Class A's Dress Order

Discussion in 'US' started by RP578, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Bit of an esoteric one, but someone's got to know.

I've seen pictures from the Viet Nam era with US Army personnel wearing Class A's without ribbons, just qualification badges, i.e. CIB, Jump Wings etc. First came across this when putting together a presentation using a pic of Lt Calley (see below), but also noticed SSGT Sadler (of Green Beret fame) singing on V with just the CIB and various wings up, but sans ribbons so I guess it's not just for those being Court Martialed.

Any idea why they would have been worn without ribbons and if this is still done?

2. Is that not Lt Caley (sp) of Mei Li infamy?
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, it's the very same 'Rusty' Calley. I used a pic of him in a Law of Armed Conflict presentation and initially thought that the no ribbons thing was because he was attending his Court Martial. However, as I wrote above, I just saw a clip of SSgt Barry Sadler singing his Green Berets song and he had he same arrangement, so just wondered why.
  4. There is no requirement to wear all your awards on your uniform except for the official DA photo (and at that, things like unit awards and DUIs are removed). I have personally never seen them not worn on As, only on Bs, but it is very common not to wear every ribbon one is entitled to. I don't wear my various State-level ones, for example.
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Let me get this straight. You can pick and choose which ribbons to wear on your uniform? That sounds a little odd.

You mentioned your State-level awards, are these generally the ones people leave off, and why?
  6. Pretty much. Obviously you have to have earned them, first! It's led to interesting arguments between Command Sergeants Major who want soldiers to wear their current unit's patch as a combat patch, whilst soldiers want to wear a different one from an earlier deployment. As if CSMs didn't have more pressing issues.

In my case, because either they're so incredibly daft that i think they're embarassing, (like the California Drill Attendance Ribbon) or in my current case, because most all the Nevada ones I'm entitled to basically duplicate Federal awards and so don't provide much new information to the observer at the cost of having to buy yet another rack. I wouldn't be surprised if airborne infantry types are the ones who leave off most of the ribbons: The jump wings and CIB are probably the only pieces of flair they consider important.

7. I have a friend who is quite senior and as a result has had troops from a good number of other countries under his command and has received several decorations from other countries. He does not usually wear the ribbons for all these awards but I understand that if he is visiting Germany he makes sure to wear his Gernam awards, when going to Italy wears the Italian ones and so forth.
  8. Foreign awards are a bit different. You are only authorised to wear one foreign award, so if you have, say, Italian jump wings, and the German Sports badge, you have to pick one. That one's in the regs.

9. That's a little misleading. Schützenschnur, Das Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst, and jump wings from most any country imaginable are very common. I already have Dutch jump wings, and I tried out for DALT as part of OCS. Actual decorations (And in fairness, I do note that's the word you used, but I'm making sure it's clear to all) as opposed to badges and awards, such as Marines getting the British DFC, are, indeed, more rare, but that's just because they're not commonly awarded.

There are two categories of foreign award and decoration. There's the 'pre-approved' list, found at the back of 600-8-22, which just require a Brigade Commander's sign-off, and there's the 'not-pre-approved' list, which requires approval at DA level.

10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Attached Files:

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Why quote chapters from the AR 600? The two decorations I posted pictures of and the ROK Presidental Unit citations are authorized 'foriegn' decorations and have been for some time. It should be apparent to anybody that every facet of what military people are governed by if they are still a soldier or retire or veteran is covered somewhere in some Army or other service(s) regulations, etc. If your going to quote AR's post or other military regulations the info or actual AR should be posted. (Or an excerpt.)

I also have Canadian Para wings, since I jumped with the Van Doo's (Montreal) and the Canadian Parachute Regiment in Edmonton, a couple of time.