Clarkson Suspended by the BBC

Rab_C

War Hero
The chemistry just isn't there. You are right, they are trying too hard and they just aren't funny. I've half watched a couple of episodes.

I bought Prime to stay with the original guys...much better. Hardly watch BBC now.
The original trio have become a parody of themselves and bore the tits of me. To me the new guys on BBC do seem to have a chemistry however, as others have said theres only so many old cars to drive up dusty mountain roads.

All these things have a shelf life, I suppose. I watched a few episodes of The Grand Tour - fun and interesting to see the difference a mahoosive budget makes. The latest team on Top Gear seem to gel pretty well, but the whole thing was Clarkson and Andy Wilman's baby. With them gone I wonder how long it will last. No doubt the BBC are enjoying the royalties from the constant feed on other sources.

no f in beer

Old-Salt
If a programme, TG in this instance, is rubbish on BBC2, what makes the beeb think moving it to BBC1 will a) make it better, and b) attract a younger audience !!

The 'youngsters' i know, mid 20's watch netflix and amazon prime, or steam movies, they have diddly squat interest in the beebs output - the shows they talk bore me with are on other channels, Love island et al.

I think the beebs days are numbered, and not very big numbers, Been trying to think of a programme i watch on the BBC, and for the life of me cannot think of one

Been trying to think of a programme i watch on the BBC, and for the life of me cannot think of one
The only thing I watched that the BBC put out was Doctor Who and they went ahead and fuked that up as well the kunts.

no f in beer

Old-Salt
Clarkson,May and Hammond can stil raise a laugh, but the current TG trio did not even drag a titter from me during the recent Peru thingy (which i recorded and forced myself to watch, mainly to confirm what i already knew)

The new one strikes me as three blokes trying much too hard to be funny.

Totally agree. The series regenerated really well under Le Blanc after they'd ditched the ginger twat.
I was sad to hear that he wouldn't make any more because of time constraints.

This new line-up seem to be just shoe-horned together.

The lack of real motoring knowledge shown by McGuinness and Flintoff just serves to dumb the programme down.

Yes, it was entertainment before but now it's just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

McGuinness and Flintoff are decent presenters in their own genre, but they just don't fit here.

Last edited:
I said I'd have a crack at presenting Top Gear, but the BBC reckoned an hour of me just saying "All Vauxhalls are shit & VW drivers are gayers" might get old pretty quick. It'd still be true, of course.

PFGEN

GCM
In the year's outing of TopGear I thought their trip through Nepal was reasonably well done even if it was just for the camera shots of part of the country most of us will never see. And now the "but". As others have pointed out its rehashing stuff the Grand Tour have done already and done well. Clarkson and co took a gamble by going only for specials and in the current series it appears that TopGear is now trying to copy them. I mentioned this earlier in that they still miss Wilman and his team and that's evident in the final polish and editing. Both are good but the Grand Tour version is, in my opinion, better.

The current TopGear version seems now to be rehashing ideas from the past, case in point, fast car versus F-35. In the show from two week ago it looked like they were having an attempt at killing Flintoff on a bungee jump. While watching that all I could think of was why.

The Grand Tour doesn't get off free either. It turns out that their last river special in boats, which was fascinating, damn near came close to drowning them. So much so that James May has already muttered that he/they might stop as they aren't getting any younger.

NSP

LE
I doubt it. He and Wilman sold their interest back to BBC Worldwide years ago. That's how they could get rid of him so easily.
I was thinking more in terms of the bigger budget and presumably bigger paycheque from Amazon for making them a bunch of highly-popular series with all the slapstick humour that made their BBC product so popular against the lacklustre offering now masquerading as "Top Gear" on BBC (personally, I find there's more charisma on Fifth Gear - and that features Tiff Needell, so that's saying something!).

Presumably despite selling his share of the production company/rights to the BBC he still commands repeat fees and royalties from Dave, Netflix and BBC Worldwide sales as "on-screen talent...?"

Totally agree. The series regenerated really well under Le Blanc after thay'd ditch the ginger twat.
I was sad to hear that he wouldn't make any more because of time constraints.

This new line-up seem to be just shoe-horned together.

The lack of real motoring knowledge shown by McGuinness and Flintoff just serve to dumn the programme down.

Yes, it was entertainment before but now it's just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

McGuinness and Flintoff are decent presenters in their own genre, but they just don't fit here.
Have they put Flintoff in a pedalo yet?

NSP

LE
As long as VB-H is a presenter, there is never any need to explain the reason for watching 5th Gear.
Ahh - yes; good point well made.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Rattler The NAAFI Bar 36
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 420
D The NAAFI Bar 38

Latest Threads