Clasp to LSGC??

Im asking this on behalf of a friend...
The story is, he has done 26 years with the RAF then joined the MPGS. He is now close to his 30 year point and the clasp for his LSGC.
He obviously has the RAF LSGC, would he be given an army clasp, a RAF clasp or given an army LSGC instead of a clasp? Obviously the RAF LSGC is completely different to the army one so any help with an answer would be great.

I really don't know, but I think he will just get the clasp.

I know of a guy who did get the LSGCM for the Navy and the Air Force, but I heard that he did 15 years in each.
Or maybe that's just one of those rumours.

Z

Zarathustra

Might be worth asking someone in his unit admin office maybe, or giving the medal office a ring

I had the RN LS&GC (RM) and then spent 3yrs with the AAC which qualified me for the bar, after much discussion with the Medals and Admin office they gave me an RN bar. I think it was down to where I had spent the majority of the qualifying period.

Thankfully this thread has solved a problem for a mate of mine who transferred to MPGS a few years back - He didn't think he'd qualify for the LSGC at all. A couple of anecdotes here suggest he's in with a realistic shout of getting it should he apply for it. Cheers.

I served 32+ years only being discharged this April (2012). I was an LE Officer but does anyone know if i would be entitled for a bar on my LS&GC or do you have to have remained an OR to get the bar? I just want to get all my medals sorted and mounted as there wont be any more!

I served 32+ years only being discharged this April (2012). I was an LE Officer but does anyone know if i would be entitled for a bar on my LS&GC or do you have to have remained an OR to get the bar? I just want to get all my medals sorted and mounted as there wont be any more!
I believe that you have to have served for at least 7 years In Ranks after the initial award in order to be eligible.

Well i did my full 22 before being commissioned so that should be OK, anyone know who and how i apply for it?

Wouldnt even know how to! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Well i checked the Gazette and no entry there for the award of the bar so i think ill have to contact the Medals office and see what they have to say.

Your clerks can apply for it.

They wont give the LSGC or clasps (I'd imagine) without first having a good trawl through your records.

You have to have done 22+years as an OR for your 30 to count if you are an Officer.

You can get an LSGC as an officer at 15 years, if you served 12years as an OR>

Strange that now all the criteria are Jointed we still have three medals... you'd think they'd merge them (like the VC when the RAF were created).

CH - Just get the JPA form from the JPA log on page, fill it in, print it off, get it signed and then hand it to your clerks. I was awarded mine last year having got the LS&GC at my 15 years point. As an LE Offr you have to have served 7 further years after your LS&GC was awarded in the ranks and the remainder of the 15 can be as either an Offr or in the ranks. You get a rosette forthe ribon and a nice clasp for miniatures and full size. Not many awarded so if you have a nice collection it adds some value should you need to sell them off in later years. Only applied for mine as someone took the pis one night about not having it so i gave it a go and it turned up fairly pronto.

Well my dad served for 31 years and he only got granted the medal once- perhaps I need to do even more digging.