 I think, actually look quite good if built well, but like Cobra kits I reckom it should be illegal to put maker's badge on" etc. etc.

The guy's neck went the colour of a traffic light, and as he heeled round to call us out I smiled and said;

In the game I was in you see cars like that like you see Mondogs when out shopping, vary nice and I will have a look, and often the owners are down to earth, but just could not help myself that day......
There is a mindless, but for some reason eminently watchable set of videos on YouTube where the YouTuber, in somewhere like Malibou or LA sticks a camera in front of, and a microphone in the face of, supercar driver/owners either at the mall, coming out of a restaurant or even just stopped at the lights.

The questions are along the lines of what do you do/ what did you do at school/college?

A surprising number of just ordinary sounding folks. Very down to earth.

wheeler dealers?
Not that one, although I understand why you thought so.

There was a 'Wheeler Dealer' knock-off made from a lock-up in London, somewhere. At least 'WDs' and Car SOS collect the car from you...

---
ETA: It was Classic Car Rescue, the plastic American was Canadian. Big oops.

Last edited:
The plastic American and gobby Cockerney version? Name escapes me for the moment.
Bernie Fineman
Did Classic Car Rescue along with Mario Pacione.

Yes, an ABSOLUTE pile of shyte that was.

In the 1960s Fineman was a mechanic for the Kray Twins and has admitted to fixing their vehicles after they were used in the Kray's crimes

"Yeah, they are fibreglass, based on a Toyota MR2 I think, actually look quite good if built well, but like Cobra kits I reckom it should be illegal to put maker's badge on" etc. etc.

The guy's neck went the colour of a traffic light, and as he heeled round to call us out I smiled and said;

There were some really nice 250 GTO replicas (yes I know it’s an oxymoron) built on 260Z Datsuns down here in the 80s. Very nicely detailed.

I think the Aussie tradition of fakes, copies and replicas is rather like the tradition of tribute bands. There were Aussie Stones, Abbas, Pink Floyd’s etc etc in the 70s because the bands very rarely, if ever, came here.

It was the same with cars; there were no (at least not many) Ferrari’s, Porsches, Cobras etc down here so it became “legitimate” to fake. You still see it today; there’ll be crappy fakes on the Porsche etc pages on CarSales.com.au.

Things are changing; we’re an hour north of Sydney. When we first moved here, everyone drove old Holdens or utes. This week I’ve seen two Lambos, a McLaren and an Aston Superleggera within ten minutes of home.

Latest Threads