Clasp Knife

G

Green_Garfield

Guest
#2
er... its is. little sliver things with a yellow lanyard.

sorry don't have the NSN i'm out at the COB and my good numbers book is in my store back in the uk,

I could find it out tomorrow if you want?
 
#3
like garfield said it is available,but to be honest its a bit of junk.Got a leatherman issued about a year ago thats a very good bit of kit
 
#5
warrior8234mkIIIA2 said:
like garfield said it is available,but to be honest its a bit of junk.Got a leatherman issued about a year ago thats a very good bit of kit
Ray Mears would have you believe that they're Wonderful (clicky) :D
 
#6
happybonzo said:
warrior8234mkIIIA2 said:
like garfield said it is available,but to be honest its a bit of junk.Got a leatherman issued about a year ago thats a very good bit of kit
Ray Mears would have you believe that they're Wonderful (clicky) :D
Jesus, 18 quid! I've got three hanging around, I'll accept fifty quid the lot!
 
#7
I got issued the cheap one with no boyyle opener and the colour-boy tried to sell me a lanyard to go with it. Cheeky get, I didn't know it came issued.
 
#10
Got mine on me - NSN 7340-99-975-7402.

Made by 'JR' in 1979 (the year I joined up!).

I suppose he made them when he wasn't drilling for oil.

It doesn't have the big **** off spike on it though. Always wondered what that was for.....................
 
#12
Bubbles_Barker said:
Got mine on me - NSN 7340-99-975-7402.

Made by 'JR' in 1979 (the year I joined up!).

I suppose he made them when he wasn't drilling for oil.

It doesn't have the big * off spike on it though. Always wondered what that was for.....................
Mine does, I found its really good for being a pokey thing, for those awkward situations when you don't want to blunt your blade but need a pokey thing.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#14
Its for splicing two loose wracs together!
 
#15
I'm told the design goes back to before WW2 (sometime seen with bakelite handles) and the spike is double purpose (or more, it probably pierces evaporated milk tins nicely too)

The olde-style cavalry had them for cleaning horses-hooves.

For matelots, however, the spike is a "fid" for splicing ropes; two live ends can be joined or an "eye" made to go over a mooring-bollard or similar.

It's a dying art. Here's an example; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_splice
 
#16
I have two,The older more sturdy one with the bottle opener I've had for years & the newer one with the yellow lanyard I got last July.
Prefer the older one myself.

Old knife (circa 1990)-7340 99 JA 975-7402

New knife-5110997940491
 
#17
Well thank you all. Now I know what it's for I know that I never would have needed it as rope splicing, hoof paring and condensed milk can piercing has never (or not yet at least) been required.

Now I've said that, I just know that I'll be tied to a lame horse tomorrow, dying of thirst, with a can of condensed milk within reach :x
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#18
Mine is a 1968 made one and sits in my stalking jacket (summer version).
 
#20
I have an old navy clasp knife 'twice the size and with bakealite handle grips' along with my two issued knives 'one with spike one without' stupid way too short green and yellow lanyard only started getting issued to me around 88 we used a pistol or long 'arms length' string lanyard before then (I still use my original string lanyard)

Basic knife easy to use for holing wriggly tin and FRM, windlassing etc. can be attached to a lanyard while in use 'no dropping into a gap by accident'

Very useful for helping to undo awkward load straps on bridge pallets 'without cutting the webbing'

The spike useful when doing lots of work with cordage especially when stripping out

But maybe you needed to be a knocker a few years ago to really appreciate it
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top