Clapping and appplause at funerals. Is it appropiate.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Aug 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It has become the practise for people to clap at funerals and rememberance parades. Maybe I should move with the times but this does not seem to me to be the appropriate response. Surely a dignified silence is the appropriate mark of respect at a funeral.

I suppose people feel that it isn't enough to stand silently and that they need to mark their respect with an outward show.

2. You are not the only old-fashioned one here-I fully agree with you.It does seem to strike an odd note on such occasions which,to my way of thinking,should be accompanied only by a dignified and respectful silence.

3. I'm with you.Stand quietly,with your own thoughts.

4. I much prefer to go along with tradition, there seems to me to be a link between tradition and respect.

One of the things that annoyed me was the Diana groupies getting freaked out at the fact that there was no flag flying a half mast at Buckingham Palace. Thus forcing a change to a very old tradition that they knew nothing about.

Must admit too, that I had a raised eyebrow moment watching a televised memorial in a garrison church to the Iraq fallen where a number of old boys were sitting together in the congregation with their ex-service berets on when clearly during their service days it would have been automatic to remove their headdress - as the serving soldiers in the pews in front of them had done. Whether it was mass-forgetfulness or curmudgeonly, 'we can do what we like'- take your pick!

5. It depends. I attended a funeral for a young Italian soldati who worked for me - died in a car crash. This was in the depths of Naples in a very large, very packed church. It was a very dour affair - until the coffin left the church - and the whole congregation applauded.

It was very moving and suited the occasion. I thought it was, on that occasion, excellent. Other times, perhaps not.

6. I find the clapping at Military Funerals innapropriate, it seems to be the norm now though unfortuantely.

Not very British in my opinion.

Steve

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

At my brother's funeral, everyone who spoke, spoke movingly and respectfully of him, and also spoke of the funny, lovable character he was.

I'm pleased to say that his service was marked by a good deal of tears, humour, clapping and even cheers. The people that had come to see him off all thought it was a great service, and it did him justice.

His wake was pretty damned good too!

I believe that the passing of a person should be marked by people expressing what they wish, in the manner they wish, for that is more respectful to the memory of a person than a formalised, silent ritual.

8. As a rule I will remain quiet with my thoughts but have been to funerals of friends that were funny and clappy, so horses for courses and go with the flow

9. People have to show to teh world how much the care, and how much they are greaving....

It will probably get worse.

Anyone remember that dozy bint shouting hysterically "bless her, bless her" as Princess Diana rolled past on her funeral?

The days of stoicially standing in silence are gone.

Just check out the "road side shrines" as evidence of that.

10. I think Biped has it nailed down pretty well.

Personally, I wouldn't clap, but whatever way the public feel they can show there appreciation is good for me.

Not very British? Probably, but neither was lining the streets of Wooten Basset until recently, spontaneous and unscripted. Now that IS British!

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Funerals aren't for the dead, they're for the living. The deceased has already started to decompose so their feelings on the matter really don't count.

Celebrate the person's life if you loved them. Clap, cheer & get hammered if you wish.

Remembrance Days or Parades though where we remember all of the war dead should be an exception as we may well not know any of the dead or know them at least at some remove.

12. over the last few years i have been to meny ex soldiers Funerals.. every one of them have been different...

its something "new" clapping however it is getting more common with the younger ones..

i think as other have said ..at a funeral,, do as the rest do,, but on the 11th Nov ect .. stand still, and keep quite..

13. I find wailing and gnashing of teeth much more socially acceptable.

14. Agreed.

(NB: were my boss to snuff it I would happily tap dance on his coffin no matter how sober the gathering)

15. What will you all do when its Gordon Browns funeral?