Classic British dishes dying out

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by YesItsMe, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

this article at least says so

would you agree?

it's a bit like that here also ... you got all those döner and kebab snack bars
    and most ppl rather warm up stuff in the microwave than cooking a real good meal
  2. Oh I don't know. we had roast venison last night with some new potatoes and veg. NOw that's an easy dinner. Put venison in oven to roast. Go to pub. Come back, put veg on. Glass of.

It's done!

Cold cuts tonight. Venison steaks for a couple of evenings and then back to rabbit.

We did have Beef chilli with rice at the weeked so that would support the trend. I suppose curry is the "foreign" dish we have most often. Usually rabbit or venison.
  3. My Dad used to eat Pigs Dripping butties. Surprisingly, he's still alive.
  4. Dripping Sandwiches my that takes me back to my youth

Mind you had Toad in the Hole on Saturday Night, some still left over so thats dinner tonight
  5. YesItsMe

it's the same here

curry - or let's rather say asian food -
    same as anything italian - greek or turkish you will find very often

though i still like cooking traditional dishes such as stews aso
    i know quite a lot of ppl who never ever do
  6. Bollocks, in most fancy restaurants one sees classic British dishes on the menu.

Curry, one could argue it is traditionally British (kedgeree anyone?) and I believe 'curry' powder was a British invention.

As I understand it, classic British cuisine is coming back in, thanks to Gary Rhodes, Brian Turner and often Gordon Ramsey.
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

For those of "a certain age", the Classic British dishes bring back memories of post-War rationing, and the fact that "foreign food" was unobtainable.

Pace Stab's venison and rabbit, which is cheating and akin to murder [do you do mail order? :wink: ] tha vast majority of Classic British is boring, heavy or both .. and tends to be [forgive me, folks] poor people's food.

Here we try to run the variety of [self-prepared] Italian, Oriental and British ... whilst trying to alternate Beef/Pork/Poultry/Seafood, and taking out a small mortgage on Lamb occasionally.

Celebrate variety ... but prepare and cook yourself.
  8. I suppose if you had to go out and collect the fuel for the stove it must have tasted good nonetheless :wink: :wink:
  9. You live on an island entirely surrounded by fish! Forage for yourself!

(I could post some venison but I'd worry over how long it took to arrive....)

Do you think there would be a market for mail order venison or rabbit curry?
  10. YesItsMe

well - that's one point but do you see them often served as well?
    just being on the menu is only half the truth i think
  11. YesItsMe

go for a try - put some ad on the internet and wait for replies ... or rather orders :D
  12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

There's certainly a market for the recipes for those curries, please. I'll swap you for bacon roly poly, or even 'real spotted dick and custard'.

And I'd suspect there will be a market for these recipes if the credit crunch really bites. Beef skirt, neck of lamb, and all those cheap cuts which have to be cooked long and slow will come into their own again.

Having said that, I'm on prawns and pasta for tea, but I did have a delicious liver and bacon yesterday. (It's great when the offspring leave home!)
  13. The woods will soon become depleted, cooking "long and slow" at ever increasing energy prices could be a false economy...

Look up recipes from thebrigade of Gurkhas on the arrsepedia. i posted another one on here a couple of weeks ago. The Army (Gurkha) cookbook recipes are good but not very hot by modern tastes.
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Depends whether using a slow cooker, which uses very little power, or even a haybox! (I use the simmering oven of my faithful Aga, which can be considered expensive to run, but does so much more than just cook!)

I saw those recipes. Scarily, some of the egg ones looked very like the ones I have in an old notebook of my Dad's from the 50s-60s.
  15. A wood burning stove now attracts reduced rates of VAT because wood is a "carbon neutral renewable energy resource". Wonders never cease!