Clarkson on Musa Qala

In a recent attack on the small town of Musa Qala they encountered the Taliban in battalion strength. And that’s the first time Our Boys have faced such numbers since the Second World War.
Is it really? I think not.

Meanwhile, the Gurkhas are getting so close to the enemy that they are actually using their fearsome kukri knives.
I find that very hard to believe and think JC has made up a little white lie here!

They are coming home from fighting a bloody, horrible and pointless war, in hell.
I have more faith in the reconstruction of Afghanistan than in Iraq.

How dare thou question Clarkson! I think a visit from the emporer is in order for you.

I was PRT with 1 RGR on their beatup prior to deployment and plenty of the little buggers where keen to engage Terry with Khukri.

Fallschirmjager said:
In a recent attack on the small town of Musa Qala they encountered the Taliban in battalion strength. And that’s the first time Our Boys have faced such numbers since the Second World War.
Is it really? I think not.(1)

Meanwhile, the Gurkhas are getting so close to the enemy that they are actually using their fearsome kukri knives.
I find that very hard to believe and think JC has made up a little white lie here!(2)

They are coming home from fighting a bloody, horrible and pointless war, in hell.
I have more faith in the reconstruction of Afghanistan than in Iraq.(3)
I inserted the numbers.

1) True. All he probably had to do was insert the word "determined" before batalion and it would probably be correct. Not intending to deride previous achievements BTW.

2) I don't find it hard to believe. No idea wether it is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if the Ghurkhas deliberately tried to get hand-hand.

3) If your objection is (as I think it was), to the word pointless, I completely agree. I think a stable Afghanistan where it's citizens are better off is in Britian's interests.

On the whole I think it was a fair and damned good article. IMO he made a few minor errors but the intentions/sentiments are good.

Perturbed said:
I don't find it hard to believe. No idea wether it is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if the Ghurkhas deliberately tried to get hand-hand.
Why would they want to fight hand to hand. No other troops in modern history prefer hand to hand combat. Are you suggesting the Gurkhas do? Get real FFS.

Fallschirmjager said:
Perturbed said:
I don't find it hard to believe. No idea wether it is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if the Ghurkhas deliberately tried to get hand-hand.
Why would they want to fight hand to hand. No other troops in modern history prefer hand to hand combat. Are you suggesting the Gurkhas do? Get real FFS.
I am "suggesting" nothing of the sort. I was saying that if they did, it would not surprise me ie. I am neutral.

The Gurkhas probably think a bit differently to the rest of us and if they wanted to get into hand-hand combat for extra kudos by actually using the kukri, it would not surprise me. I do not expect them to do that but also, I would not be shocked if they did.

Any one whose worked with Ghurkhas will know three things:

they love cigarettes

they love knives

they sometimes hold hands

........and I can well imagine that some of the old kukaris have come out.

ps: don't smoke with them :)

Not wishing to blow smoke up anyones ass here and although JC does crackin' stories for the forces, I think he shares some affinity to them. I think he (Fallschirmjager) was trying to say we (The British Army) have faced this number of enemy before since the Second World War in "determined" Battalions - Korea "Gloster Hill" being only one of frankly too many. And as for going hand to hand, well I have it on it very good authority from my KINGO sorry LANCS mates that they would rather bang 30 mm into them. Well at least two reloads!!

Fallschirmjager said:
Are you the gullible type? Have you been reading too many books?
Actually, yes I can be gullible. I don't see how I am being gullible here though.

Perhaps you can explain how my position of saying that "I do not know" is gullible. Can you? Bear in mind I have jumped to no conclusions and evidence either way would sway me.Has any evidence been provided for either opinion? If so, could you post a link?

As to the books question: Is it possible to read too many books? I do read a lot. Is that a bad thing? I have almost always enjoyed reading.

We are straying from the topic here though by arguing over minor points in the thrust of the article. JC was bemoaning the aparant lack of interest by the news services in particular and the public in general while Britain is at war. He compared public information/interest in these wars and compared to the same in previous wars. I think that he made a good point (or two).

Perturbed said:
[I don't find it hard to believe. No idea wether it is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me if the Ghurkhas deliberately tried to get hand-hand.
Your quote above shows you to be naive and gullible. No man (unless he is insane) would like a knife fight with anyone if he has the option to use other means at his disposal. I'm not saying the Gurkhas aren't brave. It is human nature. Gurkhas are no braver than any other infantry regiment.

Fallschirmjager said:
But to believe that they would rather engage the enemy with knives is ludicrous. Anyone who believes this is either naive, gullible, stupid or all three.
They revere bravery and wish to emulate their ancestors

I agree with your comments Fall' ...but the Gurkhas that I've met are genuinely motivated by strong ancestral history

Back in 1974, I was 'christened' by a couple of my dads mates (Gurkhas in 3 Para?)

Much to my mums consternation, they laid their knifes around me ( a 3 month old baby) in some sort of ritual - and the kukari seems almost a religious icon to them?!?

it freaked my mum but my dad was well chuffed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Rattler The NAAFI Bar 36
dingerr The NAAFI Bar 420
rgjbloke The Intelligence Cell 4872